Hattie And The Fox by Mem Fox

Hattie And The Fox (edition 1992)

by Mem Fox, Patricia Mullins (Illustrator)

Member:NatRenschen
Title:Hattie And The Fox
Authors:Mem Fox
Other authors:Patricia Mullins (Illustrator)
Info:Aladdin (1992), Paperback, 32 pages
Tags:animal fantasy

Hattie And The Fox by Mem Fox

Summary: Hattie spies something slowly creeping out from the bushes, and tries to warn the other farm animals, but no one is interested until they learn that--oh my!--it's a fox!

Review: As I read this book, I was reminded of the story, "The Little Red Hen." Part of that was because the main character was a hen, talking to other animals, but the other part of that was the repetitious nature of the tale; none of the barnyard animals have much to say that is original. All they do is repeat themselves, unconcernedly going about their lazy business, until they see the fox. Then, oh do they move! I really loved the ending, with the cow mooing loudly to scare away the fox...I did not see that one coming! I also found the illustrations really interesting because they are somewhat abstract in style, which I think complements the author's simplistic writing style. This really is a charming book.

Central Idea of Hattie and the Fox: It is important to listen to what your friends have to say. ( )
  jlampr1 | Aug 28, 2014 |
As usual, Mem Fox can retell a children's classic better than most while keeping true to the story. ( )
  weisser4 | Jun 3, 2014 |
Hattie and the Fox is about Hattie, a big black hen, who sees a fox in the bushes and cause a stir on the farm.

I liked this book because it is similar to the boy who cried wolf but in a different setting and with different characters.

The ages/grade levels I would use this book for are 3-7/preschool-2nd grade.
  awanalex | Dec 10, 2013 |
This story is about the han Hattie who tries to let other animals know that there is something in the bushes. Yet, most of the animals do not care about what she said until something happened in the end.
This is a very cute book to talk about different animals.
This is a good book for 2nd graders and 3rd graders. ( )
  ChengYenLee | Nov 18, 2013 |
Hattie And The Fox is a book about a chicken who tries to warn her friends of danger in the bushes. I liked this book because it teaches a lesson about caution and not lying. I would use this in a first or second grade classroom.
  alyssahagen | Nov 11, 2013 |

Fox, Memprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Mullins, PatriciaIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

I can see a nose and two eyes in the bushes!" cries Hattie.

But nobody is listening.

"I can see a nose, two eyes, two ears, two legs, and a body in the bushes!" cries Hattie.

But no one is paying a bit of attention.

Not goose. Not pig. Not horse. Not cow.

She tries again and again to warn her friends of danger, but nobody listens to Hattie.

That is, until they all realize that what Hattie is saying is true!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:59:17 -0400)

Hattie, a big black hen, discovers a fox in the bushes, which creates varying reactions in the other barnyard animals.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,364,629 books! | Top bar: Always visible