The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks

The Wishsong of Shannara (original 1985; edition 1992)

by Terry Brooks

Member:niamibunni
Title:The Wishsong of Shannara
Authors:Terry Brooks
Info:Ballantine Books (1992), Paperback

The Wishsong of Shannara by Terry Brooks (1985)

English (18)  Italian (1)  All languages (19)
3rd in series, read before any others. Did not require previous books to understand, but there was frequent mention of adventures of relatives.
One danger after another narrowly escaped. Incredible wins with overwhelming odds in fighting, treks thru swamps and caverns with magical attackers.
Yes, there is a moral, and Brooks was careful to spell it out for us: Power Corrupts, and Love Conquers All. ( )
  juniperSun | Sep 29, 2014 |
Another old favourite (although originally less dear to me than Elfstones), my reread has been only slightly challenged by Brooks' patriarchal bias. Jair, the younger Ohmsford, gets to think himself better than his sister because 'she's only a girl' and in spite of his youth Allanon refers to him as Valeman, while the older Brin gets the diminishing Valegirl (as does Kimber when she appears). Grr. At least Slanter categorically refuses to class Jair as anything other than a boy.

However, once past all that (and past a certain discomfort with the way the Gnomes are described), I've enjoyed the story itself - more engaging, better written and better developed than Elfstones - as well as more complicated in terms of its psychology, which may well be why I'm preferring it now but didn't back then. Definitely a darker cousin, and richer for it. ( )
1 vote imyril | Dec 13, 2013 |
SHANNARA
  rustyoldboat | May 28, 2011 |
I found this book a real struggle, but then I have been reading the Shannara books quite regularly recently to try and clear some space on my book shelves and I think that with this book I have reached my limit. I love the whole idea of the timeline that Brooks has created from present day through the great wars to the creation of Shannara and the history of the kingdom beyond and the survival and creation of the races, but some of the individual books in this seem to have left me a little cold.
I really didn’t get on with the Word and the Void trilogy, although I really liked the idea of the Knight of the Word, enjoyed the Genesis of Shannara series and the first of the Legends of Shannara books and will probably read The Measure of the Magic when it comes out this year. I also quite liked the First King of Shannara but then I hit the Sword of Shannara and it all went downhill again for me. The Sword of Shannara is incredibly derivative although due to its age this is probably forgivable and although The Elfstones was a slightly better effort and the Wishsong started ok I just lost the will to live halfway through and the rest of the book was a struggle.
Apart from Measure of the Magic I think I will probably stop here with this series and I am debating whether I should start the Magic Kingdom of Landover series at all or whether I should just take them to the charity shop so that others can enjoy them and I can clear another couple of inches of shelf space… ( )
  twiglet12 | Apr 14, 2011 |
Great addition to a great series. ( )
  willowcove | Sep 1, 2010 |

Terry Brooksprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Stone, SteveCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For
Lester Del Rey
Expert
A change of seasons was upon the Four Lands as late summer faded slowly into autumn.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0345356365, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:44:10 -0400)

Horror stalked the Four Lands as the Ildatch, ancient source of evil, sent its ghastly Mord Wraiths to destroy Mankind. Only Druid Allanon held the magic power of wishsong that could make plants bloom instantly or turn trees from green to autumn gold. But she, too, was in mortal danger, and Ildatch waited for Brin to fall into his trap.… (more)

Seven editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,308,742 books! | Top bar: Always visible