The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

3,8102911,361 (4.06)1 / 407

English (284)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All (291)
Compelling and well-written dystopian story. And the best dog ever. ( )
  jjaylynny | Nov 12, 2016 |
In a word? Amazing!!!! ( )
  pickleroad | Nov 10, 2016 |
Really 3 1/2 stars. I don't really like the way this is written -- eventually I got used to the dialect but at the beginning it was painful. It's a good story. And it ends on quite the little cliffhanger. All in all, though, the book felt a little insubstantial to me. If you are looking for nuanced world-building, you won't find it here; everyone slots very easily into good guys and bad guys and ultimately it all felt a little thin. But the story itself is interesting and you'll enjoy the book if you're just looking for a reasonably well-plotted dystopian series. ( )
  gayla.bassham | Nov 7, 2016 |
I knew I should have read this sooner. This book was amazing, hard to put down, and creepy. There is also a huge "fiction faux pas" in this book, that I won't spoil, but damn, Patrick Ness. Damn. ( )
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
  s.pando | Nov 4, 2016 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
(leahdawn)
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?
(passion4reading)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 110,799,096 books! | Top bar: Always visible