Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

77,81710911 (4.26)7 / 855
Member:thebooyakid
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:***

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J. K. Rowling (1997)

adventure (632) boarding school (259) British (443) children (761) children's (1,315) children's fiction (381) children's literature (764) England (466) fantasy (9,192) fiction (5,684) friendship (363) hardcover (212) Harry Potter (3,845) Harry Potter Series (221) Hogwarts (407) J.K. Rowling (406) juvenile (241) magic (3,068) mystery (196) novel (565) own (440) read (1,109) Rowling (226) school (402) series (1,143) sff (243) witches (581) wizards (1,551) YA (816) young adult (1,546)
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell by Susanna Clarke (timspalding)
    timspalding: Graduate!
    Witch Week by Diana Wynne Jones (tortoise)

English (1,034)  Dutch (12)  German (9)  Italian (8)  Spanish (8)  French (4)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Swedish (2)  Hungarian (2)  Catalan (2)  Portuguese (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Russian (1)  All languages (1,090)
Harry Potter is one of those books that I've been avoiding reading...but we read it as part of a book club at school...and Rowling is good. It's a fun book, that I enjoyed reading...and I will, no doubt, read the rest of the series (in time..). ( )
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
  csweder | Jul 8, 2014 |
Do you remember entering that wonderful world of books as a child? The books by Enid Blyton et al and the tales of the Knights of the Round Table and of Robin Hood; the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys sleuthing stories; the Sherlock Holmes mysteries and the ones by Agatha Christie? The school stories and the stories of magic and mystery and mayhem; and the ones where you could fly or where the foundling who turned out to be the hero who saved the world?

Well, this book rolls all of those into one, and does it well.

Though we see Harry Potter arriving at his Aunt Petunia's house under mysterious circumstances, we first really meet him as he is approaching his tenth birthday, and finds out he has a magical heritage, when he is invited to attend Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, run by its eccentric headmaster Albus Dumbledore.

After introducing us to Harry and his circumstances, this book covers Harry's first year of (secondary) school as he is introduced to the magical community. As its existence has been hidden from him until now, he is as clueless as we are and we learn along with him about this alternative world.

I must confess that I only started reading this series because my husband bought the fourth book ([Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire]) for me and, being a completist, I had to start at the beginning. I've always found it hard to pinpoint how I feel about the books since they were already so famous.

Rowling's world building is solid and fairly consistent. This first book is quite light in tenor (wizarding folk can be spotted in our world by their odd clothing and brightly coloured cloaks for instance), though Harry and his friends face danger and some people do get hurt - but they can be healed magically. The story is paced well, with the right amount of action and adventure and quirkiness - and not forgetting the ick factor so essential for the target age group.

Professor Snape is deliciously villainous. The Dursleys are so very bad to Harry, but it's so tongue-in-cheek that you don't feel very sorry for him, because - anyway - you know he's going to go to Hogwarts and learn magic - because it says so on the back. ;0)

I leave you with the school song :

"Everyone pick their favourite tune," said Dumbledore, "and off we go!"

Hogwarts, Hogwarts, Hoggy Warty Hogwarts,
Teach us something please,
Whether we be old and bald
Or young with scabby knees,
Our heads could do with filling,
With some interesting stuff,
For now they're bare and full of air,
Dead flies and bits of fluff,
So teach us things worth knowing,
Bring back what we've forgot,
Just do your best, we'll do the rest,
And learn until our brains all rot.

4 stars ( )
1 vote humouress | Jul 4, 2014 |
One of my favorites! ( )
  MelissaPatek | Jun 24, 2014 |
One of my favorite books! It really propelled my interest in reading! It helped me learn so much about reading strategies and vocabulary development. ( )
  melissapatek48 | Jun 23, 2014 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Dragones y Monstruos

Kibuishi, KazuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,236,390 books! | Top bar: Always visible