Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

95,74715552 (4.28)7 / 1600
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    Northern Lights by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)

1990s (7)
Magic! (5)
Ghosts (64)

English (1,481)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (13)  German (12)  Italian (10)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Piratical (1)  All (1)  All (1,553)
Esto es la segunda vez he leido esto libro, pero la primera en español. Ahora tengo preguntas, pero la más importante esta: si la valentía frente a sus amigos vale el mismo que la valentía frente a sus enemigos, porque Ron y Hermione han gañado 50 puntos y Harry ha gañado 60, mientras que Neville él ha gañado solamente 10 puntos? Qué injusticia! ( )
  zeborah | Jul 13, 2018 |
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone is the first in the series of Harry Potter books which are extremely popular with children and adults. Harry Potter begins learning about the magical world at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. At this school, he takes lessons to learn magical things such as how to fly, make charms and potions,and how to transform the appearance of an object into something different. The Harry Potter books were on the best seller lists for both children and adults. This series of books increased the popularity of fantasy books. Harry Potter books would be great for children and adults who enjoy fantasy books. Most children do not start reading Harry Potter books until they are in fourth grade.
  JoanEChasse | Jul 10, 2018 |
I laughed, I smiled, I got all emotional, and I had a good time. Rereading this book just reminded me how amazing this story is and what an amazing writer Rowling is. It also allows me to catch small things that I didn't remember and things I want to find out later.

But all that mean spirited talk about Hufflepuff. *Blows raspberry* Hufflepuff pride over here! ( )
  AdrianaGarcia | Jul 10, 2018 |
It's difficult to imagine a time when Harry Potter wasn't in the cultural zeitgeist but I can remember exactly when this book came out and just how revolutionary it was. This was released around the time I was in third grade and I remember giving a copy of this book to my teacher as a good-bye present before summer vacation. I don't mean to brag but I was the one who got her hooked on Harry Potter. If you're one of the small percentage who hasn't read the Harry Potter series, it's about a young boy who discovers that he is a wizard and goes to the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry where he has adventures and learns that he is being hunted by Lord Voldemort or "He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named".

I could have tagged this book under Modern Fantasy but I listed it as Controversial because after it's publication there was a firestorm of protests from religious groups saying that this book should be banned because it endorses Satanism and the occult. I'm not a fan of banning books so I don't agree with their reasons. I think the Harry Potter books are fun and encourage kids to use their imagination. He has to deal with a lot of issues familiar to children like parental loss, the feeling of not fitting in, and starting a new school. The only difference is that he has magic to help him deal with his problems. What kid doesn't wish they could use magic to make their lives better? I'm recommending this book because it's a fun read and an important cultural touchstone. I think that you can still feel Harry Potter's and J.K. Rowling's influence on children's literature being written today despite it being released over twenty years ago. Educators can use this book when discussing censorship and the banning of materials that other's consider controversial. ( )
  melissa_tullo | Jul 9, 2018 |
Every few years I reread some of my favourites and seeing as this is my "fluffy summer" of reading I decided to give it a go again on audio. I love listening to Stephen Fry narrate, especially when he narrates my favourite books! ( )
  ChelleBearss | Jul 5, 2018 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.Authorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. (Novelist)
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,157,233 books! | Top bar: Always visible