Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) (original 1997; edition 2003)

by Mary GrandPre

Series: Harry Potter (1)

106,98417711 (4.29)7 / 1735
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.
Member:Kalal
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
Authors:Mary GrandPre
Info:Scholastic Inc, Hardcover, 309 pages

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (1997)

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna, nfeldbaum)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.

1990s (3)
1990s (5)
Ghosts (88)

English (1,681)  Spanish (14)  Dutch (14)  German (12)  Italian (10)  French (7)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,756)
This was the first time I read this book in English and the first time after I passed the 20-year age mark. I still love it and I think it just keeps getting better. Even though I know what's going to happen I'm still somehow scared and excited and happy for Harry. I swear, this book and the whole series will never get old and it will probably always be one of the most liked books and series in the world! ( )
  AllAndAnyBooks | Sep 17, 2020 |
Oh, how dare I say my opinion on the world most "flawless" book. Afore having this book shove in my face for years by people from teachers to strangers telling me to read Harry Potter.

I not going to say this book is boring. The word is too shallow and an excuse to not give a reason why you don't like something.

I do acknowledge that harry potter got kids to read. As for everyone seeing Harry Potter as the perfect book in the world and if anyone express their opinion why they don't like Harry Potter they are beating down and harass. I have seemed other people being treated like that why too much.

Review:
Harry himself is such a dull character. The way Harry is treated by the Dursleys, the reader is supposed to synthetize. Harry could show personality by being clever or let it affect his self-esteem.
Harry doesn't think for himself; everything is handed to him. Ones Harry gets the Hogwarts he already famous and is put in the best house. He disobeys and disrespect adults and gets rewarded for it.

The end is not realistic or teaches anything. The Slytherin House wins fairly all the points, until Dumbledore gives gratuitous points to Harry, Hermione, and Ron for bravery and other nonsense Making their house “win".

If you want your kid to read something intelligent, give them The Neverending story. If you want them to read something that teaches friendship, bravery, selflessness, have them read the Warrior Cat series or teaches taking responsibility for your own ACTIONS, READ Earthsea! ( )
  AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |

Review:

AnnaBookcritter | Sep 15, 2020 |
Well, I finally caught up to the hype and read my first Harry Potter book. Even though I have watched all the movies, I was quite entertained by J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone*. I was able to quickly see why it became a bestseller. It was easy to read and understand but it also kept moving a fair clip. Read more ( )
  skrabut | Sep 2, 2020 |
For more reviews and bookish posts please visit: http://www.ManOfLaBook.com

My rat­ing for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone — 3
The Kids’ rat­ing for Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone — 4

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling is the first book of the popular Harry Potter series. I am reading these books with my kids, who love the movies and are enjoying the books.

In this book we are introduced to “the boy who lived”, Harry Potter a legend in the wizarding world for surviving, and maybe defeating as a baby, the most powerful dark wizard that lived. Harry gets invited to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, a boarding school which he makes new friends and enemies, as well as learning about himself, his family, and his newfound powers.

I have always wanted to read the books in this series, just because they were a pop-culture phenomena, but never found the time, or frankly never made the time, for them. When my children decided, to my delight, decided to read them I made the effort to read the books with them and compare notes during dinner.
I hope it will last.

I don’t know what I expected from Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone by J.K. Rowling, it’s an OK storyline, the world building is fantastic and very imaginative. I enjoyed the magical world very much, as well as the interaction of the Weasley family among themselves and with those surrounding them.

Overall I thought the book was a fun read, humorous and creative. I don’t know if I would have enjoyed it as much if I didn’t see the movies, and pop-culture cloud around them. That, however, I see as a positive, whatever gets people reading more is something I can certainly get behind enthusiastically.

I have to admit that I’m not a fan of stories featuring heroic children, never was. Maybe that’s why I held off for so long reading the book. It seems like Harry Potter is a great hero without really doing anything, he is famous and doesn’t know why, everyone is fawning all over him and he doesn’t know why, he has gifts thrown his way, most of the teachers love him… just because, the best player on the team, and of course he saves the day. All without actually deserving or working for any of it.
In short, someone I’d hate.

Putting my pettiness aside, this was a fun, charming, and fast read, and works well for younger teens. My kids were a bit bored with the book, but I’m reading the second installment now and am actually enjoying it more, hopefully they’ll continue with a bit of effort. ( )
  ZoharLaor | Aug 30, 2020 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Has the adaptation

Is parodied in

Inspired

Has as a reference guide/companion

Has as a study

Has as a student's study guide

for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-Novelist
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 150,681,529 books! | Top bar: Always visible