Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (1997)

by J. K. Rowling, Jim Kay (Illustrator)

Series: Harry Potter (1)

83,76312642 (4.27)7 / 865
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)

1990s (8)
Unread books (1,042)

English (1,197)  Dutch (12)  German (10)  Spanish (10)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,256)
Marvelous. ( )
  alchemist123 | Feb 10, 2016 |
Really, what can I say about Harry Potter that hasn't already been said a million times before?

For me, the biggest draw of the novel is its positive message. While the book does contain some serious themes, including bullying and child abuse, they're not the focus of the story. Harry Potter and the Philosopher's stone is a book about hope and courage and friendship. Harry finds an escape from his abusive home to study at the bright and whimsical Hogwarts, building a new family from his loyal new friends.

The plot is largely competent containing a lovely light humor and building a surprisingly complex mystery for a middle grade novel. While it feels little weak in a couple of places (no spoilers here), it largely holds together and draws itself to a largely satisfying conclusion.

My primary issues with the story are small and largely dwarfed by the books sheer enjoyability. It's by no means an original concept as it's a blending of Tom Brown's Schooldays and The Worst Witch. It's also not fantastically written. There's some pretty heavy adverb use and Rowling has a tendency to repeat words in close succession (for example, at one point she uses the word "pocket" three times in the space of two sentences). The book also ends very abruptly, leaving only a few pages for resolution after the climax.

In terms of characterisation, Harry is obviously the main focus of the story. He's our everyman - a character who can learn about the wizarding world at the same rate as the reader. While he is a suitably loveable character, he does lean towards being a bit of a Gary-Stu and I do still object to the method by which he defeats the villain as it's just a little too schmaltzy.

While no character really receives anywhere near Harry's development, they still present a cast of really colourful, imaginative and likable characters. I have a particular love for Hagrid (how could you not?) and Nearly Headless Nick purely because the concept of being "nearly headless" still makes me smile.

The only character I find really unsettling is Dumbledore. I mean, the man knowingly left a child in what he knew would be an abusive home. And also allowed said child to remove to said home at the end of the school year. What kind of monster is he? I know that reason is given for this later in the series but it's still flimsy and makes me really detest him. I just can't view him as being a lovable old man when he's responsible for Harry's horrible upbringing.

Anyway, review is running long so I'll cut it short. Despite its flaws, this novel is just wonderfully enjoyable and definitely one I'd recommend. I don't really agree with the people who say it's a story for all ages - it's most definitely a children's story - but it's still just a wonderfully heartwarming read that I think everyone should pick up at least once in their lifetime. ( )
  ArkhamReviews | Feb 9, 2016 |
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling

★★★★

No reason for me to do a synopsis on Harry Potter. Most people have read it and the ones that haven’t probably have the gist.

This is my 9th time re-reading the series throughout the years. And with each reading I find that the first book really is lacking. It seemed like at the time, Rowling was simply getting her ideas onto paper and the book often reads as such “and then this happened, then this happened.” It all seems fairly rushed. With that being said, I still love this book (although not my favorite) and the series. When I’m having a rough time it’s a good one to get me through. It’s an easy fun read, no matter how many times I’ve read it.
  UberButter | Feb 9, 2016 |
As I read this, I was torn between deep contentment to be back in Harry Potter's world and homesickness for the characters that don't come along until later books. ( )
  AngelClaw | Feb 8, 2016 |
I wish I could remember exactly how many times I've read the earlier books in the series; obviously it's more than the later books, because starting around book four, each time a new book came out I read all the previous ones again. Based on that, this was at least my tenth time, including once on audio.
  mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo, hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas, y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un verdadero mago!
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,201,689 books! | Top bar: Always visible