Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (1997)

by J. K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

80,7711172 (4.26)7 / 862
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

English (1,111)  Dutch (12)  German (10)  Spanish (9)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,170)
When my friend came over from Hungary, she told me, that the Harry Potter series are good. Well, I was a bit sceptical, since I was not amused at all by the hype that war created all around it.

She sent me the first one in the series and I was hooked. I liked it a lot.I beleive this particular edition is a children's edition. The language was sometimes childish, easy. Nevertheless I enjoyed the read. ( )
  BoekenTrol71 | May 5, 2015 |
This book would be good to use when talking about how to deal with difficult people. I think students will like this book because of the characters and the story. ( )
  Kate_Schulte078 | May 5, 2015 |
Summary: Harry Potter is an eleven year old boy who has just discovered he is a wizard. He goes to a special school for witches and wizards and learns all about his parent's past and the secrets of the wizarding world. He meets his two best friends Hermione and Ron and together try to navigate their new lives.

Personal connection: I love the Harry Potter series and think it's so great for kids who especially might not like to read.

Class use: Have students explore the series and talk about the different houses and attributes that they have. ( )
  allisonpollack | Apr 30, 2015 |
Question Response:
  cassidygavin | Apr 29, 2015 |
I was surprised at how good the writing was - exciting, humorous language, detailed descriptions and magical world made completely real. I did not expect to enjoy Harry Potter, to tell you the truth. I have never been a fan of movies and there was too much hype about the books. But finally I decided to do it - I have read it in a few days and I do not regret a minute of it. This is like an action fantasy book - it more revolves around events than characters and their growth. I really cannot say that characters are interesting (and I do mean the first book only, as I have no idea about character development later on), but the circumstances they live in, adventures they have and trouble they get themselves into - definitely interesting, and entertaining. Plus, it is really sweet reading both a kid & adult friendly book nowadays when writing books becomes more about what will sell than how to tell a good story. All in all - I liked it & will be reading other parts! ( )
  v_allery | Apr 19, 2015 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,883,004 books! | Top bar: Always visible