The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

3,2462551,707 (4.07)1 / 389

English (248)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (255)
Yuk! I had a hard time getting started with this one. Todd, the central character, seemed very angry and very stupid. Always yelling and never listening. I kept going when I realized that the narrator was yelling because the text was in all capital letters. But the continued violence and the total lack of an ending really put me off. The injuries that Todd endured did not seem realistic at all. It felt like gratuitous violence to me. I was unable to find a message to redeem this book. ( )
  njcur | Aug 29, 2015 |
I've read enough dystopian novels to last a lifetime, so suffice it to say that it's pretty hard to impress me anymore. In fact, this review should probably be taken with a grain of salt, given my new level of boredom with them. There are just too many crazy, twisted plots out there and this is one of them.

From the get go this book made little sense to me. Worse than that, very little was resolved for me by the end. I felt like I was reading in a fog, or trying to read print too small, or reading through a distorted lens. It was not fun for me. I'm not even going to get into a discussion of the plot. I'll leave that to someone who ended the book with a clear head. I will say that it annoys me when an author doesn't resolve the plot, and expects you to read the next book in the series. Every book should stand alone, even in a series.

Then there's these other two points that really got on my nerves with this book. 1) The ridiculous redneck accent that the author could not keep consistent, and 2) The mind reading dog. Does this author really expect us to believe that some future event could make it possible for dogs to communicate telepathically in English with humans? Please. Being able to hear the thoughts of everyone around you was a lame enough plot without throwing talking animals into it. As for the pseudo southern accent, there was nothing wrong with that if the author could have made it believable. Instead he would throw it out there every now and then, drop it after a couple paragraphs, and pick it up again in the next chapter.

Anyone who wants something far out there and different, you might like this book. Anyone who wants an author who leaves lots of discrepancies in the plot, you will love this book. ( )
  valorrmac | Aug 19, 2015 |
Todd Hewitt is the last boy in Prentisstown on New World. A month before his 13th birthday that will turn him into a man, he encounters something he has never experienced before in his life: a spot of silence among a world where the Noise - men's and animals' thoughts audible to others - is omnipresent. But shortly after his return home to the farm, someone has already caught wind of Todd's experience and wants to investigate. Feeling they have no other choice, Todd's guardians send Todd and his dog Manchee on their way with a map and a book of instructions. But it appears that this isn't going to be Todd's lucky day (or week, or month) and he's soon on the run from more than just the sheriff.

I had little notion of what was going to be in store for me with this trilogy, except that it was highly acclaimed, and in my opinion every one of the awards won is rightly deserved. It is an extraordinary tour de force of storytelling: emotionally intelligent, thought-provoking, mature and designed to keep you on the edge of your seat with deceptive lulls that break up the otherwise non-stop frenetic pace. There is some much-needed comic relief provided in the form of Todd's dog Manchee; this is a planet where animals can talk! I took to Todd straightaway, and the developing relationship between Todd and the companion he finds on the way is a wonderful study in restraint and how to establish a mutual trust when one person can hear everything the other is thinking but the other one can't. The novel deals with several important moral issues (mainly about the choices one makes in life), and also finds space to incorporate lessons from history and current affairs. It is entirely heartbreaking in places, and I welled up on more than one occasion. Todd's narration is completely unflinching in its depiction of the unfolding of events, and the clipped style of writing and the often idiosyncratic spelling feel authentic, even though I occasionally thought that Patrick Ness was putting words into Todd's mouth that I felt were beyond the use and knowledge of a barely educated farm boy. The world building was never less than convincing, and though common English terms are applied to the alien flora and fauna, just enough details are given to ensure that the reader never forgets that this is definitely not Earth after all (apples are black, the crocs have sails, there are two moons in the sky and the year has thirteen months in it, to name but a few). My criticism of an inconsistency was later resolved, and though I still think there are too many coincidences in the plot, these are necessary to the development of the storyline and are delivered most effectively, often with added shock value. Patrick Ness keeps the reader always on their toes, and one never knows what comes next: there are surprises around almost every corner, and the tension is increased in increments until it becomes almost unbearable, with one of the best cliff-hangers at the end of the book that I've yet come across.

I returned to the book whenever I could and put off the household chores because I had to know how the story continued. A completely immersive reading experience, I felt emotionally drained once I had reached the end and had to wait a few (long, interminable) hours until my son had finished the second volume in the trilogy so I could start reading it. Highly recommended for young adults and their parents alike. ( )
  passion4reading | Aug 4, 2015 |
I wouldn't be mad if one of my lovely friends gifted me this series. Nope, I surely would not. {*.o}

*edit*
WISHES do come true! I
  BunnyCates | Jul 8, 2015 |
I'm torn between a three star and a four star rating for this one. For me, the first half of the book was quite tedious. It just went on and on and on without anything really interesting happening. The second half, however, was far more interesting. There were more development and I even got emotional at some parts, like when the dog, Manchee, died. THAT WAS HEARTBREAKING. Overall, I like how the author is able to make the readers read fast and not go in between the lines. Normally, I'd go for poetical, descriptive writing, but his use of choppy sentences here fits the story. Exactly like how the Todd would think.

I got the second book ready but I don't know if I'm gonna read it soon. Hmm... ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
(leahdawn)
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?
(passion4reading)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,051,527 books! | Top bar: Always visible