Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1997)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

80,20311561 (4.26)7 / 862
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

English (1,094)  Dutch (12)  German (9)  Spanish (9)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,152)
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. ( )
  Tutter | Mar 3, 2015 |
This story is a well written, powerful example that not everything can be as it seems and that every one of us is capable of accomplishing something great if we only put our minds to it. It, in my opinions, teaches children about perseverance and to try one’s best at all times. The characters are easy for a young child to relate to, as well as for an adult to grasp onto and see the merits of the characteristics of that individual. And yet, people still find fault in it. A lot of times, the reason a book makes it onto that list is because it challenges the basic tenets of one religion or another. Do the fanatics remember the constitution? That whole freedom of speech, freedom from religious persecution thing? Yeah, bet they forgot that one.

I refuse to censor what my child wants to read, as a parent.

My thoughts on Harry Potter from a parent perspective:

My oldest child asked for the Harry Potter books for his 6th birthday. Let’s set aside the sheer delight at a child wanting books instead of toys as a gift, especially at 6. That is a whole other blog post that I shall entertain eventually. But let’s look at what my thoughts about the book he asked for were:

Hmmm, Harry Potter, huh? Well, having either seen all movies to date at that time (2009) or read all books, I evaluated my thoughts on whether it was appropriate for my then 6 year old son to read. The answer was yes. As mentioned in the above-referenced post, I do not believe in censoring what my child reads. Yes, I understand there is a bit of violence and a few things some others may not think appropriate for a child his age. I get that. But the difference between me and some other people is this: I view it as an opportunity to learn and teach him. We discussed the parts that others might have thought inappropriate. We also discussed that some of the words in the book are not words we hear regularly, because it was written in England, and there are a few differences in our version of English and theirs. Which then led to a discussion about England and it’s history and culture. See how that worked out there? Great stuff.

This opened a door. Now, at nine, he has read the books, seen all of the movies, and amazingly, he never had nightmares because of it. Now, watching The Punisher with his stepfather, totally different story, that kind of creeped him out a little. But I digress.

Harry Potter is an excellent series that I feel all middle-grade children should read because it can teach them things about life. It opens the door for communication with parents about all sorts of things, not least of all the difference between fantasy and reality. ( )
  destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |

I refuse to censor what my child wants to read, as a parent.

My thoughts on Harry Potter from a parent perspective:

destinyisntfree | Feb 28, 2015 |
I resisted reading the Harry Potter series for a long time because I thought that anything that was so wildly popular and hyped could not possibly be as great as its reputation (I have yet to see the movies). I was wrong, of course. The first time around, I read the entire series cover to cover within a couple of days. I can honestly say that I loved every minute of it. It's a spectacular little romp with funny, courageous, and endearing characters that you can't help but love. It offers an escape into a world of magic, optimism, honor, and hope... a place where anything is possible. ( )
  crunchymunchkin | Feb 27, 2015 |
series- 5th grade- Harry lives with his aunt and uncle, Mr and Mrs. Dursley, after his mother and father died when he was an infant. He lives under the stairs. At age 11 he goes to the zoo and realizes he has some powers and can talk to snakes. A letter comes inviting him to go to Hogwarts for school. The Dursleys ignore the letter. Hagrad comes and takes Harry to Hogwarts.. Harry defeats Voldermort's host with the sorcerer's stone.
  RachelHollingsworth | Feb 24, 2015 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,804,563 books! | Top bar: Always visible