The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos…

The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, 1) (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Patrick Ness

4,3503241,600 (4.05)1 / 422
Member:dolphin30
Title:The Knife of Never Letting Go (Chaos Walking, 1)
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (2008)

English (315)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (322)
AHHHHHHH ( )
  ireneattolia | Sep 3, 2018 |
Not scary but somehow seemed to cause me to have really weird dreams. I had this on a "to-read" list. I must've been looking for something with a survival theme for 6th graders. I would NOT read this with my 6th graders. I won't be continuing this series. ( )
  CSKteach | Jul 20, 2018 |
Nagged my friend into admitting the dog dies and didn't read the rest of the book. ( )
  Jammies | Jun 15, 2018 |
Todd Hewitt lives in a world where the thoughts of animals and people can be heard by everyone around then. Except women, women can't be heard. There's a mysterious test he's meant to undertake in order to become a man, but before he can he's told he's got to leave town. For reasons. Some reasons. So he does. And there's a murderous preacher person chasing him. And an army. And a bunch of other bad things happen. Oh, and he's got a dog that can talk named Manchee.

Okay.

Now that you've accepted all of that, nod, smile, and replace every villain in the book with Freddy Krueger, because they just don't die. Is there a reason for this? Nope, they just don't. Get over it. Oh, and did I mention that the army chasing him is doing so for pretty much no good reason?

There are plot holes big enough to climb into. This is a shame, because for the most part the book is rather well written. I don't have high hopes for the rest of the trilogy now, but I'm going to give them a try anyway. Alas. ( )
  Lepophagus | Jun 14, 2018 |
“We are the choices we make.”

I actually ended up enjoying this book! I eventually got used to the 'quirks' in the language, even if I don't think it adds much to the story.

The world building in this book is well done. Todd is part of a colony where there are no women, and men's thoughts are out in the world and readable. Their town is noisy, with everyone's thinking loudly mixed for everyone to "hear". As Todd reaches his birthday, he discovers 'silence' in the woods, which initiates a sinister plot by the town. Over the story, Todd learns the history of his town, and what has led to their exile.

A lot of this story seems to be centered around "choices" and "knowledge". The implications of your thoughts being broadcast to everyone and what you know. The murky waters of the choices people make and why. Relationships are complex and always changing with new information. And you are limited to the knowledge of Todd, who has been kept in the dark most of his life, so you learn along with him.

Overall, it's got great world building, and a pretty unique story. I see why it is highly rated. ( )
  carmacreator | Jun 13, 2018 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionscalculated
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
(leahdawn)
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?
(passion4reading)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,822,437 books! | Top bar: Always visible