The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos…

The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Patrick Ness

2,811None2,065 (4.1)1 / 348
Member:julienne_preacher
Title:The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:E-books

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (2008)

2010 (19) 2012 (26) adventure (74) aliens (19) Chaos Walking (41) coming of age (52) dystopia (195) dystopian (59) ebook (31) fantasy (106) fiction (180) friendship (30) Kindle (27) library (18) post-apocalyptic (18) read (27) science fiction (304) series (62) sf (25) sff (15) survival (44) teen (33) telepathy (53) to-read (173) unread (16) violence (21) war (26) YA (175) young adult (181) young adult fiction (34)

English (211)  French (3)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (216)
I can see why this book won an award, or should that be awards in the plural sense? Either way, it was unique, intriguing and remarkable.

The Knife Of Never Letting Go is one of those rare young adult/children's book that has a completely unparalleled storyline but still manages to get the importance of the underlying morals across. Most YA books I've read just full on smack you in the face with their attempt at telling you right from wrong, but Ness writes with a beautiful subtlety. He keeps you gripped, yet on some level you are always conscious of the good, the bad and the outright strange. Thus, you always reach an understanding of, and appreciate, the moral of the story.

Manchee ( )
  LaurenKathryn | Mar 31, 2014 |
I think I like the idea more than the book itself...
High hopes that wasn't reached.

On the verge of 3 stars... But only because I liked the plot.

The way it's written kinda confuses me, and sometimes it's hard to understand. ( )
  AmandaEmma | Mar 26, 2014 |
Book: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

Series: Chaos Walking, Book 1

Genre: Fiction/Young Adult/Sci Fi/Dystopian

Prentisstown isn't like other towns. Everyone can hear everyone else's thoughts in an overwhelming, never-ending stream of Noise. Just a month away from the birthday that will make him a man, Todd and his dog, Manchee -- whose thoughts Todd can hear too, whether he wants to or not -- stumble upon an area of complete silence. They find that in a town where privacy is impossible, something terrible has been hidden -- a secret so awful that Todd and Manchee must run for their lives.

But how do you escape when your pursuers can hear your every thought?

If you're a reader: prepare to have your heartstrings torn apart. This is a fast-paced story, with a vivid dystopian world, plenty of action and dangling plot reveals galore to keep you reading even when you want to give Todd a good kick in the shins.

""You're tearing me *apart*, Patrick Ness!""

If you're a writer: prepare to have your heartstrings torn apart, and your writer-brain given a good education. Want to know how to make a difficult-to-like (ignorant, bull-headed prejudiced, angry) character loveable? Want to know how to write a convincing male character, from teenage mood swings to some words being misspelled cuz he ain't had much of an educayshun? Want to know how to reveal information slowly without frustrating your readers? Step right up and get reading.

There are so many secrets in this story that you want to find out the answer to. You know the secrets are there because Todd is constantly doubting and second-guessing his info and other characters are fighting not to spill the beans.

So Ness keeps feeding you important information, big shocking reveals, while putting obstacles in the way to stop you finding out the whole picture all at once. For instance: in a world where everyone can hear your thoughts, knowing too much is a liability so a lot of info is kept from Todd so that it can't be overheard. And a lot of the important info is in a book Todd carries everywhere, but he's illiterate and too proud and defensive to admit he can't read it.

Patrick has an impressively strong grasp of how to withhold information without it feeling forced or unrealistic, and how to 'drip-feed' important information to the readers without overwhelming them.

Either way: This is an interesting and dark dystopian that breaks out of the genre box and takes a lot of risks. While these risks (the misspelled narration, the constant dangling of plot info in front of your face) might lose it a few fans, it'll earn Patrick Ness many, many more.

I'll definitely be picking up the sequel, though after the emotional throat-punch that was this book I might have to take a break in-between. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I wanted to read The Knife of Never Letting Go for quite some time. I was told it was an amazing dystopian YA novel. Did it live up to this wonderful promise?

Yes, yes, it certainly did. The story is very well written, and instead of making the Noise just another easy way to solve problems for the main characters, it really is annoying for them and even I get nervous just thinking about it.

What really got my frustrashun though, is that this book wasn't translated in to Dutch until this year! Ridiculous if you ask me, even more because it was published around the same time as The Hungergames (and so the Dystopian genre had had an enormous boost)... Strange, but luckily they have finally seen the light and translated them. The third volume is due some time this month I think... ( )
  Floratina | Jan 23, 2014 |
I will write more about the whole trilogy on my review of the last (third) book. The Knife of Never Letting Go is a good start, an thrilling adventure from beginning to end. The new world is simple yet complicated, where I got the feeling that there was far more to the "truth" than my narrator, a young boy, was telling me. The dystopian nature of the story is done well and the end makes you want to pick up the second book and keep going, as it should. ( )
  bluepigeon | Dec 15, 2013 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence. George Eliot, Middlemarch.
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World. (leahdawn)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:57:13 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

Two editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,473,544 books! | Top bar: Always visible