The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos…

The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One (original 2008; edition 2009)

by Patrick Ness

3,6572821,441 (4.06)1 / 404
Member:julienne_preacher
Title:The Knife of Never Letting Go: Chaos Walking: Book One
Authors:Patrick Ness
Info:Candlewick (2009), Edition: Reprint, Paperback, 496 pages
Collections:E-books

The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness (2008)

English (275)  French (3)  Dutch (2)  German (1)  Catalan (1)  All languages (282)
I have never hated a book as much as this one. It is, without a doubt, the darkest, most depressing book I have ever read. It is well written, very suspenseful; there were several times I wanted to put it down because of one of the many heart-breaking things that happen, but I could not stop reading. The ending is a definite cliffhanger to suck you in to reading the next book in the series, but I won't be reading it. I can still hear Manchee's voice, "Todd, Todd?" ( )
  mtlkch | Jun 21, 2016 |
Review: The Knife of Never Letting Go by Patrick Ness

When I started reading the book I was unsure if it was going to be good. It didn’t register as my kind of book. Little by little I got into the story and said, well maybe….Then before I knew it I was hooked and by the end of the book I was emotionally drained. It was an enjoyable read with creativity, intense moments, unique bonding, scary adventure, tears to flow, and a captivating journey of survival. It was a well written, unique developed characters, great descriptive setting throughout the book, many emotional scenes and most of all you get to meet Manchee, the dog….

The book setting is a New World in a town called Prentisstown which was set away from other settlements because they were hated by others. There is a swamp and bridge between this town and others beyond in the new world. The land was once inhabited with abnormal humans called Spackles and the animals were able to talk a few words of a type of mocking voice of people around them. Plus, the town carried a disease of audible thoughts where everyone could hear all thoughts of everyone else which they called, “The Noise”. The town was nothing but chaos especially because of the never ending noise invaded everyone’s thoughts and consciousness which was impossible to escape. There was one exception; the females were immune to the germ that escalated the disease…..

There was a mean bunch of men who were the law over the town. The Mayor was the leader and decided to clean up the town to his liking. He collected everyone’s guns, weapons, and horses and went on to say that all Spackles, women and certain men had to be killed. So, the town of Prentisstown was a community of all men and a few boys reaching the age of thirteen which the town considers the age of becoming a man. The day came when all boys were men except Todd who was the last male child born in the settlement on their new planet.

Todd had about a month or so before he was to become a man. He lived a lonely life with his dog Manchee and his two foster fathers, the kindly one being Ben and the strict one being Cillian. He loved them both and wasn’t aware of all the corruption that went on when he was growing up. His foster father’s protected Todd from all the horrors that the Mayor and his henchmen placed upon the town. Todd had no memory of what life was like when women were alive. He believed their settlement was the only colony on the new world. He reached the age of thirteen living with the lies he was told about all the women, the spackles and others who were no longer living.

One day Todd went to the swamp looking for apples and something strange happened. He stumbles onto what he calls a hole of silence. He runs home and tries to hide his thoughts but within moments the sheriff was at their door. Ben and Cillian hand Todd a map, a backpack with provisions and his mother’s book and tells him to leave and never come back. Before Todd has time to understand what was happening he was running for his life with Manchee by his side when he once again stumbles upon the hole in the, “Noise”. The hole turns out to be a girl, a silent girl named Viola, from another world… Todd and Voila begins a new challenging journey together and became counting on each other to survive in ways they didn’t expect…..There is plenty more to tell but from this point on is where tragedy strikes and little by little more of the story is told and their destination, which was miles away and they were attacked with a shock of reality when they got there….The best is to come because it’s the enticing journey of Todd and Viola that will bring you to the end of the journey in shock….

