Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone (edition 2000)

by J. K. Rowling (Author), Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

Series: Harry Potter (1)

107,87018021 (4.29)7 / 1740
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:pwpw
Title:Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Bloomsbury Pub Ltd (2000), Edition: Children's Ed, 224 pages

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Recently added byKattStov, Fatima_Anwar, Yodareads12, scap20744, Arina40, lobstertech, private library, Rlawrence10
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.

1990s (3)
1990s (5)
Ghosts (99)

English (1,703)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (14)  German (12)  Italian (10)  French (7)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,778)
A (95%) | Forever Favorite ( )
  Fatima_Anwar | Nov 30, 2020 |
One of my all-time favorite series! This book is great for any age (although the further in the series you get it does get a bit darker) and has very relatable characters. The vivid imagery is great for an english class and the magic keeps it interesting. ( )
  madelynberger | Nov 23, 2020 |
Just re-read for the 9th time... After a long hiatus. Wonderful. Was almost like reading again for the first time, though I knew more about everything... Looking forward to reading the rest of the series again! ( )
  avanders | Nov 23, 2020 |
I first read this series back in the 90s with my oldest son. We went to see each movie as it came out. Love this series! In 2018, I made a promise to myself to read more books for enjoyment and to revisit books I love. So I'm going to revisit this series on audio! There is just something so awesome (even as an adult) to have someone read a story to you, especially when it's such a rich, creative, fantastical series as Harry Potter.

I loved every minute of this audio book. Narrated by Jim Dale, the audio is just over 8.5 hours long. Dale does an excellent job of voice acting. He really gets into the spirit of the story. It really made it a fun experience! I did learn something new....even more embarrassing than when we went to the first movie way back in the 90s and discovered we had been horribly mispronouncing Hermione's name....I have been saying Voldemort wrong for 20 years. The American movies pronounced it VoldemorT. But it actually sounds like VoldemorE....no T sound at the end. That actually makes complete sense. Derp derpity derp on my part. But....in my defense....the American movies mangled it. I'm sure as I work my way through these stories again that I will find other things I have wrong....sigh. But, despite another round of embarrassment at screwing up Rowling's character names for YEARS, I loved listening to this audio book! I have the second book on hold at the library already! I can't wait to re-visit the Chamber of Secrets! (and hopefully I don't discover any more derpy errors on my part)

This is an audio book I could listen to over and over.....so I'm going to buy the set. Then I can revisit Harry, Hogwarts and the Gang any time I want to! :) ( )
  JuliW | Nov 22, 2020 |
Re-reading Harry Potter since it's been a while :)
  coffeefairy | Nov 21, 2020 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-Novelist
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 152,674,860 books! | Top bar: Always visible