dismiss

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (edition 2001)

by J.K. Rowling

Series: Harry Potter (1)

105,67417381 (4.29)7 / 1719
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:benfulton
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Info:Arthur A. Levine Books (2001), Paperback
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, young adult fantasy

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Recently added byTrilogyLib, imlee, private library, Arina40, AshleyVanessaGG, whiff, roxiestyle, Jenn2627
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.

1990s (3)
1990s (5)
Ghosts (88)

English (1,658)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (14)  German (12)  Italian (10)  French (7)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,733)
I haven't read this book since I was 17, I'm 38 now so it's been a while. What's funny is that most of the events in the book I have entwined with the movie and I realized that I had misremembered some things. This book is perfect, the world building, the characters, the writing, flow, etc. Rowling does a great job of balancing everything though I will say the initial beginning is a bit weird til you figure out what is up with the mysterious cat.

The first book in the Harry Potter series begins with us becoming acquainted with Harry and characters we will follow through the series.

Harry Potter is an orphan bring treated like unwanted trash with his mother's family. Harry starts to realize weird things seem to be happening to him and when Harry starts to receive a ton of letters telling him he's been accepted to a place called Hogwarts, he finds out the truth about his parents, and the fact he's a wizard. When his aunt and uncle finally agree that Harry can go to Hogwarts, off starts his adventure of learning to be a wizard and finding out more about his mother and father.

Harry is loyal, brave, and above all else wants to make Gryffindor House proud. With his new friends (Ron and Hermione) by his side, Harry takes steps to protect the so called Sorcerer's Stone which ends up getting him and his friends into trouble as well as puts them in danger.

Speaking of characters I also forgot how annoying I found Hermione at first. Rowling does a great job with so many characters I can't keep pointing everyone out, but I have to say that I adored the Weasley family and maybe got a little choked up when Ron's mother knitted Harry a sweater just like the rest of the family. I almost forgot how much I adored Neville! Of all of the characters in the Potter universe, the changes in him will be fantastic to watch over the series. I almost forgot how much I adored Neville! Of all of the characters in the Potter universe, the changes in him will be fantastic to watch over the series.

I'm going to admit to something here, I still don't get Quidditch, no don't try to explain it to me, I also don't understand other sports like rugby or that other game that looks like American baseball, but is not.

The writing is I already said was great, Rowling weites for kids, but as an adult the story still holds my interest. The flow was too notch and I loved the illustrations at the top of each chapter heading.

"Nothing like this man had ever been seen on Privet Drive. He was tall, thin, and very old, judging by the silver of his hair and beard, which were both long enough to tuck into his belt. He was wearing long robes, a purple cloak that swept the ground, and high-heeled, buckled boots. His blue eyes were light, bright, and sparkling behind half-moon spectacles and his nose was very long and crooked, as though it had been broken at least twice. This man’s name was Albus Dumbledore."

Oh Dumbledore.

"Harry, who could see a huge Dudley tantrum coming on, began wolfing down his bacon as fast as possible in case Dudley turned the table over."

Dudley was the worst.

“— and you mustn’t go wandering around the school at night, think of the points you’ll lose Gryffindor if you’re caught, and you’re bound to be. It’s really very selfish of you.”
I remember now why I could not stand Hermione.

"Everyone was eating the food that had been sent up. Hermione, however, stood alone by the door, waiting for them. There was a very embarrassed pause. Then, none of them looking at each other, they all said “Thanks,” and hurried off to get plates. But from that moment on, Hermione Granger became their friend. There are some things you can’t share without ending up liking each other, and knocking out a twelve-foot mountain troll is one of them."
Aww. Still though Hermione was the best friend Harry ever had.

The setting and world building of Harry Potter was very well done. All the places we read about come alive and Rowling balances providing us information with moving the story along. I felt like I was on the Hogwarts train with Harry, learning about spells, going to Daigon Alley with him and Hagrid. It helps I watched the movie and it made every scene in the book stand out more to me since I had a frame of reference.

The ending leaves Harry heading back to the Dursley's for the summer and feeling proud that Gryffindor House won the most points for the school year. ( )
  ObsidianBlue | Jul 1, 2020 |
Ik las het boek voor het eerst in 2001, tijdens een vakantie in Engeland (Kent en East-Sussex). Ik weet nog dat we op het strand waren, nabij Rye en dat ik een begin maakte met het boek. Het duurde een aantal pagina's eer ik er in zat en in het begin vroeg ik me af wat er nu zo bijzonder aan deze boeken was. Ik vind nog steeds dat het begin van het boek matig is, al begrijp ik goed hoe ingewikkeld het moet zijn om ergens te beginnen, niet teveel te vertellen, maar ook niet te weinig.
Maar goed, naast dat ik nog weet waar ik het boek begon, weet ik ook nog waar ik het uitlas: in ons huisje in Kent, met prachtig uitzicht. Ik heb het boek met ingehouden adem bijna in 1 ruk uitgelezen. Ik weet van weinig boeken precies waar ik was toen ik het voor het eerst las, maar bij dit boek weet ik het nog wel.

Intussen heb ik het boek meerdere keren herlezen, zowel in het Nederlands als in het Engels. Het blijft een 5-sterren boek, net als de overige 6 boeken. Elke keer weer vind ik het zo fijn om de magische wereld in te stappen, even weg van alles. Ik vond dat het nu weer tijd werd. Geen idee hoe vaak ik de boeken al gelezen heb ondertussen, maar 7x minstens.

prettygoodyear | Jun 29, 2020 |
Harry Potter doesn't really need another review, pretty sure people know whether they like it or not. But I do want to note that The Sorcerer's Stone is so extra-special because of its invitation to imagine, and be excited about this world that Rowling has created. I just read it with my 7 and 8 year olds, and they were just as enthralled as I was when I was a kid. My copy has broken into 4 pieces because I read it so much. ( )
  renardkitsune | Jun 28, 2020 |
I don't know that I would've kept reading the Harry Potter books if I hadn't had a friend to encourage me to give those after this one a go. The first book is a lot more basic than the rest, and I liked it less as well. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Det er ærgerligt at det er den midste bog, jeg ville ønske at den var større og mere beskrivende,men det er også en af de bedste bøger ( )
  Emmask2020 | Jun 21, 2020 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-Novelist
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 147,762,732 books! | Top bar: Always visible