The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

3,2242521,720 (4.07)1 / 387

English (245)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (252)
I wouldn't be mad if one of my lovely friends gifted me this series. Nope, I surely would not. {*.o}

*edit*
WISHES do come true! I
  BunnyCates | Jul 8, 2015 |
I'm torn between a three star and a four star rating for this one. For me, the first half of the book was quite tedious. It just went on and on and on without anything really interesting happening. The second half, however, was far more interesting. There were more development and I even got emotional at some parts, like when the dog, Manchee, died. THAT WAS HEARTBREAKING. Overall, I like how the author is able to make the readers read fast and not go in between the lines. Normally, I'd go for poetical, descriptive writing, but his use of choppy sentences here fits the story. Exactly like how the Todd would think.

I got the second book ready but I don't know if I'm gonna read it soon. Hmm... ( )
  novewong | Jul 8, 2015 |
Great story; dystopian future. Wonderful relationship between b oy and his dog. In this future world people can hear what others are thinking, and it often isn't nice. Cliffhanger ending, but the next two books in the Chaos Walking Trilogy are equally compelling. ( )
  DavidO1103 | May 24, 2015 |
RGG: More dystopian than space travel / alien, but the premise of "noise" and the roller coaster-ride pacing make this a compelling, scary read. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberhighschool | May 1, 2015 |
Dystopian young adult book, first in the Chaos Walking series. The protagonist, Todd Hewitt, is the only boy left in a colony composed only of men since the deaths of the women during war with the alien native inhabitants of the planet to which the colonists came. The premise is intriguing and some of the relationships between the boy and others are disturbing and/or moving. In particular, the relationship that evolves between Todd and his dog, as they discover their world is much bigger than Todd had ever imagined, is incredibly moving. ( )
  NatalieSW | Apr 26, 2015 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot, Middlemarch.
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World. (leahdawn)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,411,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible