The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

3,1802491,759 (4.07)1 / 381

English (241)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (248)
RGG: More dystopian than space travel / alien, but the premise of "noise" and the roller coaster-ride pacing make this a compelling, scary read. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | Apr 13, 2015 |
Trainspotting for virgins. ( )
  Xleptodactylous | Apr 7, 2015 |
This deeply unsettling dystopian novel follows the story of Todd, a boy about to become a man in a town where everyone can hear everyone’s thoughts in a constant stream of Noise. I don’t really want to relate any more than that, because this book is full of surprising discoveries and once you think you have a handle on how the world works, something new is discovered that complicates things further.

The story that unfolds is brutal. It goes down dark and disturbing roads of what it means to be human and then punches the reader in the gut. I was unsettled many times and at one point crumpled up into weeping. While not a happy read, it’s well wrought and beautifully told with subtle and not-so-subtle details of language and style revealing a lot about this world and the people in it.

As with a few other readers, my one complaint was the ending, which is a cliffhanger and leaves the reader in the lurch. I felt really let down by it and would have preferred something more solid to rest on at the end. Regardless, I’ll be reading the second book because I really need to know what happens to these characters. ( )
  andreablythe | Mar 25, 2015 |
The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness is one of the most surprising books I have read this year. I was expecting an average dystopian book but this one was different, and different in ways that I have decided not to go into as I don’t want to spoil it for future readers. I totally fell into this story and was absorbed and fascinated by the world this author so painstaking created.

I first met Patrick Ness through his deeply touching story, A Monster Calls, so I already knew what a skilled writer he is. At first I was a little put off by the style he chose to write this story in, but I realized quickly that this helps the reader to fit into Todd’s world and the conditions one finds there. Some of the characters are a little over-done but of course, I did totally lose my heart to the dim-witted but wonderful Manchee. A small note of warning however, there is a fair amount of violence and cruelty portrayed and I would suggest this book is aimed at the older end of the YA spectrum.

Without going into a lot of plot details, The Knife of Never Letting Go is a great adventure story that is presented in an inventive and original writing style. But, and this is a big but, the reader is left totally hanging at the end of the book. I need to immediately get my hands on book number two in order to find out how this story ends. I absolutely enjoyed the book as I was reading it, but feel cheated by it’s total lack of closure. I think the author could have resolved some of the immediate issues in this volume and would still have had plenty of material for the next book. ( )
1 vote DeltaQueen50 | Mar 24, 2015 |
Todd can hear other people's thoughts, even his dog's. In fact, everyone in Prentisstown can hear everyone else's thoughts which can be overwhelming. Todd is about to be the last to become a man in his town but he is in danger his guardians force him to leave to keep him safe. Soon he meets up with an unlikely ally and together they search for safety from the people of Prentisstown. I was intrigued by how the author portrays how people with the best intentions can become corrupted and what one has to do to stay true to oneself. This book is recommended for teens who are interested adventure and future civilizations. ( )
  AleashaKachel | Mar 24, 2015 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot, Middlemarch.
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World. (leahdawn)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,726,476 books! | Top bar: Always visible