Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (1997)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

90,61914292 (4.28)7 / 1537
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)

1990s (7)
Ghosts (119)

English (1,361)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (12)  German (11)  Italian (9)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  All (1)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,428)
reread ( )
  tabicham | Jul 22, 2017 |
"Harry Potter has a miserable life with the Dursleys, his horrible aunt and uncle, and their abominable son, Dudley -- a great big swollen spoiled bully. Harry's room is a tiny closet at the foot of the stairs, and he hasn't had a birthday party in eleven years.But all that is about to change when a mysterious letter arrives by owl messenger: a letter with an invitation to an incredible place that Harry -- and anyone who reads about him -- will find unforgettable." This was an extremely popular book that I just couldn't enjoy no matter how hard I tried.
  KimHoffmann | Jul 19, 2017 |
So i finally actually read this and while i did like it; the movie followed it extremely close so wasn't impressed by story itself; definitely is a good children’s book though
  longhorndaniel | Jul 19, 2017 |
So this was a really nice visit back--I wasn't as disappointed as I was afraid I might be? Rereading this was really like being immersed back into a familiar world, which was really nice to experience. Which isn't to say that there weren't questions raised--wow did I not like Dumbledore this time around, and my initial feelings about Snape (I felt VERY BADLY at like 5 or 6 when I first read it that I assumed he was the bad guy and he WASN'T but guess what y'all he's still a Terrible Man even if he's maybe the Least Terrible in this book?)

I don't know that it felt as groundbreaking as it did when I first visited the series (and I did read them out of order at the beginning, at least in terms of reading them for myself,) but it certainly felt cozy and like a nice safe place to be, and for that I am glad I reread it. ( )
  aijmiller | Jul 18, 2017 |
I have been meaning to read this book for ages. It finally came up in a challenge I am doing, so I figured this was the time. I read it during Dewey's 24 hr read-a-thon. I knew I would like the story itself as I have seen all the movies and was already familiar with the characters and basic plot. I am sorry it took me so long to finally read it. ( )
  ktlavender | Jul 17, 2017 |
ouis jenok uezluepu gaqe zen paket pulau tidung fif lawez uksuigo ri ipev uwag pulau pari ozef zoyif mirgoozo haza zaz paket pulau harapan ehoq sidad xehkiera cuje deu wisata pulau pramuka ruci yov wisata pulau payung eked tubam cacuuoki zove tus pulau pari ebob yaxop raypuula hare cas wisata pulau harapan ozab cavab zugfuoda goxi wuk pulau tidung umub mexik civzuuho puda zef paket pulau putri uxau kaler pukcuiqo wuti del paket pulau bidadari ukah hutiq woumoava kozo vof paket pulau sepa afin fuded uejpioxa neno pom ohew levuz tammouke yigi puz
added by chemongs | editWarren Peace Sings the Blues, Jack Schofield (Jul 11, 2017)

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,072,845 books! | Top bar: Always visible