Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Jim Dale (Narrator)

78,31611001 (4.26)7 / 858
Member:gypsysmom
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Jim Dale (Narrator)
Info:Listening Library (Audio) (1999), Edition: Unabridged CD, Audio CD
Collections:Read but unowned
Rating:***
Tags:wizards, witches, school, audiobook

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (timspalding)
    timspalding: Graduate!
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)

English (1,043)  Dutch (12)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,099)
What can I say? Harry is great. Rowling does such an excellent job creating this alternate world, full of so much detail that the reader's imagination has no limits. This is akin to the Star Wars universe. So many opportunities to use this book with students.
  hugo.johnson | Aug 13, 2014 |
The book that led me through life, there will never be one so flawless again. ( )
  writercity | Aug 13, 2014 |
I'm ju-u-ust heading into my twenties, and I had never read a Harry Potter book before. I figured I was probably too old to enjoy them by now, but I decided to pick a used copy up for fifty cents at a library fundraiser.

Wow! I have not had such a quick, purely enjoyable read in a while. Everything about it oozes fun - Rowling is great at painting mental pictures, and her characters warmed my heart with their familiarity and depth.

Depth. In a kids' book. Who'd have thought?

I honestly didn't know what I had been missing, but I'm an avid fan and catching up quickly! ( )
  zhyatt | Aug 12, 2014 |
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

Incredible, magical and totally hilarious. Spell awestruck. M-E. I can't believe I've put off reading this book for years. Well, now at least I know what the fuss is all about. I really wished I've read this sooner!

The plot:

It was unique and exceptionally good. I can't help but loved Hogwarts and wished it to be a real school. The classes are so cool, I mean, we all wished somehow to learn how to fly sometime in our lives, right?

The world building is fascinating. I was truly delighted while exploring Harry's world, learning about those complicated things like Quidditch, the houses, the sorting hat! At first, I was having a hard time dealing with them but then again that's common when starting books.

The characters:

Harry Potter. I admire Harry for even though he grew up in a family that treated him like dirt, he still managed to have a brave and kind heart. He has serious self-worth issues at first but he managed to somehow overcome them.

“Don't play," said Hermione at once.
"Say you're ill," said Ron.
"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.
"Really break your leg," said Ron.”

The friendship between Harry, Ron and Hermione is amazing. The bonds between them was formed by really extraordinary circumstances. Hermione Granger is such a headstrong girl. Obviously, she's a good company and influence to have. A little bit of a perfectionist at the beginning but she started to loosen up by the end of the book. Ron Weasley is a great friend and sidekick. He's fiercely loyal and I'm happy Harry and Ron stick together since the beginning.

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to
our enemies, but just as much to stand up to
our friends.”

The other characters were introduced and portrayed perfectly. The Dursley Family annoyed me so much, I mean, Harry slept in the cupboards? :O Draco Malfoy sucks and I just know that he's going to be some kind of a villain in the next books.

Everyone added something to fuel my interest more, as if it needed fueling. I can't wait to hear about Harry and his gang's next adventure!

The ending:

It was so awesome! I was really shocked at the turn of some events and I did not expect that one guy to be the villain at all!

Okay. I didn't need to say anything more. Definitely looking forward to continuing this series. :) ( )
  margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
“To the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure.”

The plot:

The characters:

“Don't play," said Hermione at once.
"Say you're ill," said Ron.
"Pretend to break your leg," Hermione suggested.
"Really break your leg," said Ron.”

“It takes a great deal of bravery to stand up to
our enemies, but just as much to stand up to
our friends.”

The ending:

1 vote margaraawr | Aug 8, 2014 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,294,637 books! | Top bar: Always visible