Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth…

Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age 5

by Steven P. Shelov (Editor)

This is my absolute favorite book for parents: Caring for Your Baby and Young Child: Birth to Age Five by The American Academy of Pediatrics.

My sister-in-law gave this to me when I was expecting my son, and I absolutely love it. It addresses all stages of child development, initially month by month, then by year. It has a section on first aid for young children. It’s informative and yet easy to read. I think it is a wonderful parenting resource and a perfect book for parents of young children. I suggest giving it to moms-to-be as a baby shower gift, because it is one I refer to all the time!
  rebeccareid | Jun 24, 2011 |
This book is absolutely awesome!! I have never referenced a book as much as I do this one!! This book is a must have for parents everywhere!! ( )
  lovelyliquid | May 24, 2010 |
A big fat book from the American Academy of Pediatrics gets four stars from me because I simply haven't found anything better, although I'm not a huge fan, I find it to be trustworthy and fairly complete. The first 500 pages are tips and warnings and developmental milestones and so on. The remaining 350 pages is an encyclopedia of diseases, childhood conditions, and illness symptoms than a worried parent can use to get an idea of whether or not their little one really has measles, or just hives. ( )
  ArcticLlama | May 11, 2010 |
I recieved this as a baby shower present with my son, and since, I've given this at every baby shower I've gone to. It provides excellent, level-headed advice, gives suggestions for special cases, explains illnesses, and provides useful milestones for children. I read it religiously for the first 9 months before learning that the main lesson they were giving me was to trust my instincts and love my child-everything else just works itself out. ( )
1 vote kaelirenee | Jan 10, 2007 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 055338290X, Paperback)

The organization that represents the nation’s finest pediatricians and the most advanced research and practice in the field of child health answers all your medical and parenting questions. Here is sound, reassuring advice on child rearing that covers everything from preparing for childbirth to toilet training to nurturing your child’s self-esteem. Here, too, is an indispensable guide to recognizing and solving common childhood health problems, plus detailed instructions for coping with emergency medical situations.

Comprehensive, accurate, and doctor-approved, Caring for Your Baby and Young Child provides the very latest state-of-the-art information, including:

• Basic care from infancy through age five
• Guidelines and milestones for physical, emotional,
social, and cognitive growth
• A complete health encyclopedia covering injuries, illnesses,
congenital diseases, and other disabilities
• Guidelines for prenatal and newborn care with sections
on maternal nutrition, exercise, and screening tests during pregnancy
• An in-depth guide to breastfeeding, including its benefits,
techniques, and challenges
• A complete guide for immunizations and updated information
on vaccine safety
• A guide for choosing child care programs and car safety seats
• Ways to reduce your child’s exposure to environmental hazards,
such as tobacco smoke
• New sections on grandparents, stay-at-home dads,
computers and the Internet, and much more

Caring for Your Baby and Young Child is an essential child care resource for all parents who want to provide the very best for their children—and the one guide pediatricians routinely recommend and parents can safely trust.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:06:18 -0400)

Provides advice for parents of children ages five and under, discussing how to prepare for a new baby, childbirth, basic care, feeding, growth and development, behavior and safety issues, sleep, allergies, and other topics; and features an encyclopedic guide to recognizing and solving health problems.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,441,538 books! | Top bar: Always visible