Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

83,68612592 (4.27)7 / 865
Member:daniella0270
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)

1990s (8)
Unread books (1,042)

English (1,194)  Dutch (12)  German (10)  Spanish (10)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,253)

The Dursleys, Hagrid, Dumbledore, the Weasleys, Hermione, Diagon Alley, Ollivander, the sorting hat, Draco Malfoy, Neville, Professor Snape, Quidditch, Fluffy, the Forbidden Forest, Professor Quirrell, Voldemort and of course, Harry Potter. These are among the many reasons to read (or re-read) this amazing book.

I can't say much about this book or J.K. Rowling or the series itself that hasn't already been said. Suffice it to say that this is a must read for nearly everyone. I remember reading it the first time and never wanting it to end. Then waiting, waiting.... for the next book in the series. Lucky you who can read it now for the first time, and if it takes a part of your soul, are able to read them all at your own pace. I only wish I could read it again for the first time. But, even having read it (twice already), and seen the movies, I was still enthralled by the characters, the amazing settings, and the story.

LOVE LOVE LOVE this book!!!

Recommended to:
Everyone who likes magic, fantasy, amazing characters or stories where someone small achieves something huge against overwhelming odds with the help of his friends. I will say that Voldemort can be frightening and when I read this to my daughter in second grade, she was a little scared of him. We waited a year to move on to the next one. ( )
1 vote Jadedog13 | Feb 3, 2016 |
My friends keep asking why has it taken so long for me to read Harry Potter. The answer is no clue. I must say that I finished this in two days so my answer is I love it! What a great book!

For the rest of the review, visit my blog at: http://angelofmine1974.livejournal.com/101164.html ( )
  booklover3258 | Feb 3, 2016 |
I really love this book. ( )
  worldsaway | Feb 3, 2016 |
I guess if I were still a teenager I would have enjoyed it much more but I just could not get my mind right. ( )
  sundowneruk | Feb 2, 2016 |
I "reread" this over the last week or so by listening to the Stephen Fry audiobook. It's fantastic. I seriously recommend it for anyone who's read the books before but would like a slightly different experience. I'll certainly be listening to the other ones! Also, this is book 100. I achieved my challenge!

***
Harry Potter tends to be one of those things that either works for you or it doesn't. I was just about the right age when the books came out (I must have been around eight-ish when I read the first two and it continued from there) and I always felt that contributed to my affection for the series; I was almost seventeen when the final book was released and just in that same period of almot-adulthood that the protagonist was enduring at the same time.

I've read (and reread) all of the books several times. This first is a reasonably simple adventure story right until the end, and I can't fault it for that. There are hints of things to come in the future - nothing is more prescient, nor creepy, than the suggestion that Dumbledore set it all up so that Harry and Voldemort would face each other - but nothing too heavy. Although, in saying that, retrospectively the Mirror of Erised scene is a bit fucked up. I'm not sure I would like to be confronted with my heart's deepest desire like that, though I suppose that's sort of the point.

These books were responsible for a lot of my formative reading development, and for that I can't fault them, but I appreciate that this is one of the less fully-formed installments. ( )
  thebookmagpie | Jan 30, 2016 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo, hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas, y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un verdadero mago!
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 103,024,468 books! | Top bar: Always visible