Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm…

Outliers: The Story of Success (edition 2008)

by Malcolm Gladwell

10,428336275 (3.95)1 / 236
Member:Mtunzini
Title:Outliers: The Story of Success
Authors:Malcolm Gladwell
Info:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 320 pages
Tags:Business, Read 2009, Uwe's book, 2009 11 05, R174, Economics

Outliers: The Story of Success by Malcolm Gladwell

Freakonomics: A Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by Steven D. Levitt (dste)
    dste: Another interesting book that looks at some ideas we think are right and turns them upside down.
    The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Anonymous user)
    The Drunkard's Walk : How Randomness Rules Our Lives by Leonard Mlodinow (infiniteletters)
    The Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation by Frans Johansson (edwinbcn)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by Carol Dweck (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more)
    Status Anxiety by Alain de Botton (peter_vandenbrande)
    The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. by Daniel Coyle (infiniteletters)
    Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by Geoff Colvin (infiniteletters)
    Bounce: Mozart, Federer, Picasso, Beckham, and the Science of Success by Matthew Syed (ANeumann)
    Young Nietzsche by Carl Pletsch (galacticus)
    galacticus: Both books deal with genius. Gladwell touches on genius as a study in success, what it takes generally; Pletsch as a study of one mans desire to be a genius.
    De HR-ballon tien populaire praktijken doorprikt by Patrick Vermeren (peter_vandenbrande)

English (328)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  Spanish (1)  Finnish (1)  All (335)
This book is about outliers, or actually that there are no outliers. Gladwell looks at people who are uniquely gifted and successful and argues that their success does not come from their own talent and brilliance. Rather, a combination of factors contribute to make that person successful (serendipitous circumstances, when they were born, some giftedness, upbringing and about 10,000 hours of work). I like Gladwell's writing. I have no idea if the inferences he makes about people's success are true, but I hope they are. ( )
  Jamichuk | May 22, 2017 |
Gladwell tackles the topic of success in a manner that is innovative and thought provoking. Considering society’s penchant for the underdog success story, Outliers is particularly eye-opening in regards to how it refutes what we consider the necessary ingredients of success. Considering not only some of the most famous success stories, such as Bill Gates, but also more complex notions of success such as the Asian proclivity for math and the abstract idea of genius, this text is slight yet substantial. While Gladwell’s discussion of aspects of success is engaging, what most lends to this book’s greatness is its ability to offer perspective on unique cultural concepts, such as the Power Distance Index (PDI) and the culture of honor, and the role these concepts play in our societies and personal lives. (I apologize for using the word "success" so many times in this review...) ( )
  GennaC | May 9, 2017 |
In Outliers, Malcolm Gladwell accomplished with me what I believe he wanted to accomplish with all his readers: he changed my view of success. Gladwell sets to disprove the very American idea that if we only pull hard enough on our own boot straps, we will all achieve the level of success we "deserve." Part story, part research, part opinion, Outliers explores a variety of factors that influence the outcome of our efforts, from everything to birth month to parenting styles to farming methods. This book is very conversational in tone, and I often imagined I was sitting down with Gladwell myself, having an exchange on success. Though he does present his ideas with a certain bias, Gladwell is not force-feeding us his opinion. Instead, he encourages us to look outside the box and consider factors we wouldn't always consider. I have already recommended this book to a couple of my students who are interested in such topics, and I will probably revisit it myself in the future. ( )
  cskaemmerling | May 7, 2017 |
Interesting read from the beginning with many novel findings behind one's success.
However, the author in the last chapter too aggressively concluded about the external environments of people on success with which I dont agree completely.
  Adonisvu | Feb 22, 2017 |
A fascinating and quick read. While somewhat discouraging since a person's success is never determined by their ability alone, Outliers is also encouraging by giving us the secrets behind many individuals' success and telling us how we can increase those opportunities for individuals who otherwise might slip through the cracks without their potential ever being realized. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
“Outliers” has much in common with Gladwell’s earlier work. It is a pleasure to read and leaves you mulling over its inventive theories for days afterward. It also, unfortunately, avoids grappling in a few instances with research that casts doubt on those theories. This is a particular shame, because it would be a delight to watch someone of his intellect and clarity make sense of seemingly conflicting claims.

The world for Gladwell is a text that he reads as closely as he can in seeking to decode and interpret it. He is adept at identifying underlying trends from which he extrapolates to form hypotheses, presenting them as if they were general laws of social behaviour. But his work has little philosophical rigour. He's not an epistemologist; his interest is in what we think, rather than in the how and why of knowledge itself.
added by mikeg2 | editThe Guardian, Jason Cowley (Nov 23, 2008)

The book, which purports to explain the real reason some people — like Bill Gates and the Beatles — are successful, is peppy, brightly written and provocative in a buzzy sort of way. It is also glib, poorly reasoned and thoroughly unconvincing.

For Daisy
Roseto Valfortore lies one hundred miles southeast of Rome in the Apennine foothills of the Italian province of Foggia.
out•li•er\-,lī(-ə)r\ noun
1: something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body.
2: a statistical observation that is marked different in value from the others of the sample.
Pretty good book to discuss some interesting phenomena in real life, and tries to find a reasonable explanation for them. It is good to read a book life this to discuss the success, by uncovering not so well-known facts like for Bill Gates, and some other people in computer science, which I have been learning by self-study for a long time.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316017922, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, November 2008: Now that he's gotten us talking about the viral life of ideas and the power of gut reactions, Malcolm Gladwell poses a more provocative question in Outliers: why do some people succeed, living remarkably productive and impactful lives, while so many more never reach their potential? Challenging our cherished belief of the "self-made man," he makes the democratic assertion that superstars don't arise out of nowhere, propelled by genius and talent: "they are invariably the beneficiaries of hidden advantages and extraordinary opportunities and cultural legacies that allow them to learn and work hard and make sense of the world in ways others cannot." Examining the lives of outliers from Mozart to Bill Gates, he builds a convincing case for how successful people rise on a tide of advantages, "some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky."

Outliers can be enjoyed for its bits of trivia, like why most pro hockey players were born in January, how many hours of practice it takes to master a skill, why the descendents of Jewish immigrant garment workers became the most powerful lawyers in New York, how a pilots' culture impacts their crash record, how a centuries-old culture of rice farming helps Asian kids master math. But there's more to it than that. Throughout all of these examples--and in more that delve into the social benefits of lighter skin color, and the reasons for school achievement gaps--Gladwell invites conversations about the complex ways privilege manifests in our culture. He leaves us pondering the gifts of our own history, and how the world could benefit if more of our kids were granted the opportunities to fulfill their remarkable potential. --Mari Malcolm

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:07 -0400)

The best-selling author of Blink identifies the qualities of successful people, posing theories about the cultural, family, and idiosyncratic factors that shape high achievers, in a resource that covers such topics as the secrets of software billionaires, why certain cultures are associated with better academic performance, and why the Beatles earned their fame.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,365,037 books! | Top bar: Always visible