Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm…

Outliers: The Story of Success

by Malcolm Gladwell

10,554340269 (3.95)1 / 240
    Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (dste)
    dste: Another interesting book that looks at some ideas we think are right and turns them upside down.
    The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Anonymous user)
    The Drunkard's Walk : How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow (infiniteletters)
    The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation by Frans Johansson (edwinbcn)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton (peter_vandenbrande)
    The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. by Daniel Coyle (infiniteletters)
    Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin (infiniteletters)
    Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success by Matthew Syed (ANeumann)
    Young Nietzsche by Carl Pletsch (galacticus)
    galacticus: Both books deal with genius. Gladwell touches on genius as a study in success, what it takes generally; Pletsch as a study of one mans desire to be a genius.
    De HR-ballon tien populaire praktijken doorprikt by Patrick Vermeren (peter_vandenbrande)

English (331)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (338)
Book centered around the premise that the most successful people in the world not only had the right genetic predisposition, but also a unique combination of external factors that allowed them to thrive in the way they did.

Still, even though Gates was lucky and had early access to computers, he still had the aptitude and attitude required to take full advantage of those opportunities. As Jim Collins would say, it's about "return on luck". ( )
  shakazul | Jul 4, 2017 |
There are books that make you think and then there are books that make you think and somehow along the way manage to change your entire perception. “Outliers” is the last of the two. When I received my syllabus for this semester I felt a tad miffed because I noticed that one author was mentioned twice as required reading. “How can this ever help me with the emerging trends in higher education?” I asked myself. The answer to that question remains unanswered; however, I have realized that this book can help me with my life and my own personal success.

Like the author I have spent a decent chunk of my life wondering what it is that makes some people successful and others not as successful. Like most of the population, who haven’t yet read “Outliers,” I assumed that these people must have some characteristics that separate them from everyone else. After all, the self-help section is full of books trying to sell you on the habits or characteristics you must have if you want to succeed. Malcolm Gladwell looks deeper into various success stories and reveals that so much more goes into success. Success is more about factors you cannot control like your birth date, your culture, where you are from. It really was a fascinating read and I have not stopped talking about it to everyone I meet. I would strongly encourage everyone to take a few hours and read it for themselves. This is not a read you will regret.
  Emma_Manolis | Jun 27, 2017 |
Well written, this book shows that in successful ventures circumstances are often more determining than the self.
However, scientific rigour is not the author's forte. It works when you show a very unlikely situation happening often and give a reasonable explanation for it, but then the book degenerates into a collection of anecdotes about successful people who had a good environment, which doesn't give much more weight to the argument. It's just a series of examples that help illustrate it. We shouldn't dwell on them to much, but they are interesting and fun facts about known successful people :) ( )
  Rayan_NM | Jun 4, 2017 |
This book is about outliers, or actually that there are no outliers. Gladwell looks at people who are uniquely gifted and successful and argues that their success does not come from their own talent and brilliance. Rather, a combination of factors contribute to make that person successful (serendipitous circumstances, when they were born, some giftedness, upbringing and about 10,000 hours of work). I like Gladwell's writing. I have no idea if the inferences he makes about people's success are true, but I hope they are. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Gladwell tackles the topic of success in a manner that is innovative and thought provoking. Considering society’s penchant for the underdog success story, Outliers is particularly eye-opening in regards to how it refutes what we consider the necessary ingredients of success. Considering not only some of the most famous success stories, such as Bill Gates, but also more complex notions of success such as the Asian proclivity for math and the abstract idea of genius, this text is slight yet substantial. While Gladwell’s discussion of aspects of success is engaging, what most lends to this book’s greatness is its ability to offer perspective on unique cultural concepts, such as the Power Distance Index (PDI) and the culture of honor, and the role these concepts play in our societies and personal lives. (I apologize for using the word "success" so many times in this review...) ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
“Outliers” has much in common with Gladwell’s earlier work. It is a pleasure to read and leaves you mulling over its inventive theories for days afterward. It also, unfortunately, avoids grappling in a few instances with research that casts doubt on those theories. This is a particular shame, because it would be a delight to watch someone of his intellect and clarity make sense of seemingly conflicting claims.

The world for Gladwell is a text that he reads as closely as he can in seeking to decode and interpret it. He is adept at identifying underlying trends from which he extrapolates to form hypotheses, presenting them as if they were general laws of social behaviour. But his work has little philosophical rigour. He's not an epistemologist; his interest is in what we think, rather than in the how and why of knowledge itself.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Jason Cowley (Nov 23, 2008)

The book, which purports to explain the real reason some people — like Bill Gates and the Beatles — are successful, is peppy, brightly written and provocative in a buzzy sort of way. It is also glib, poorly reasoned and thoroughly unconvincing.

For Daisy
Roseto Valfortore lies one hundred miles southeast of Rome in the Apennine foothills of the Italian province of Foggia.
out•li•er\-,lī(-ə)r\ noun
1: something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body.
2: a statistical observation that is marked different in value from the others of the sample.
Pretty good book to discuss some interesting phenomena in real life, and tries to find a reasonable explanation for them. It is good to read a book life this to discuss the success, by uncovering not so well-known facts like for Bill Gates, and some other people in computer science, which I have been learning by self-study for a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316017922, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, November 2008: Now that he's gotten us talking about the viral life of ideas and the power of gut reactions, Malcolm Gladwell poses a more provocative question in Outliers: why do some people succeed, living remarkably productive and impactful lives, while so many more never reach their potential? Challenging our cherished belief of the "self-made man," he makes the democratic assertion that superstars don't arise out of nowhere, propelled by genius and talent: "they are invariably the beneficiaries of hidden advantages and extraordinary opportunities and cultural legacies that allow them to learn and work hard and make sense of the world in ways others cannot." Examining the lives of outliers from Mozart to Bill Gates, he builds a convincing case for how successful people rise on a tide of advantages, "some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky."

Outliers can be enjoyed for its bits of trivia, like why most pro hockey players were born in January, how many hours of practice it takes to master a skill, why the descendents of Jewish immigrant garment workers became the most powerful lawyers in New York, how a pilots' culture impacts their crash record, how a centuries-old culture of rice farming helps Asian kids master math. But there's more to it than that. Throughout all of these examples--and in more that delve into the social benefits of lighter skin color, and the reasons for school achievement gaps--Gladwell invites conversations about the complex ways privilege manifests in our culture. He leaves us pondering the gifts of our own history, and how the world could benefit if more of our kids were granted the opportunities to fulfill their remarkable potential. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

The best-selling author of Blink identifies the qualities of successful people, posing theories about the cultural, family, and idiosyncratic factors that shape high achievers, in a resource that covers such topics as the secrets of software billionaires, why certain cultures are associated with better academic performance, and why the Beatles earned their fame.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,069,832 books! | Top bar: Always visible