The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos…

The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Patrick Ness

3,5922801,468 (4.05)1 / 404
Member:julienne_preacher
Title:The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:E-books

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (2008)

English (271)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (278)
READ IN ENGLISH

I wanted to read The Knife of Never Letting Go for quite some time. I was told it was an amazing dystopian YA novel. Did it live up to this wonderful promise?

Yes, yes, it certainly did. The story is very well written, and instead of making the Noise just another easy way to solve problems for the main characters, it really is annoying for them and even I get nervous just thinking about it.

What really got my frustrashun though, is that this book wasn't translated in to Dutch until this year! Ridiculous if you ask me, even more because it was published around the same time as The Hungergames (and so the Dystopian genre had had an enormous boost)... Strange, but luckily they have finally seen the light and translated them. The third volume is due some time this month I think... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
Every once in a while, a book comes along that just draws you in. This is one of them.

The language is so rich and vivid, and conveys just the right amount of urgency, confusion, panic, fear, sadness, and all sorts of emotions in the "Noise" of Todd Hewitt, the main character.

It's thrilling and smart, and deserves to be read by all ages, and not just the "young adult" category that it's been thrust into. ( )
  GwenMcGinty | May 13, 2016 |
I was hooked in the first chapter. it's a very intersting premise. a secluded town of only men and 1 boy where everyone hears eachother's thoughts (Noise). There's a huge mystery around the town and how it became Prentisstown. Very intriguing.
I liked the book, but I don't like how much every thing was repeated a lot.
Will definitely pick up the second book soon! Can't wait to see what happens to Todd! ( )
  MinDea | Apr 28, 2016 |
It took me a couople of chapters to get used to the speach/thought patterns of the narrator, but once young Todd set out on his journey, it turned into a good read. ( )
  Archmage | Apr 5, 2016 |
I was pleasantly surprised by this book. I had no idea what this book was about going in, but I’m so happy I read the recommendations and decided to download it while it was on sale.

Prentisstown sounds like an awful place to live. I can’t imagine living in a world where you can hear everyone’s thoughts and everyone being able to hear yours. There is definitely no privacy for the people in this world.

I liked Todd. I think he was a little naïve sometimes, but I can’t really blame him since there were things he didn’t know. He constantly says he isn’t a man yet, but he shows more strength and bravery than most of the “men” in this book. And I love his dog, Manchee. He is the most loyal friend that Todd has.

I loved all the twists and turns this book took. I will definitely be listening to the sequel soon. I love Nick Podel’s narration of the story.
Now on to the Narrator…

I loved the narration. It definitely helped with visualizing how all these thoughts are heard. And any time we heard from Manchee I thought about the dog from Up.

I’m a big fan of Nick Podehl. I’ve listened to a few books where he has been the narrator, and he always does a fantastic job of bringing the world and characters to life. ( )
  BookishThings | Mar 23, 2016 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
(leahdawn)
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?
(passion4reading)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,868,728 books! | Top bar: Always visible