The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos…

The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Patrick Ness

3,0812351,841 (4.08)1 / 363
Member:julienne_preacher
Title:The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:E-books

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (2008)

English (230)  French (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (235)
RGG: More dystopian than space travel / alien, but the premise of "noise" and the roller coaster-ride pacing make this a compelling, scary read. Reading Interest: 14-YA.
  rgruberexcel | Dec 12, 2014 |
  rgruberexcel | Dec 12, 2014 |
Great book, though characters def have really bad luck. Read in 6 hours... ( )
  otikhonova | Dec 8, 2014 |
The Knife Of Never Letting Go is one of my favorite YA books that I have read in a long time.
While the tone and plot of the book is pretty dark, Patrick Ness does a very excellent job of adding humor in the form of Manchee, who quickly won his way into my heart. The occasional breaking of the fourth wall, with Todd thinking thoughts directed towards the reader, especially after he did something embarrassing, were a bonus, and added a wonderful depth to the narrative. Some of the plot was predictable, mainly the true history of Prentisstown. Another factor I enjoyed was the stubbornness of Todd and Viola's adversities, as even once they were presumed dead, they had a nasty habit of popping up at the worst times.
If you are highly religious, mainly Christian, you will probably find this book offensive as it explores the dark truth that is the history of religion, featuring a priest as one of the main adversities. ( )
  positivepebbles | Dec 3, 2014 |
The Knife of Never Letting Go is quite an intriguing book. I love that it is directed toward children. I think it would encourage them to think and use their imagination. Although I hope they won't make the same spelling mistakes.

I like the idea that the world is filled with noise we can't block out. That is something I think we all can relate to. With all these advances in technology, it is pretty hard to find peace and quiet anywhere.

The one thing about this book that I don't really like, but I can see is necessary, is that we are left with all these questions and given no answers to any of them. The reason why I can see it is necessary is because our protagonist is a kid. No one, unless they were desperate, would confide in a child.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on the rest of this trilogy. ( )
  Tarklovishki | Oct 31, 2014 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot, Middlemarch.
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World. (leahdawn)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,374,386 books! | Top bar: Always visible