The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

3,1272431,798 (4.08)1 / 376
Recently added byBiepBib, alo1224, ohbookish, arena100, soitgoes5, amer_anwar, private library

English (237)  French (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (243)
In the settlement of Prentisstown the men's and animals thoughts are broadcast, there are no women and Todd Hewitt is the only boy. He has been told that the original inhabitants released a virus during the war that killed the women and broadcast men's thoughts. When he runs into a pocket of 'quiet', which leads him to a girl, his world tips, then turns completely upside down. It soon becomes apparent that almost everything he has been told is a lie.

Forced to flee for his life with the girl(Viola), and his dog (Manchee, a gift from his 'parents', that he did not want), Todd starts to learn the truth.

This is very dark story. Which means I hated it, but I also loved it, part of me wants a happy ending, part of me wants to see characters overcome conflict. Most of the characters are well drawn, there are some caricatures, but even these are not buffoonish and have personality. There is not a happy ending, it has a cliffhanger ending that will I hope lead perfectly into the next book. ( )
  BellaFoxx | Feb 14, 2015 |
This book is told in the first person narrative from Todd, a ill-educated, 12 year old boy who lives in a settlement called Prentisstown in the new world. Everything is not as it seems in this town though, as there are no women, and everybody can hear eachothers "noise". There are several questions that run throughout this book; what happened to all the women in Prentisstown? Why can everybody hear eachothers thoughts? Why is it so important that Todd turns into a man on his 13th birthday?

These questions are mainly what drove me to finish reading this book. Todd was not a likable character for me because he came across as quite a selfish and mean character at first, and in my opinion did little to redeem himself throughout the remainder of the book. He has an adorable dog Manchee (animals have "noise" too) and Manchee for me was the best character in the whole book and all he says is "poo, Todd". I just found this story to be quite dull, I didn't find it very realistic, Todd irritated me. I am surprised I finished this book, I will not be reading anymore into the series. ( )
  KittyBimble | Feb 12, 2015 |
Description: Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

Thoughts: The easiest thing to say about The Knife of Never Letting Go is that it definitely keeps you on your toes. There is almost no time to really stop and catch your breath or get your bearings, a device that does make you feel like you are right there with the characters.

Once you do stop to catch your breath, however, annoying questions rise up. I can't go in ANY kind of detail as almost anything I could say would spoil some plot point. I can say that I wish Ness had given readers a little more time to inhabit various stages of the plot and various locales in order to feel more connected and invested in the action and drama. It all just comes flying at you at about a hundred miles an hour, which doesn't feel inappropriate for the plot, it's just not the best literary device.

There are many characters and story lines I wanted to spend more time with and have more resolution, but maybe some of that will come in the other books in the series? This one captivated me enough that I just borrowed the ebook of the next one from my library (and am having to force myself not to go start it now, at 2:15AM).

I'm not sure if I completely appreciate some of the twists. I felt like certain aspects robbed the story of it's big sci-fi drama, but I guess that was intended. Again, maybe this will be resolved later on, but for now I'm scratching my head about a few things.

Oh, well. I can recommend this, maybe not highly until I get further in the series. Be warned that there is a major cliff hanger, the handling of which will probably make or break the next book, The Ask and the Answer, and probably the series.

Rating: 3.7

Liked: 4
Plot: 3.5
Characterization: 3
Writing: 4

http://www.librarything.com/topic/149560#3905666 ( )
  leahbird | Jan 17, 2015 |
RGG: More dystopian than space travel / alien, but the premise of "noise" and the roller coaster-ride pacing make this a compelling, scary read. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Jan 7, 2015 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I wanted to read The Knife of Never Letting Go for quite some time. I was told it was an amazing dystopian YA novel. Did it live up to this wonderful promise?

Yes, yes, it certainly did. The story is very well written, and instead of making the Noise just another easy way to solve problems for the main characters, it really is annoying for them and even I get nervous just thinking about it.

What really got my frustrashun though, is that this book wasn't translated in to Dutch until this year! Ridiculous if you ask me, even more because it was published around the same time as The Hungergames (and so the Dystopian genre had had an enormous boost)... Strange, but luckily they have finally seen the light and translated them. The third volume is due some time this month I think... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 4, 2015 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot, Middlemarch.
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World. (leahdawn)

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,818,466 books! | Top bar: Always visible