Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (original 1997; edition 2003)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

89,62714162 (4.28)7 / 1510
Member:tincherb
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Large Print Pr (2003), Paperback, 423 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:harry potter, harry potter and the sorcerer's stone, j.k. rowling

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

Recently added byATCWicca, private library, Powerlibrarian, markg92, still_allyson, Miletmama, hacoley, ashnatheunicorn, IsabelK
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)

1990s (7)
Ghosts (119)

English (1,342)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (12)  German (11)  Italian (9)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  All (1)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,409)
I read this in 2000, listen to the movie soundtracks ll the time and decided I needed a distraction this week...it's still excellent. J.K. Rowling is brilliant - writing something that crosses so many generations. I'm amazed as well at the foreshadowing of things as far away as six novels in the future...billiant.

Looking forward to re-reading the rest. ( )
  Razinha | May 23, 2017 |
OPINION: I have just found a NEW favorite series. Harry Potter has just sucked me in. This book has everything I ever like, comedy, adventure and more cool stuff and I just love it! I am addicted to reading now my lexile has gone up and in just about 14 days I'm already in the middle of book 3! One major upside is I can talk to my friends about this series because they like it aswell. J.K. Rowling is genius and an amazing human being and I hope she creates many more books. This book is probably gonna be my alltime favorite forever!

SUMMARY: HArry is a boy grown up in a neglectful aunt and uncles house. He is skinny and bullied by his cousin until one day he gets a message from a large, LARGE man named Hagrid inviting him to Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry. Harry had once defeated the worlds most fearful dark wizard when he was a baby and never knew it, making him famous. Hary meets his friends Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger after knocking out a troll on Halloween, Harry ends up having to fight the same drk wizard who is being a parastiyte to one of his followers growing energy. Harry defeats them both once again and goes home for the summer holidays, but cant send his friends messages because his uncle has locked up his owl. ( )
  JacobS.BG3 | May 21, 2017 |
2,5 ( )
  alejandroseneca | May 18, 2017 |
Orphaned as a baby and sent to live with heartless relations, young Harry Potter lives a largely unremarkable life. That is, he does so until his eleventh birthday when a giant bursts into Harry's life and informs Harry that he is a wizard who has been called away to a special boarding school where he will learn magic.

If you ever needed any evidence that my reviews are first and foremost for myself (helpful in remember why I did or did not like a book), the fact that I am even reviewing Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone at all is that evidence. As I am probably one of the last people in the developed world to finally read this book for the first time, there's nothing I can say that hasn't been said before. Nevertheless, these are my thoughts on the book.

From the outset, it's important to note that I am not really a fantasy reader. World building is not terribly interesting to me, even if I can respect the hard work that goes into it on the part of the author. Rowling's world here is a mish-mash of the real world, traditional witch/wizard lore (e.g., broomsticks, cauldrons), Greco-Roman mythology (e.g., centaurs, Cerebus), medieval fantasy (e.g., dragons, unicorns), and the supernatural (e.g., ghosts, vampires). A few of her own elements - most notably, quidditch - are thrown in for good measure. As this is the opening book in a series, this title spends a lot of time describing the world Rowling has created and the characters who populate it. The titular sorcerer's stone does not show up until well into the latter half of the book, thus leaving a lot of the book feeling like there isn't a traditional problem-climax-solution plot.

That being said though, I found the book held my attention fully and was very entertaining. Even without being a fantasy fan, I was interested enough to learn about this world and how things operate there. (As a side note though, can I say how much I really despise the distinction between "witch" and "wizard"? I wish all the characters, female or male, were just wizards.) Had I read this way back when, however, I doubt I would have predicted this book would be a world-wide phenomenon, becoming one of the most translated, sold, and read books ever. While I enjoyed it, I wasn't actually "wowed" by it. Still, I am certainly intrigued enough to continue on with the series.

For the audiobook listener, Jim Dale was beyond fantastic as a reader. His regular narration voice is rich and wonderful enough, but then he gave each character a completely unique voice, complete with accent, tone, modulation, etc. ( )
  sweetiegherkin | May 16, 2017 |

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,478,936 books! | Top bar: Always visible