The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

3,3432601,626 (4.06)1 / 392
Recently added byBFish, elephantine, Zarien, KittyBimble, meetpraj, SupriyaMK, Wicker, LaPhenix, private library

English (251)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (258)
This book is told in the first person narrative from Todd, a ill-educated, 12 year old boy who lives in a settlement called Prentisstown in the new world. Everything is not as it seems in this town though, as there are no women, and everybody can hear eachothers "noise". There are several questions that run throughout this book; what happened to all the women in Prentisstown? Why can everybody hear eachothers thoughts? Why is it so important that Todd turns into a man on his 13th birthday?

These questions are mainly what drove me to finish reading this book. Todd was not a likable character for me because he came across as quite a selfish and mean character at first, and in my opinion did little to redeem himself throughout the remainder of the book. He has an adorable dog Manchee (animals have "noise" too) and Manchee for me was the best character in the whole book and all he says is "poo, Todd". I just found this story to be quite dull, I didn't find it very realistic, Todd irritated me. I am surprised I finished this book, I will not be reading anymore into the series. ( )
  KittyBimble | Nov 26, 2015 |
Unique and rather uncomfortable. I liked the characters, and the female characters are particularly strong, but the villains are a bit bland. I question where men and animals project thoughts, however women cannot. The story itself was interesting, yet never comfortable. Heads up, there's "on screen" animal death. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
The formatting of the book was interesting and compelling. The story was just 'eh. Most of the characters I wasn't particularly attached to - with the exception of the dog. The best part of the book was the dog and hearing the dog's thoughts.

I rated this as "just ok" because Patrick Ness had no business doing what he did to one of the characters. It didn't drive the story, build characters, or anything. It was just plain garbage and more than enough of a reason for me to not read the rest of the series. Foolish move. ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |
All right. Yes. I am very behind with YA dystopia apparently. I know. It's not usually my thing so I've avoided almost all of it. Thankfully, I seem to have hit a good run with Legend and now The Knife of Never Letting Go. Like. Good grief.
This is a book.
There's a reason I see this one around being touted as a shining example of gripping openings because:
"The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say. About anything. "Need a poo, Todd.""Shut up, Manchee.""Poo. Poo, Todd.""I said shut it."
Where to even start. First off, the whole book is written in dialectic (a thing that, I admit, made me kind of nervous when I started it. I'm not the biggest fan of dialectic writing, generally). And it's written really well. Second. You know right away that this book is not going to be typical.
I spent a lot of thing book wondering what the hell was going on, I have to admit.
The setting is initially, the swamps. Todd finds something in the swamps that sets off a chain of events that is... really drastic to be honest this is a really dramatic book. Kind of one of those that's hard to review because it's not really like anything else so there's no good point of reference that I can guide you all on to understand?
There's this thing called Noise. It's essentially, every man's thoughts. And only men because there are no women in Prentisstown. But Todd learns that maybe the whole world isn't like that when he runs into a girl when fleeing Prentisstown (as said, a drastic chain of events).
The book takes place on another planet and there's a definite sci-fi element involved that is usually ignored in dystopia. It was hard to catch on to at first but a lot of this book is bewildering from the get go.
The strongest part of this book is definitely the writing. The writing is so strong and so on point. It's rich and handles a narrative that is very dark and very chilling.
This had a preach point (because all dystopias have a preach point), but I found myself less irritated by it as I am by most dystopias. Because this idea of constant information and what it would do to people if it was always in this form was fascinating. The idea of Noise being a constant barrage to men but women being vacuums for the Noise and how the societies that spring up on this planet choose to function around it were fascinating.
Sometimes the bad things that happen to Todd and Viola weren't spread out far enough. Like really the dude follow them is right there again he was literally there a few pages ago and they only barely got away. That happened a few times. But even with that, the pacing was phenomenal. I almost read the whole thing in a single sitting.
Characters weren't as strong a point (but oh god Menchee the dog. the way animals are written in this was amazing and spot on). Like, I liked Todd but Todd didn't have much of a memorable personality for me. That isn't something that counts against the book, though, because I definitely cared enough about him and Viola to finish the book and to hope that the second one is at the library when I go back.
Overall an excellent excellent dystopia. It's gripping and dark and very well handled I loved it a lot. ( )
  glitzandshadows | Oct 12, 2015 |
The first 5 chapters of this book were excruciatingly painful. I admit, I dragged myself through those pages hoping for a better outcome...and it delivered eventually. The biggest problem I encountered was the writing style. It is written in first person of the main character who is illiterate. In the first several pages I wanted to bring out a red pen and start making corrections. It did ramp up however. I found as I read that I became attached to the characters that I originally did not like. It is almost as though you go on this journey with them and at the end you are exhausted. At the beginning of the book I remember telling myself I wouldn't continue with the series, now that I finished....I just might have to get the second. ( )
  Ravenlight | Sep 9, 2015 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,866,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible