Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

81,81411942 (4.26)7 / 862
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages
Tags:Children's Novel

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (8)
Unread books (1,158)

English (1,130)  Dutch (12)  German (10)  Spanish (9)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  All languages (1,188)
This is a great book series, and I regret not having read them as they came out. The characters are colorful and invoke emotion. Harry's adventures are fun and fanciful, but have a serious side to them as well. These books are great for any age will keep you engaged till the very end. ( )
  alanbuffington | Sep 17, 2015 |
I wanted to wait until all the mania around this series had died down. I think it's safe to I waited long enough.
I can certainly see why this book is what it is. It has so many fun elements that would excite its young audience! Wizards, mystery, comedy. And at the heart of it a story about friendship, hope and courage!
I'm certainly hoping the rest of the series grows up with Harry and becomes more mature, because I found the writing very young! Which makes sense. However, its not my favorite writing style. Luckily, everything I've heard says that it does get more mature, which excites me to continue reading the series.
It certainly had the makings of a classic from this very first novel, and it clearly is just that.
Overall I'm happy I finally joined the bandwagon, and am happy to say that it's a good banwagon to be on! ( )
  Kiddboyblue | Sep 16, 2015 |
I enjoyed this book for a great number of reasons. Firstly, the plot was fascinating and despite the fact that I have read it many times prior to now, I was still enticed in the plot. The story was very suspenseful and the plot was thick with conflict and tension. The plot followed the characters through one year of school and detailed all of the major events over the course of this year at Hogwarts. I think that this helped keep the plot very organized and at one pace. The plot was definitely the most riveting part of this story but I also enjoyed other aspects. The language in this story was amazing; J.K. Rowling used very descriptive language and painted pictures in the readers heads. For example, when reading about Harry Potter finding the right wand for him, you can almost feel what he feels when Rowling describes it. She writes "Harry took the wand. He felt a sudden warmth in his fingers. He raised the wand above his head, brought it swishing down through the dusty air and a stream of red and gold sparks shot from the end like a firework, throwing dancing spots of light on to the walls." (page 85) This is just one of the many examples of the author using descriptive language to give the reader an image. One other thing that I loved about this book was the characters. It was very easy to relate to these well-developed characters which is something very important for children books. Each character in the story was believable and the reader almost felt like they knew them. Readers could feel like they were playing Quidditch with Harry Potter, best friends with Ron Weasley, or fighting a troll with Hermoine Granger because these characters were made to be so realistic. The big idea of this story was that bravery and courage can take you a long way, and that believing in yourself is a crucial aspect of success. Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone was a magnificent story that I would suggest to any children in the 2nd-5th grade range! ( )
  CasieProdoehl | Sep 14, 2015 |
I am glad I finally broke down and read this book! I wish that I had started it when it first came out so that I could have grown up reading it, but I am glad that I understand now why everyone loves this series! ( )
  BridgettKathryn | Sep 6, 2015 |
@hp_sorcerers ( )
  Lorem | Sep 4, 2015 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.
The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.
Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo, hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas, y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un verdadero mago!
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher (asbunny)

A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends. (marcusbrutus)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 99,699,066 books! | Top bar: Always visible