Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J. K. Rowling, Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)

88,73313862 (4.27)7 / 1388
Member:mhanlon
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Authors:J. K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPre (Illustrator)
Info:Perfection Learning (1999), Library Binding, 309 pages
Collections:Read, Your library
Rating:***

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)

1990s (8)
Unread books (1,074)

English (1,313)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (12)  German (10)  Italian (9)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Catalan (3)  Danish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  All (1)  Piratical (1)  Swedish (1)  All (1,379)
I LOVED this book so much. J.K. Rowling created a world of magic and wonder that any reader will instantly fall in love with. The relationships between Harry, Ron and Hermoine are undeniably adorable and heartwarming. Hogwarts is a place that any young reader (and old!) will wish they got accepted in to.

I enjoyed this book primarily for three reasons. One was because the plot of the story was exhilarating and page-turning. You never knew what crazy scheme Malfoy was up to or what mind-boggling spell Hermoine was teaching herself in the Gryffindor common room. Readers will be hooked on Rowling's ability to twist and contort the story's plot, especially towards the end!

The second reason I enjoyed this book was because the characters were incredibly believable and relatable. I saw a lot of Hermoine's characteristics in people I know in real life and it made her character all the more real to me. I enjoyed reading about how all the characters interacted and problem solved together because it reminded me so much of my every day life, except with a little bit more magic.

The third reason I enjoyed this book was because it was fun. The story is about three young kids who discover they have magical abilities and how they have to learn to master their skills while also dealing with everyday life. It's funny, it's quirky, it's imaginative and overall, it's wonderful. This book made me believe that anything is possible and I know that readers of all ages will find comfort in its lighthearted silliness. ( )
1 vote dluna1 | Feb 16, 2017 |
Since there are already 1384 reviews, I have little to add. I admire Rowling's gift for creating a whole magical society within modern Britain with lots of amusing details. The first volume is lighter than some later ones; the only really sad moment for me was the dying unicorns. ( )
  antiquary | Feb 11, 2017 |
I first read this book when I was in high school--10 years ago. At the time, I wasn't old enough to understand the subtle intellect but was too old to really relate to it. I think I gave up halfway through the second installment at that time. I can definitely appreciate the story telling now. ( )
  StefanieBrookTrout | Feb 4, 2017 |
This is the first book in the series. As such, it is the most juvenile (though not too juvenile for older readers) and lighthearted and easy to read book in the series because not only is the titular character just a boy (aged 11, of course), but one who is just discovering magic. So just being exposed to the newfound world where he can get away from the abusive Dursleys and the dull Muggle world, he sees it through the eyes of...well, someone who's just discovered it and hasn't had enough exposure to see the faults because everything is so new. Like when you discover a website and for the first few months or first year it seems wonderful and perfect and flawless and then over time the bad parts show their ugly heads. The writing is good and the characters are well-developed. ( )
  kyndyleizabella | Jan 23, 2017 |
**I purchased this book for my own reading pleasure, with no expectations of a review**

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is the first book in Rowling’s phenomenal Harry Potter series. This is the British version of the book, with the stone Flamel created properly called the Philosopher's Stone. Why the American release had to go and change it to the erroneous 'Sorcerer’s Stone’s still irks me after all this time.

I just reread this book, falling in love with it all over again. The first several of these books helped me get through a tough few years fraught with surgery after surgery. Having such a world to step into made all the difference in my recovery.

Harry Potter is the Boy Who Lived, his survival heralding the fall of the Dark Wizard Voldemort. Harry, then orphaned, was sent to live with his aunt, uncle, and cousin. Forced to live in the cupboard under the stairs, Harry did his best to keep to himself. For eleven years, Harry suffered neglect and emotional abuse. Then comes the day when a letter from Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry comes for him. For several days, Harry’s Uncle Vernon keeps the increasing number of letters from Harry.

This is to no avail, as it means Hagrid, the gamekeeper at Hogwarts, comes to personally deliver the letter. Harry is stunned to learn he is a wizard, as his parents were. His aunt and uncle, ordinary Muggles, strive to make Harry 'normal’, and never told him of his parents. Harry is sent to Hogwarts, to learn of the world he was denied all his life. He makes new friends, and new enemies. He proves to take after his father, with a sense of adventure, and a sense of justice, both of which lead him to attempt to protect a priceless artifact he believes will be stolen. Granted, he did try to warn faculty, but they just couldn't fathom it possible that anyone could get to the artifact, through its protections.

I adore these books. Rereading it, I was reminded of how gritty it could be, for a young kids book. It deals with themes of child neglect and emotional abuse, bullying, murder, and even that children Harry’s age can be more mature than we credit. We, as a society, seem to have forgotten how quickly children used to need to grow up. There are also strong themes of live, friendship, and hope. Story is well-written and easy to lose oneself in. One series I always recommend!

🎻🎻🎻🎻🎻 Highly recommended ( )
1 vote PardaMustang | Jan 16, 2017 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.
added by johnsmithsen | editLowongan Kerja BANK (Feb 14, 1999)

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.
added by johnsmithsen | editlowongan kerja 2017 (Jan 1, 1999)

Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo, hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas, y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un verdadero mago!

Rowling, J. K.primary authorall editionsconfirmed
Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 112,692,371 books! | Top bar: Always visible