Yer 'arbourCrewsChinwaggin'Crow's nest

Click on yer miniature to sail to Google Books.

Outliers: The Story of Success by the dread…
Hauling away...

Outliers: The Story of Success (edition 2008)

by the dread pirate Malcolm Gladwell

CrewmatesArr! ReviewsPopulARRrityCrew sysJaw flappin' / Mentions
8,839289341 (3.95)1 / 204
Matey:jdr857
Tome:Outliers: The Story of Success
Them scribblers:Malcolm Gladwell
Pearls o' Wisdom:Little, Brown and Company (2008), Edition: 1, Hardcover, 309 pages
Piles o' Booty:Yer cargo
How ye liked it:****1/2
Pennons:Nought

Outliers: The Story of Success by the scurvy dog Malcolm Gladwell

Freakonomics: a Rogue Economist Explores the Hidden Side of Everything by the scurvy dog Steven D. Levitt (dste)
    dste: Another interesting book that looks at some ideas we think are right and turns them upside down.
    The Black Swan: The Impact of the Highly Improbable by the scurvy dog Nassim Nicholas Taleb (Anonymous user)
    The Drunkard's Walk : How Randomness Rules Our Lives by the scurvy dog Leonard Mlodinow (infiniteletters)
    Medici Effect: What Elephants and Epidemics Can Teach Us About Innovation by the scurvy dog Frans Johansson (edwinbcn)
    Mindset: The New Psychology of Success by the scurvy dog Carol Dweck (peter_vandenbrande)
    peter_vandenbrande: Beide auteurs benadrukken dat je talent moet ontwikkelen om succesvol te worden. Ze ondergraven allebei de mythe dat alleen geniale mensen de top kunnen bereiken. Carol Dweck werkt het hoe en waarom van deze "growth mindset" uit, Malcolm Gladwell nuanceert tegelijk de invloed van deze individuele inspanningen door "toeval" in het verhaal te brengen: hoe omstandigheden en toevallige kansen van invloed zijn op uiteindelijk succes.… (more!)
    Status Anxiety by the scurvy dog Alain De Botton (peter_vandenbrande)
    The Talent Code: Greatness Isn't Born. It's Grown. Here's How. by the scurvy dog Daniel Coyle (infiniteletters)
    Talent Is Overrated: What Really Separates World-Class Performers from Everybody Else by the scurvy dog Geoff Colvin (infiniteletters)
    Bounce: The Myth of Talent and the Power of Practice by the scurvy dog Matthew Syed (ANeumann)
    Young Nietzsche by the scurvy dog Carl Pletsch (galacticus)
    galacticus: Both books deal with genius. Gladwell touches on genius as a study in success, what it takes generally; Pletsch as a study of one mans desire to be a genius.
    De HR-ballon tien populaire praktijken doorprikt by the scurvy dog Patrick Vermeren (peter_vandenbrande)
Hauling away...

An easy read of these sort of books, business or pop psychology, and interesting. It seems to speak to the current meme: you didn't do it by yourself. Success is a combination of timing, family, opportunities, talent, intelligence and passion. Miss one and you don't achieve as much as you could have. ( )
  susanbeamon | Aug 19, 2014 |
I really liked this book. I think it has a good theory on how to be great at what you want to do in life: Spend 10,000 hours doing it, and not just 8,000.

There are other measures to be taken, of course. But Gladwell does present some good evidence for his theories. He suggests that it is *always* hard work, and other times it is being born at the right time that makes it possible.

Benedict8 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Very interesting. Solid support for the theory of successful people being in the right place at the right time, down to their birthdates and places of birth! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
Fantastic!interesting ideas! ( )
  abigail33 | Jun 24, 2014 |
I'm quite fond of Malcolm Gladwell, and I've been looking forward to this book for a while. I think I read it in about a day I enjoyed it so much.

Sociological patterns and case studies and most of all the very human way which he writes hasn't disappointed me. And this is quite a smart view on success that is realistic and yet optimistic.

So thanks again Gladwell! ( )
  cendri | May 30, 2014 |
no reviews | add yer opinyon
You must log in to change the stuff we be knowin'.
For more help see the stuff we be knowin' help page.
Series (with ordARR)
Wha most mateys call it
Information from th' English Common Knowledge. Edit to localize it to th' Piratical one.
F'rst scribbled
Scallywags
Important ports
What's hap'n'in'
There be prizes!
For Daisy
Startin' out
Roseto Valfortore lies one hundred miles southeast of Rome in the Apennine foothills of the Italian province of Foggia.
What the sprogs be sayin'
out•li•er-,lī(-ə)r noun
1: something that is situated away from or classed differently from a main or related body.
2: a statistical observation that is marked different in value from the others of the sample.
Final flappin'
(Click if'n ya wish to see. Warning: May let the cat out o' the bag.)
How these be diff'rent
Land lubbers
Original lingo
Tome description

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0316017922, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, November 2008: Now that he's gotten us talking about the viral life of ideas and the power of gut reactions, Malcolm Gladwell poses a more provocative question in Outliers: why do some people succeed, living remarkably productive and impactful lives, while so many more never reach their potential? Challenging our cherished belief of the "self-made man," he makes the democratic assertion that superstars don't arise out of nowhere, propelled by genius and talent: "they are invariably the beneficiaries of hidden advantages and extraordinary opportunities and cultural legacies that allow them to learn and work hard and make sense of the world in ways others cannot." Examining the lives of outliers from Mozart to Bill Gates, he builds a convincing case for how successful people rise on a tide of advantages, "some deserved, some not, some earned, some just plain lucky."

Outliers can be enjoyed for its bits of trivia, like why most pro hockey players were born in January, how many hours of practice it takes to master a skill, why the descendents of Jewish immigrant garment workers became the most powerful lawyers in New York, how a pilots' culture impacts their crash record, how a centuries-old culture of rice farming helps Asian kids master math. But there's more to it than that. Throughout all of these examples--and in more that delve into the social benefits of lighter skin color, and the reasons for school achievement gaps--Gladwell invites conversations about the complex ways privilege manifests in our culture. He leaves us pondering the gifts of our own history, and how the world could benefit if more of our kids were granted the opportunities to fulfill their remarkable potential. --Mari Malcolm

(raided from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:47:31 -0400)

The best-selling author of Blink identifies the qualities of successful people, posing theories about the cultural, family, and idiosyncratic factors that shape high achievers, in a resource that covers such topics as the secrets of software billionaires, why certain cultures are associated with better academic performance, and why the Beatles earned their fame.… (more!)

Pillage Etomes Audio

PopulARR covers

How ye liked it

AvARRage: (3.95)

Two editions 'o 'tis book were published by Audible.com.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

Yarr, is this ye?

Advice from old salts | The lowdown | Secluded cove / Rules o' engagement | Ship's log | Hoist us a signal | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Aye, 'tis the stuff we be knowin'! | Dead Men's Chests (Dead Wenches too) | Night watch | 92,794,266 tomes! | Top barrrrr: Always visible