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Imagine living in a world where you could hear everyone's thoughts (even the animals) 24 hours a day! This sucked me in from the very start and had some very innovative ideas and some unusual and engaging gimmicks (such as the ragged text font representing the Noise). I found that, once started, I had to finish it in the least amount of time possible, which made me particularly unsociable over the weekend! It's a huge rollercoaster of a book, with a relentless pace and terrific characters (I loved Manchee!) A few plot flaws, such as the apparent ability of Todd and Viola to go without sleep and food for large amounts of time, and I hated the author for the ending, but I must admit I'm going to devour the sequel when it comes out. All in all, a fantastic read ( )
  mmacd3814 | May 30, 2016 |
First read 4.5 Stars...but even better the second time through...5 Stars

NO SPOILERS

Ok so why? Why did I enjoy this book more the second time around? Well during my 40 minute commute to work this morning, I reflected on this a good bit...yeah I am a nerd. :)

First off it was a re-read...and I typically enjoy a re-read only for the fact that I get to re-live the beginning while I know the end; looking for nuggets that I may have missed the first time around. But this time...it was Appreciation. Appreciation for the brilliance that is Ness and his writing style. I read this the first time almost exactly a year ago and at that point, I had never read anything by him. While I loved this book the first time, I think I very much lacked the appreciation and understanding of the tales he tells. His ability to throw pieces of a puzzle at you from all different directions while you struggle to see the full picture. This is Ness. This is his way of weaving his story and it is a beautiful gift. I could have easily produced a status update per page and could equally fill this review with quotes. It is just that brilliant.

I have seen some readers not take to this book and to each his own...but for me, this is a book that takes its time with you and really is one that is so off putting at first that I can understand why many would need to sit this one down. For that I would recommend, not starting with this book as your first experience to Ness. Start with More Than This and I think you will come to trust Ness in a way that could change your entire outlook on this book. I know I did, even if it was a re-read.

Like other Ness books, this is one to enter blindly and damn those reviewers who spoil parts of this book for others in the damn first sentence of their reviews!

Discover Ness and I think you will be blown away. But be ready for some headaches and heartaches along the way. Ness holds nothing back.

First read:May 2013" ( )
  JulieCovington | May 29, 2016 |
READ IN ENGLISH

I wanted to read The Knife of Never Letting Go for quite some time. I was told it was an amazing dystopian YA novel. Did it live up to this wonderful promise?

Yes, yes, it certainly did. The story is very well written, and instead of making the Noise just another easy way to solve problems for the main characters, it really is annoying for them and even I get nervous just thinking about it.

What really got my frustrashun though, is that this book wasn't translated in to Dutch until this year! Ridiculous if you ask me, even more because it was published around the same time as The Hungergames (and so the Dystopian genre had had an enormous boost)... Strange, but luckily they have finally seen the light and translated them. The third volume is due some time this month I think... ( )
  Floratina | May 26, 2016 |
added by lucyknows | editSCIS (pay site)

Patrick Nessprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Podehl, NickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
If we had a keen vision and feeling of all ordinary human life, it would be like hearing the grass grow and the squirrel's heart beat, and we should die of that roar which lies on the other side of silence.
George Eliot, Middlemarch
For Michelle Kass
The first thing you find out when yer dog learns to talk is that dogs don't got nothing much to say.

Silence in the noise,
questing and learning to trust,
dangerous New World.
(leahdawn)
Todd Hewitt is the
last boy in Prentisstown. What
will make him a man?
(passion4reading)

Todd Hewitt is the only boy in a town of men. Ever since the settlers were infected with the Noise germ, Todd can hear everything the men think, and they hear everything he thinks. Todd is just a month away from becoming a man, but in the midst of the cacophony, he knows that the town is hiding something from him -- something so awful Todd is forced to flee with only his dog, whose simple, loyal voice he hears too. With hostile men from the town in pursuit, the two stumble upon a strange and eerily silent creature: a girl. Who is she? Why wasn't she killed by the germ like all the females on New World? Propelled by Todd's gritty narration, readers are in for a white-knuckle journey in which a boy on the cusp of manhood must unlearn everything he knows in order to figure out who he truly is.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:22:02 -0400)

Pursued by power-hungry Prentiss and mad minister Aaron, young Todd and Viola set out across New World searching for answers about his colony's true past and seeking a way to warn the ship bringing hopeful settlers from Old World.

Candlewick Press

2 editions of this book were published by Candlewick Press.

Editions: 0763639311, 0763645761

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 106,879,745 books! | Top bar: Always visible