Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

76,831None1 (4.26)7 / 855
Member:kredlove
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Children's Novel

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

adventure (620) boarding school (258) British (440) children (755) children's (1,301) children's fiction (377) children's literature (754) England (459) fantasy (9,083) fiction (5,625) friendship (350) hardcover (206) Harry Potter (3,804) Harry Potter Series (220) Hogwarts (397) J.K. Rowling (392) juvenile (241) magic (3,010) mystery (194) novel (554) own (433) read (1,094) Rowling (225) school (398) series (1,130) sff (238) witches (570) wizards (1,530) YA (797) young adult (1,524)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (timspalding)
    timspalding: Graduate!

English (1,009)  Dutch (11)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,064)
Understanding that these books were intended for a younger audience, I still really enjoyed them. Great characters and a compelling story. ( )
  linda.temple | Apr 9, 2014 |
I am obsessed with this book. I love how engaging the story-line is. The author does a really nice job of making the story so a young reader can relate although the characters are put in a world that is imaginary. For example Harry meets a boy named Draco. Draco is a complete snob and makes fun of Harry's friend Ron for being poor when they are shopping for books. Harry makes the decision to stand up for his friend, regardless if that makes Draco dislike him. This gives a great message to children. Also, the way the author makes the characters able to do magic sparks reader's imaginations. For example, characters perform spells such as "wingardium leviosa". This allows them to elevate whatever object is in front of them. Overall this story demonstrates what good friendship is, and shows the reader that it is admirable to stand up for what you believe in. ( )
  jsanfi1 | Apr 9, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

I started reading Harry Potter a few years ago so that I could find out if they were suitable for my kids. Guess, what? I'm a well-educated adult, and I love Harry Potter! I can't believe that I can be so entertained by something that every kid on the block is reading (usually I don't go for children's fantasy).

Sophisticated adults will complain that this is derivative and "light." Yes, it is. It's children's literature, and that's what kids like. But, this is superior children's literature. The writing is exceptional, the characters are deep, the humor is subtle enough for adults to enjoy. It's very well done. I wish that all of the stuff my kids were reading was done this well.

I'm thrilled that, because of Harry Potter, children are reading large novels again. I know several kids who've been inspired to read, and to not be intimidated by big books, because of J.K. Rowling. If you have only seen the movies and haven't read the books, you are really missing out.
Read more J.K. Rowling book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
I'm not going to spend a whole lot of time on this one. I speculate that I may be the last person on earth to start this series so I'm pretty sure the plot doesn’t require a lot of summarizing.

I will say that I'm glad I've finished this book. I've seen the movie adaptation twice and going through the story a third time in this format wasn't really all that enjoyable for me. Overall, I think that hindered my rating, which probably isn't all that fair.

Seeing as I haven't seen the other movies nor have I read the remaining books, I'm looking forward to really getting into the Potter universe. ( )
  branimal | Apr 1, 2014 |
This is a Great Book For People With A Love For Wizards And Witchs :)
  Rm10 | Mar 31, 2014 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Witchcraft and wizardry.

Current discussions

Harry Potter and the Re/Read of The Sorcerer's/Philosopher's Stone in 75 Books Challenge for 2014

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,463,661 books! | Top bar: Always visible