Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

87,25513502 (4.27)7 / 1201
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (8)

English (1,283)  Dutch (13)  Spanish (12)  German (10)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,347)
Well, I never wanted to read this at all, not with all the hype, midnight release parties, and movies. It just seemed like a lot of stuff and nonsense. But when my wonderful 8 year old daughter asked me, with big, blue eyes a blaze, "Daddy, please read this so we can talk about it", well, I'm starting it today. That girl...

As for the story, I did end up liking it! Cute tale, good vs. evil, wizardry and witchcraft! It was written at a much younger level than I had thought, and I'm surprised how much some adults "love" it so much! My negative would be that there are way too many character names to go along with all the "Harry Potter" lingo. Seemed like a bit of overkill for a 300 page-ish book. But it's a good story, good twist at the end, a very likable characters, especially Hagrid, who I now will be dressing as for Halloween!

That girl... ( )
  Stahl-Ricco | Oct 27, 2016 |
This story is set in a magical world that is engaging to students.
  ashermak | Oct 24, 2016 |
Harry Potter is not any usual kid, he is a wizard. He soon found out when Hagrid came to his house on his birthday. Harry was being mistreated by his aunt and uncle, before he went to Hogwarts. He lived in a closet under the stairs and had the smallest living space known to mankind. Hagrid brought Harry to Diagon Alley where he bought school books and his wand and a pet snowy owl named Headwig, for Hogwarts. Harry's parents left him a fortune of money behind for him when they died. When Harry was going to the train to get to Hogwarts he had to go to platform 9 3/4, he didn't know how until he ran into the Weaslys. Ron his now new best friend showed him he had to run into the wall to get to Platform 9 3/4. On the train ride Harry discovered several magical candies such as chocolate frogs. When he got to Hogwarts he got of the train with Ron and Hermione, a girl he met on the train his new second friend. They went inside following Professor McGonagal who then led them and every other new student to the sorting hat. The hat sorted them into groups based on themselves the groups were, Huffelpuff, Ravenclaw, Gryfinndor, and Slytherin. The three of them were sorted into Gryfinndor. Soon they found out about the Sorcerers Stone which can turn any metal into pure gold and can create the elixir of life. Professor Quirrell the defense against the dark arts teacher was had Voldemort, the dark lord controlling him from the back of his head. Harry, Hermione, and Ron have to go through challenges and Ron and Hermione stay behind while Harry goes to fight Quirriell for the stone. Harry takes the stone and saves the world for now, he gives the stone to Dumbledore the headmaster.
I think the Harry Potter series is great! I would recommend this book to anyone and everyone. I give it a whopping five stars! The plot, characters, and overall story was fantastic. Harry Potter is easily one of the best series I've read yet. It's one of the best books in my opinion, and I will for sure keep reading it. ( )
  MaxE.bg3 | Oct 24, 2016 |
It's a miracle, I've finally read the first Harry Potter book. When the first movie for this series was released, I found out that it was inspired by a children's book. It didn't even occur to me to read it/them. My excuse is that I didn't know of the existence of a fantastical site called "Goodreads". I also didn't have any clue of a genre referred to as Fantasy. Oh yes I did watch the movie. In fact I did watch them all and loved them even though I still thought the books were geared toward kids at least that's what I believed. So eventually I found Goodreads and my eyes were open to a treasure trove of books and genres out there for brain consumption. At first I thought I wouldn't be able to read the books since I already watched the movies but since then I've read books from movies I've seen not knowing they were originally books without any difficulty. I still enjoyed them and in fact even more the the movies. So I kept telling myself I would read the Harry Potter books, it took a while but I've finally started and now I can't wait to consume them all. Visually and mentally that is, lol.

It was amazing and it also answered those unanswered questions you get from watching a movie. Let's just say it filled in the blanks and fed me more missing info that I wasn't even aware of I was missing. I could imagine what Harry was experiencing in his adventures and introduction to the wizarding world. I enjoyed reading Harry's and his friends, Ron and Hermoine's inaugural journey into this new world. I loved the illustrations at the top of every chapter and I fell in love the the characters all over again (in more detail of course). I got to see the magic and allure of this world and how scary, fun, fantastical, and indulgent it can be. It was an enchanting story that would of course eventually end up on the big screen. ( )
  GigisIrieReads | Oct 21, 2016 |
This is a great book about a magical world different from our world. The story comes to life whenever you read the book. It is a page turner off that you will not want to put down. This story is about how friendship can help you through anything and that you should always believe in yourself. ( )
  haleyr03 | Oct 17, 2016 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.
The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.
Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo, hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas, y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un verdadero mago!
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,832,287 books! | Top bar: Always visible