The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos…

The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Patrick Ness

3,3482601,622 (4.06)1 / 393
Title:The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (2008)

English (253)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (260)
Another great read from Patrick Ness. I need to take a little break and recover before I start book 2. ( )
  andieaaase | Nov 30, 2015 |
  andieaaase | Nov 30, 2015 |
This book is told in the first person narrative from Todd, a ill-educated, 12 year old boy who lives in a settlement called Prentisstown in the new world. Everything is not as it seems in this town though, as there are no women, and everybody can hear eachothers "noise". There are several questions that run throughout this book; what happened to all the women in Prentisstown? Why can everybody hear eachothers thoughts? Why is it so important that Todd turns into a man on his 13th birthday?

These questions are mainly what drove me to finish reading this book. Todd was not a likable character for me because he came across as quite a selfish and mean character at first, and in my opinion did little to redeem himself throughout the remainder of the book. He has an adorable dog Manchee (animals have "noise" too) and Manchee for me was the best character in the whole book and all he says is "poo, Todd". I just found this story to be quite dull, I didn't find it very realistic, Todd irritated me. I am surprised I finished this book, I will not be reading anymore into the series. ( )
  4everfanatical | Nov 26, 2015 |
Unique and rather uncomfortable. I liked the characters, and the female characters are particularly strong, but the villains are a bit bland. I question where men and animals project thoughts, however women cannot. The story itself was interesting, yet never comfortable. Heads up, there's "on screen" animal death. ( )
  LaPhenix | Nov 22, 2015 |
The formatting of the book was interesting and compelling. The story was just 'eh. Most of the characters I wasn't particularly attached to - with the exception of the dog. The best part of the book was the dog and hearing the dog's thoughts.

I rated this as "just ok" because Patrick Ness had no business doing what he did to one of the characters. It didn't drive the story, build characters, or anything. It was just plain garbage and more than enough of a reason for me to not read the rest of the series. Foolish move. ( )
  TeachesNTennies | Oct 30, 2015 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,949,512 books! | Top bar: Always visible