The Ghost of Flight 401 by John G. Fuller

The Ghost of Flight 401 (1976)

by John G. Fuller

Ghosts of crew members killed in the 1972 Eastern Airlines Everglades disaster haunt the crews and passengers of other flights.

Another DNF. This one was just to depressing to read. Every time I start to read it I think about all those people that died in that plane and it just depresses the hell out of me. Its just so sad. ( )
  Sam-Teegarden | Jun 2, 2018 |
The Ghost of Flight 401 was about the crash of Eastern Airlines Flight 401 into the Everglades in 1972 and the supernatural happenings that were reported afterward. I vaguely remember the crash as my dad flew for TWA and airline crashes would be a hot topic at our house. My dad gave me the book some time ago, and now that I've read it I'll have to ask him if had heard of any of the ghost sightings - TWA leased some of Eastern's L-1011's during their slower periods.

The best and most well-written parts of the book for me were the description of the passengers and crew and timeline up to the crash and its aftermath, including the rescue efforts, crash investigation and then the reporting of the ghost sightings.

The weakest parts for me were when the author waxed philosophical about the possible meaning and cause of the ghost sightings. He went on and on about how difficult it was for him to even investigate this aspect because everyone would think he was crazy and he writes about real science like nuclear power, etc. I was thinking, just get on with it - tell us what you found. ( )
  LisaMorr | Feb 14, 2016 |
Quite a story. It was subsequently made into a movie and has featured in several documentaries. Whether or not you believe in ghosts ( I have an open mind), the salient facts are undeniable. The sightings were independently reported by a number of Eastern Airlines staff, and the sightings were only reported on aircraft where parts from the crashed jet were re-used. Perhaps the most interesting part of the story was the seriousness with which Eastern took the reported sightings. Officially sceptical, they went to the trouble of employing psychologists and other qualified people to interview and assess the staff concerned. A very interesting read. ( )
  drmaf | Sep 10, 2013 |
The book is extremely detailed, a thing a favor in all books I read. Narrating his investigation, John Fuller also filled the book with accounts of real people that were in the accident or related to it, the sightings of the ghosts, and his endeavour to find the true meaning of life after death takes you on many paranormal twists that the author experiences, as you read further, you come upon detailed happenings, during the narrated incident and afterwards, this book is sure to entertain the paranormal mind, wether you believe or not and it will change many´s skepticism as well.

The story is based on the researching of a man that was struck by the rumors hovering above most airliner crews, sightings of ghosts in Eastern´s L-1011 jumbo jets, he was eventually very interested and decided to dig deeper on the events. I liked how at the end, he was changed by his research, and how the story tells of an odd event: apparitions in a modern jet, people always think the place of a ghost is in an old manor or even ships, but who would imagine, that while traveling at 20,000 Feet up in the air, a ghost would just pop up? This is what caught my attention and what eventually made me read it.

I personally believe in ghosts, and the paranormal experiences of the author in this book reassured me that paranormal events exist. Fuller also tells the reader all his eventual research, the collected opinions of different mediums and people that study the paranormal field, the book teaches you a manner of topics, but in these areas are where people get bored, just as I was. In a short sentence: the book is interesting and good for people that are seeking real paranormal events and more knowledge on the topic. ( )
  Erick_W | Oct 13, 2011 |
The blurb makes this book sound interesting and exciting, doesn't it? Don't be fooled! There are a few scattered accounts of encounters with the ghosts, and a thrilling dramatisation of the crash and its aftermath, but those are the only interesting bits. The vast majority of this book is an account of why Mr Fuller wrote the book and how he went about doing so. This has to be the most boring ghost story I've ever read! ( )
1 vote seldombites | Aug 4, 2009 |
To Elizabeth
I have been conditioned all my life to think that there are no such things as ghosts.
Foreword: I first heard of the ghost of Flight 401 on a Scandinavian Airlines flight from Stockholm to Copenhagen, in March 1974.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,389,012 books! | Top bar: Always visible