Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1997)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

80,11711511 ()7 / 862
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

English (1,089)  Dutch (12)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,146)
I had a great time reading this book to our 6 children as we drove across the USA, camping and visiting historical sites. We got hooked into the Harry Potter series and enjoyed each and every book, as well as the movies based on them. We recommend these fun, adventuresome books into this magical world to children, families...and adults who just love children's books! ( )
  CILLYart4U | Feb 16, 2015 |
Harry Potter is the main character in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone. This story takes place at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Harry is very smart, clever and will save the day even if it means breaking a lot of school rules. He lived with Mr. and Mrs. Dursley from the ages of 1-11. When he arrives at Hogwarts, Harry meets 2 friends, Hermione and Ron. He has a strange teacher named Snape. Harry, Ron , and Hermione think Snape stole the Sorcerers Stone. Are they right or are they wrong?

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the best book I have ever read. All of the action will keep you reading until late at night. J.K. Rowling does an amazing job describing the scenes and the characters. She creates a movie in your mind. This book is a must read for all ages. ( )
  Olivia.Rose3 | Feb 15, 2015 |
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's (Philosopher's) Stone Review Why'd they change the name of this book for American readers? Did they think that we of the red, white, and food persuasion wouldn't understand what a philosopher was?

Anyfuck, this was my second time reading this book, and I can honestly say I liked this one twice as much as I did the first time around. Being that I hated the paper it was written after my initial go at it, that means I enjoyed myself about fifty percent more. For a while it was like-a-chapter/hate-a-chapter, back and forth, until I got to the last three chapters. I liked those quite a bit, I did, and the final chapter was damn near a love. I somehow missed the message of this one the first time, and that saddens me.

J. K. Rowling's accomplishments are amazing. She first wrote this book on napkins while she was homeless, if I'm correctly remembering the one interview I saw with her years back. This first novel in the series was rejected by various publishers numerous times, yet she kept pressing on. Now she's one of the most successful authors in the history of literature. I applaud her.

With that being said, this book is too middle grade for me. I'm in that tiny percentage of the population that doesn't feel like a kid while reading this book. I feel like an outsider, a muggle through and through. I don't much like that feeling, but it's honest. Books that make me feel young would be: Koontz's The Voice in the Night, King's It, and McCammon's Boy's Life. Never was a wizarding kind of guy.

In summation: It's Harry Potter. Either you've read it or you've seen the movies. You've at least heard of it. Much like Star Wars, there aren't many people in the dark about Harry, Ron, and Hermoine. I'm looking forward to the later books, but this one was about middle of the road for me.

Edward.Lorn | Feb 13, 2015 |
This is a realistic fantasy book. It is great for 5th graders because it is engaging and involves morals and twisting plot lines. It would be a transition book from shorter chapter books into longer chapter books. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is about a boy who finds out he is a wizard and he embarks on the adventure of a lifetime, on his way to becoming the greatest wizard in the world. He runs into conflict when him and his friends run into Voldemort, and Harry has to battle him for the first time. All is resolved when Harry destroys the stone that gives Voldemort powers. Harry learns that he must continue to be brave because it is his destiny to fight evil forces such as Voldemort, someday defeating him forever. The genre is fantasy fiction or modern fantasy.
  lauraleerose | Feb 10, 2015 |
The Harry Potter series is one that can be appreciated by all ages. This is not a book you would usually expect young readers to be able to handle, but it is possible. The situations within this novel are appropriate for younger audiences, but they also have a more in depth issues that you pick up on when you are older. This book is a “coming of age” type story that late elementary age/middle school students can relate to. The language in this book is very casual, but sometimes can be a bit scholarly for young readers. For example, the young wizards in this story are taking classes that have some really complex words associated with them. There are also a few characters who act as if they know everything and talk with a more scholarly vocabulary. J.K. Rawling is an amazing author and her style of writing is very engaging. She uses the right amount of suspense and humor to create a well paced novel that flows easily. This book deals a lot with making and keeping friends something that late elementary/middle school students think about and definitely take in to consideration before acting out. The purpose of this novel is to talk about change, fighting for what you believe in, and growing up using a magical world.
  akern3 | Feb 4, 2015 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,671,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible