Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen (Band…

Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen (Band 1) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by Joanne K. Rowling, Klaus Fritz (Übersetzer)

77,97310951 (4.26)7 / 857
Member:MRoe
Title:Harry Potter und der Stein der Weisen (Band 1)
Authors:Joanne K. Rowling
Other authors:Klaus Fritz (Übersetzer)
Info:Carlsen Verlag GmbH (1998), Ausgabe: 62, Gebundene Ausgabe, 336 Seiten
Rating:***

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (timspalding)
    timspalding: Graduate!
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)

English (1,039)  Dutch (12)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,095)
I was a relative late-comer to Harry Potter, I read the first book when I was in high school I think. This was an amazingly fast read for me. I would say though compared with the others in the series Chamber of Secrets is definitely more of a 'light' read, meaning less in depth than the others, though it is a fantastic start to a great series. I would also say it is very difficult to look at each of the books individually, because of the nature of the series they very easily flow into the next, almost as if you're setting one book down for a moment in time rather than say the 'entire summer' before Harry returns to school. I like this book so much I have it in two formats hardback and paperback...that should tell you a lot about how I feel about it. ( )
  ouladybird2005 | Jul 21, 2014 |
I'm not a huge fan of the Harry Potter series, but I did enjoy this book. Everybody knows the story of Harry Potter, the boy who lived. I think it had some parts that were kind of slow and it definitely made me not want to read the rest of the books. ( )
  hockeyzc58 | Jul 16, 2014 |
Summary of book: Harry Potter is a boy who has led an unfortunate life. His parents have died and he is in the care of his aunt and uncle. He is forced to live like a slave and sleep in a small cupboard under the stairs. Everything changes on his 12th birthday when a mysterious stranger comes to collect him and tell him that he is a wizard. Harry can hardly believe it. Soon he is in a world that he cant believe is real and meeting new friends. For once, Harry is feeling like he belongs- until he finds out the horrible truth about his parents and is faced with danger he never could have imagined. This book takes you on a magical adventure and keeps you interested with thrills and excitement!

Personal Reaction: I grew up with Harry Potter. I read every single one of these books twice. It started when I was about the same age as him and I feel as if we grew up together. When the movies came out- my parents would make a whole day of it. Watching these movies with them were some of my favorite memories. The series really helped me grow up and was fun to read.

Extension Ideas:
1. I would have the students create a fantasy would where they would have magical powers and write about their adventures.
2. I would ask my students how they would feel about becoming wizards. Would they accept the letter from Hogwarts? Why?
3. I would have my students create their own school with magical rooms and whatever kind of activities they wanted. ( )
1 vote Gizellecardiel | Jul 14, 2014 |
Summary:
Harry Potter is about a little boy after being raised by his evil aunt and uncle for the last eleven years, discovers he is a wizard. He finds out he is one of the most famous wizards in the world, because he survived and attack from one of the most powerful wizards in the world, Lord Voldemort. With his new found powers he finds himself immersed in the wizard world, and attend Hogwarts schools of witchcraft and wizardry. At Hogwarts, Harry finds new adventures. He discovers that Hogwarts is home to the Sorcerer's Stone, a powerful stone that gives everlasting life, and he believes it is going to be stolen. Harry and his friends decide to find the stone to protect it, and they come to find out that the person that is trying to steal it is Lord Voldemort. Harry must face Voldemort for the first time since he tried to kill Harry and prevent Voldemort from getting the stone and returning to power.

Personal Reaction:
This was a first time to read this book. It is full of adventure and excitement that keeps you turning the pages. This is a book that I would be leery about using in the classroom. Lots of parents including myself wouldn't want their children to read it at a young age.

Classroom Extension: (Even though I wouldn't use this book in a classroom sitting)
1. Creative Writing Idea: Imagine you have just received a letter of acceptance to a new school. What would that new school be about.
2. Creative Writing #2: If you just discovered you had a new power, what would it be and how would you use it for good?
  Tarakalynn | Jul 14, 2014 |
Harry Potter is one of those books that I've been avoiding reading...but we read it as part of a book club at school...and Rowling is good. It's a fun book, that I enjoyed reading...and I will, no doubt, read the rest of the series (in time..). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,609,536 books! | Top bar: Always visible