The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

2,9552261,943 (4.09)1 / 354

English (221)  French (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (226)
When you open up this book the first thing you notice is the language of this book. When I first looked at what the writing was I thought I would not be able to enjoy it because of the way it was written but a few pages into the book and you get every thing they are saying with out any real big issues.

Something I try to avoid is books with a pet in them like a dog. Manchee though was amazing to read about. His loyalty to Todd was amazing plus the fact that he could talk made me a tad bit disappointed in my own dog!

Viola and Todd's relationship (non romantic) is amazing it really does grow and evolve through out the book and is really amazing to watch unfold. One of the major problems I had with this book was Todd which sucks since he is the main character.

Todd was a very stubborn and just plain stupid character at many different points in the story. His pride showed at the randomness time ever and made me want to groan in frustration every time he did something stupid. It wasn't over small things that made me upset it was big things like the fact he can not read but wouldn't let anyone else read the paper he needed to read.

Viola on the other hand was very clever and wise through out the story. When ever Todd did something wrong and made me angry with him Viola always had something to say to him that made me go "Thank You".

The most annoying part of the book though is the reoccurring pop up of a character that seems to pop up at the most random of times. It kinda felt like the author got stuck in his plot so he decided to bring back this character any chance he could get.

Lastly the ending of this book was a huge cliff hanger. It was rather predictable but it was still pretty interesting. I think I would of been more upset about the cliff hanger if I I would of read the book back when it was first published since the next two books are at my library I wasn't really desperate to check out the new book.

I give this book a 3.5/5 ( )
  AryaDragon | Aug 26, 2014 |
I know that everyone seems to love this series, but I really didn't like this book. The storyline is a good idea in theory, but it wasn't well executed. It's boring and plodding and I didn't even bother to finish it (I listened to the audiobook). It's also what I call a "walking book". I find those types of books to be painfully tedious. The only part I liked was Manchee, the dog. Ow Todd. ( )
1 vote ladonna37 | Aug 1, 2014 |
3.5 stars

I'm keeping the summary simple so as not to give anything away. Todd is not considered a man until his next birthday; he is currently 12 years of 13 months + 12 months. Only one month left. He lives in a town of all men, and they can all hear each other's thoughts and the animals can speak, as well. The two men who have raised Todd would like to get him out of the town before his birthday.

I liked it. No surprise to those who know me, but I really liked Todd's dog, Manchee. It did end on a cliffhanger. The book wasn't overly special, but it was enough that I'll read the next one. ( )
  LibraryCin | Jul 16, 2014 |
In short, this novel is the best that I have reviewed for my blog so far.

Although I appreciate that some people will not gel with the incredibly bleak story and the unusual narrative style, I certainly would recommend that everyone gives a try. The story is incredibly complex and full of dark twists, while the characters are interested and noticeably develop as the story progresses.

However, what I found by far and away the most interesting thing was the concept. The story is very unique and raises some interesting moral questions, including what it means to be a man and the ethical ramifications about what a world would be like where nothing could be kept secret.

The only real problem I had with the story was the ending, as I felt the cliffhanger was nothing more than a cheap way to make the reader continue the story (which was pointless - the novel was so good that I would have done so anyway!). ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Jul 8, 2014 |
Another great audiobook (I have been on a roll picking good ones recently), awesome narration and an even more awesome story. It pulls you in right away. Stories about the planet where humans will settle next tend to be very sci-fi, and this was not at all, except when Viola discusses her ship. Not that sci-fi is a bad thing, I love a good one every now and then. But I loved how the story was more about the evils of men, about humanity, perception, and lies, rather than good humans vs. bad aliens. Can't wait to read the next one, especially with that cliffhanger of an ending! ( )
  bookwormam | Jul 8, 2014 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot, Middlemarch.
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World. (leahdawn)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,312,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible