Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

98,12616081 (4.28)7 / 1624
Member:KaraLS
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J. K. Rowling

Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, krizia_lazaro)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci: Charmed Life / The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (TomWaitsTables)
    TomWaitsTables: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)

1990s (7)
Ghosts (119)

English (1,530)  Dutch (14)  Spanish (13)  German (12)  Italian (10)  French (6)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Catalan (3)  Swedish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,603)
I'm partaking in my first "official reread" of the Harry Potter books. I'm not just rereading my favorite chapters or revisiting my favorite moments, or watching my favorite Harry and Hermione YouTube videos. I'm doing a for-real "reread".
I've already upgraded this first book rating from it's original 3 star rating to 4 stars. ( )
  mandarella | Jan 22, 2019 |
Although everyone may know this book, it is truly a very good one. I think the author made an excellent job setting her magical world in the same as ours. It is a very creative kind of fantasy. The entire world swallows us as we read this book. It makes us feel like we're part of it. In terms of writing, it is perfect. The moment you start reading the book you are intrigued, and the writing simple but strong, descibing lots of emotions. I felt no difficulty reading this book, which made me enjoy the book even more. ( )
  King_Kunta | Jan 21, 2019 |
So the Sorcerer's Stone is about an orphan named Harry Potter, and he is being taken care of by his cruel Uncle, Aunt, and Cousin(Dudley). So Harry Potter's room is under the stairs but later he is moved to Dudley's 2nd bedroom and when Harry received a letter accepting him to Hogwarts and his Uncle keeps bolting the front door shut so he won't read the letters and they got a hotel room so no more could come but more came and then moved to a boat and then Hagrid came on and told Harry he was a wizard. From then on he went to Hogwarts and got sorted into Gryffindor.

I would recommend this book because it appeals to young and old readers. It's a wonderful story full of Magic, fantasy, and wizardry. The characters have been developed very nicely and i like that there are female and male heroes in this story. My favorite character in this story is Draco Malfoy because he is a Slytherin and I am a Slytherin. I can't wait to read the other books in the series. ( )
  EvieG.G3 | Jan 16, 2019 |
This book is one of the many adventures of the harry potter series.In this book Harry which is the main character of this story parents dies and ends up living with his aunt, cousin and uncle which are very mean to him. Eventually owls start sending letters for him to go to wizard school and the uncle doesn't want him to get the letters so all the letters he's getting from the wizard school.So the uncle gets so sick of the letters he moves to a small island which the day he moved was his birthday a giant man Rubeus Hagrid and takes harry with force from his uncle end gets a wand and broom in diagon ally he gets to have his own storage of MONEY Finds freinds Heroimine and Ronald and goes to the first day of wizard school he gets chosen to be in the Griffendoor house and joins the Quidditch match and wins by getting the golden snitch and he gets suspicious and find a passage leading to the name that should not be said Voldemort he wins but later to face Voldemort again.
  HunterT.B4 | Jan 16, 2019 |
Awesome read!
Harry Potter is an orphan boy living with his cruel aunt and uncle and cousin. But when he receives an invitation to go to a wizarding school called Hogwarts he finds out that he is in fact a wizard himself! Hogwarts is everything he ever dreamed of and more. Everything seems wonderful until sinister things begin to happen around the castle. Harry needs to be very careful, because there is danger lurking in the shadows of Hogwarts.
What an incredibly imaginative story! Even though I have seen all the movies I still like to read the books and compare and contrast the differences between the two mediums. after reading this book I can definitely understand why it is so popular. The characters are relatable and engaging, the story is provocative and well imagined and the writing is damn near close to perfect.
I have to admit I enjoyed this book a lot more than I thought that I would have. I found it fun to go through the book and notate all the differences between the book and the movie. To which there are very subtle differences but not enough to make them different stories. Both are very cleverly done and well done to say the very least.
This is when I think everyone would enjoy from kids, to young adults, to adults. ( )
  TheReadingMermaid | Jan 13, 2019 |
One can reasonably doubt that "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone" is going to prove a classic of children's literature, but Rowling, whatever the aesthetic weaknesses of her work, is at least a millennial index to our popular culture. So huge an audience gives her importance akin to rock stars, movie idols, TV anchors, and successful politicians. Her prose style, heavy on cliche, makes no demands upon her readers. In an arbitrarily chosen single page--page 4--of the first Harry Potter book, I count seven cliches, all of the "stretch his legs" variety.

How to read"Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone"? Why, very quickly, to begin with, perhaps also to make an end. Why read it? Presumably, if you cannot be persuaded to read anything better, Rowling will have to do. is there any redeeming education use to Rowling? Is there any to Stephen King? Why read, if what you read will not enrich mind or spirit or personality? For all I know, the actual wizards and witches of Britain, or America, may provide an alternative culture for more people than is commonly realized.

J. K. Rowlingprimary authorall editionscalculated
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wilharm, SabineCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wyler, LiaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please do not use the canonical title field to force one title over the other.
Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and Wizardry.
-Novelist
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,806,798 books! | Top bar: Always visible