The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (2008)

by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking (1)

4,4443291,584 (4.05)1 / 426
Recently added byrena75, GigasCodex, Shadow_Sandy, JMLandels, KJRoeth, mcfrost, private library

English (319)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (326)
As a child you may have fantasized about how fun it would be if you knew what others are thinking. In Todd Hewitt's small town, which strangely consists only of men, everyone can hear the thoughts of everyone else -- this omnipresent Noise is often overwhelming and occasionally maddening. At age thirteen, just days before he will officially become a man, Todd's life is thrown into upheaval when he "hears" an area of silence while out exploring the nearby swamp and is unable to conceal his fateful discovery.

This is a fast-paced survival story with some unique plot elements, which I would definitely recommend for teens interested in dystopian survival. Myself, I wanted to like it more than I actually did, so I probably won't continue the series. ( )
  ryner | Jan 2, 2019 |
I enjoyed the pace of this novel and thought it was creative. The cliffhanger at the end didn't bother me because it fit with the book's tendency to leave more questions than answers throughout. I expect to finish the series, but I'm not diving right into the next one just yet. ( )
  3njennn | Nov 25, 2018 |
Wow. I am completely floored by this book. I *knew* I was going to enjoy it, as so many have before, but I did not know that I was going to absolutely love it. Or that I would be hooked from page one, or become so emotionally invested in the characters so quickly. This book was compelling from the first page. The writing, the plot, the characters, the way Ness creates an entirely new world and yet leaves so much unexplained, all of these factors kept me engrossed from the first page. The plot was highly original and full of twists and turns. The writing style is unlike anything I've read before- and extremely emotional. I haven't cried that way over a book in a loooong time. I can not wait to start the next in the series. ( )
  EliseLaForge | Nov 20, 2018 |
This is one of my favorite books in the whole world. I read it for the first time in high school and something in me clicked. This book is what I want out of reading and what I'd want out of writing. I love it. I've read it like four times and it stills makes me cry, even know what's coming, and that's really something.

I highly recommend it. It's something special. ( )
  courtney.osteen | Nov 7, 2018 |

I highly recommend it. It's something special. ( )
  courtney.osteen | Nov 7, 2018 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
(leahdawn)
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?
(passion4reading)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,583,458 books! | Top bar: Always visible