Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone (Harry…

Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, Book One) (original 1997; edition 1998)

by J. K. Rowling (Author), Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

78,95111131 (4.26)7 / 859
Member:powertriangle
Title:Harry Potter and The Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, Book One)
Authors:J. K. Rowling (Author)
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:New York : A.A. Levine Books, 1998.
Rating:*****
Tags:Fantasy, Witches, Wizards, Schools, England

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (1997)

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    The Books of Magic by Neil Gaiman (one-horse.library)
    one-horse.library: You want an explanation? Read The Books of Magic; if you loved Sorcerer's Stone, which is about an ordinary boy discovering a whole new world where he finds a future larger than he had ever imagined, you will love Neil Gaiman's The Books of Magic. If you ever find yourself thinking that after an awful lot of sequels and years of a multi-billion dollar franchise being squeezed for every Knut, that the world of Harry Potter has lost its magic, I urge you to rediscover it again in The Books of Magic. There is nothing else to say; there is only awe and wonders.… (more)

English (1,054)  Dutch (12)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Spanish (8)  French (5)  Danish (3)  Finnish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Swedish (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,111)
Very good. I was impressed by the fact that Rowling doesn't "write down" for her audience. I assume that's why adults like it as well. Good characterizations, imaginative plot, fast-paced, a good fun read. ( )
  AliceAnna | Oct 20, 2014 |
I "reread" this over the last week or so by listening to the Stephen Fry audiobook. It's fantastic. I seriously recommend it for anyone who's read the books before but would like a slightly different experience. I'll certainly be listening to the other ones! Also, this is book 100. I achieved my challenge!

***
Harry Potter tends to be one of those things that either works for you or it doesn't. I was just about the right age when the books came out (I must have been around eight-ish when I read the first two and it continued from there) and I always felt that contributed to my affection for the series; I was almost seventeen when the final book was released and just in that same period of almot-adulthood that the protagonist was enduring at the same time.

I've read (and reread) all of the books several times. This first is a reasonably simple adventure story right until the end, and I can't fault it for that. There are hints of things to come in the future - nothing is more prescient, nor creepy, than the suggestion that Dumbledore set it all up so that Harry and Voldemort would face each other - but nothing too heavy. Although, in saying that, retrospectively the Mirror of Erised scene is a bit fucked up. I'm not sure I would like to be confronted with my heart's deepest desire like that, though I suppose that's sort of the point.

These books were responsible for a lot of my formative reading development, and for that I can't fault them, but I appreciate that this is one of the less fully-formed installments. ( )
  humblewomble | Oct 19, 2014 |
(6)
  mshampson | Oct 15, 2014 |
Harry Potter, a young boy who was orphaned as a baby, discovers that he is a lot more special than his aunt and uncle want him to believe. He's a boy wizard and it is time for him to begin learning all it means to be a wizard. ( )
  Srwhite | Oct 2, 2014 |
My first re-read of the potter series (book 3 was reread already once before). Now rereading the story as 1) older and 2) knowing what happens both at the end of the book and the end of the series makes certain things stand out more: how much harry and ron hated hermione, mention of siruius black, the foundation for snape as a character etc.

The book did appear to be a little rushed, and that is probably why the later books are so much longer than the first few. Indeed, when an entire year of magic is crammed into 309 pages including heavy dialogue, there isnt much room for description.

Stuff i would still like to know: does each house start with points for the House Cup or do they start from 0, thereby possibly dipping into the negatives? is there a reason why so many characters alliterate their names? why is the letter H used so often for names? what were the results of the other Quidditch matches between the other houses, and is there a Quidditch champion or is it rolled into House Championship?

A note on the edition: It is the 10th anniversary edition, which has a different illustration on the dust jacket. It includes a nice full colour frontispiece depicting the boat ride to Hogwartz for the first time. Also beyond the title page is a hand drawn sketch by Rowling of Snape c1992-3. Printed on a heavier paper, colored in cream (as in the paper is not bright white). Clothbound in red with gold foil stamping on the spine; and the front and back boards are covered in more or less randomly, handdrawn 6-pointed stars. Endpapers in violet colored paper. ( )
  T4NK | Sep 30, 2014 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,324,196 books! | Top bar: Always visible