Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone…

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) (original 1997; edition 1999)

by J.K. Rowling, Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)

86,57113262 (4.27)7 / 1126
Member:kschorn
Title:Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1)
Authors:J.K. Rowling
Other authors:Mary GrandPré (Illustrator)
Info:Scholastic Paperbacks (1999), Edition: 1st, Paperback, 320 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:fantasy, magic, series

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Book 1) by J. K. Rowling (1997)

Recently added bywdshep2, fergie20, private library, balldawg, lynseyrydberg, HaleiP, lawpirate, AllyWatkins, e-zReader
Legacy LibrariesTim Spalding
    The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan (alexiscartwheel, night_sky, krizia_lazaro)
    night_sky: What Harry is to magic, Percy (Perseus) is to Greek Mythology. There is even an ancient evil trying to come back!
    Artemis Fowl by Eoin Colfer (FFortuna, Morteana)
    The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe by C. S. Lewis (Patangel)
    The Amulet of Samarkand by Jonathan Stroud (xicanti, Unionhawk)
    xicanti: Another take on the whole boy wizard idea, albeit a decidedly darker one.
    A Wizard of Earthsea by Ursula K. Le Guin (wosret, quigui)
    The Dark Is Rising by Susan Cooper (psybre)
    The Golden Compass (His Dark Materials, Book 1) by Philip Pullman (Patangel, Leishai)
    The Lives of Christopher Chant by Diana Wynne Jones (_Zoe_)
    The Chronicles of Chrestomanci, Volume I by Diana Wynne Jones (amyblue)
    The Lord of the Rings by J. R. R. Tolkien (Unionhawk)
    Unionhawk: Both good fantasy series. Lord of the Rings is a slightly more difficult read though...
    So You Want to be a Wizard by Diane Duane (tortoise, persky, suzanney, FFortuna)
    His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman (guurtjesboekenkast)
    Magyk by Angie Sage (Bitter_Grace, LadyBlakeny)
    Sabriel by Garth Nix (wosret, darzzled)
    The Once and Future King by T. H. White (SomeGuyInVirginia)
    SomeGuyInVirginia: White's tale of glory and sorcery.
    Charmed Life by Diana Wynne Jones (kerravonsen)
    kerravonsen: Children's fantasy, check. Protagonist who doesn't know he's a magician/wizard, check. Schooling in magic, check.
    The Tales of Beedle the Bard by J. K. Rowling (norabelle414)
    The Worst Witch by Jill Murphy (cransell, Wraith_Ravenscroft)
    cransell: The first in an enjoyable series of stories about a young witch at boarding school.
    Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: Although this series isn't at all about magic, it's about an ordinary boy (11) who finds himself in a strange land and must go on a dangerous quest to save an underground civilization. This is the first book in an exciting series by the author of The Hunger Games.… (more)
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (jfoster_sf)
    jfoster_sf: This is a great fantasy series about a brother and sister who are sent to live with their grandparents for the summer. When they arrive they are amazed at how much land their grandparents own-a vast forest, expansive grounds, and a beautiful garden. When Seth goes to explore the forest (although his Grandfather has clearly forbidden it), he meets Muriel, a cunning witch who tries to capture him. This meeting soon unlocks a great secret that their grandparents have been guarding for many years. This is an exciting, funny, and mysterious fantasy that I highly recommend reading!… (more)

1990s (8)

English (1,263)  Dutch (13)  German (10)  Spanish (10)  Italian (8)  French (5)  Catalan (3)  Finnish (3)  Danish (3)  Hungarian (2)  Portuguese (1)  Russian (1)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Piratical (1)  All languages (1,325)
... is it even fair for me to rate this book?!

This book was the book, or, rather, the Harry Potter series was the series that started me reading independently as a child. A lot of other books my mother read to me, or I read because I had to. This book was really the first book that I read and didn't want to end.

So, in the usual fashion for my particular generation who grew up with these books, thank you so much, J.K. Rowling. You got me reading, and I owe you so much.

I learnt the other day that my brother-in-law's little sister, who is ten, hadn't read the books. And I resolved, instantly, that I must give her a copy. But now I have a choice, the paperback or the illustrated version?! (!!!!)

A few years ago, my dad turned up with a pile of books for me from storage from our old family home. I gave away most of the books, but I found my original copy of this book, and just melted.

I'm so excited to keep sharing this book and it gives me such pleasure, as a teacher, to watch other kids in my class pick up the books and improve their reading because they want to read books like this.

This is such a biased review, but honestly, this book started me reading, and to get a child to read for the love of reading is a feat in and of itself.

(P.S. Does anyone think Harry's a bit of an annoying twat in this book? I did. Still probably do. I'd love to reread it, though.) ( )
  lydia1879 | Aug 31, 2016 |
Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables
tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo,
hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para
siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el
colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese
momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela
tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de
defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de
quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas,
y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos
temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le
permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera
vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un mago!
  Marcelo_Arevalo | Aug 23, 2016 |
Read this with my son and we both enjoyed it. He enjoyed it a bit more than I did. I, honestly, didn't think I'd get into it but I did and found myself quite involved. Rowling has a great gift at writing a scene. I felt like I was in the stands watching Harry play Quidditch. ( )
  amcheri | Aug 22, 2016 |
I can now say I have ready a Harry Potter book. It is excellent for the age group it is written for. I can fully understand the phenomenon. However, I think my journey with HP will end here. Cheers! ( )
  Maureen_McCombs | Aug 19, 2016 |
Really good. ( )
  aphilo | Aug 15, 2016 |
On the whole, ''Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone'' is as funny, moving and impressive as the story behind its writing. J. K. Rowling, a teacher by training, was a 30-year-old single mother living on welfare in a cold one-bedroom flat in Edinburgh when she began writing it in longhand during her baby daughter's nap times. But like Harry Potter, she had wizardry inside, and has soared beyond her modest Muggle surroundings to achieve something quite special.

The light-hearted caper travels through the territory owned by the late Roald Dahl, especially in the treatment of the bad guys — they are uniformly as unshadedly awful as possible —but the tone is a great deal more affectionate. A charming and readable romp with a most sympathetic hero and filled with delightful magic details.

Harry Potter se ha quedado huérfano y vive en casa de sus abominables tíos y del insoportable primo Dudley. Harry se siente muy triste y solo, hasta que un buen día recibe una carta que cambiará su vida para siempre. En ella le comunican que ha sido aceptado como alumno en el colegio interno Hogwarts de magia y hechicería. A partir de ese momento, la suerte de Harry da un vuelco espectacular. En esa escuela tan especial aprenderá encantamientos, trucos fabulosos y tácticas de defensa contra las malas artes. Se convertirá en el campeón escolar de quidditch, especie de fútbol aéreo que se juega montado sobre escobas, y se hará un puñado de buenos amigos... aunque también algunos temibles enemigos. Pero sobre todo, conocerá los secretos que le permitirán cumplir con su destino. Pues, aunque no lo parezca a primera vista, Harry no es un chico común y corriente. ¡Es un verdadero mago!
added by Pakoniet | editLecturalia

Riglietti, SerenaIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Taylor, ThomasCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vierikko, VesaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
for Jessica, who loves stories,
for Anne, who loved them too,
and for Di, who heard this one first.
Mr. and Mrs. Dursley, of number four, Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much.
The wand chooses the wizard, remember…I think we must expect great things from you, Mr. Potter…After all, He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.
Initially published as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone.
The change to 'Sorcerer' is in the US title.

Please don't put either title in the canonical title field.
Orphaned as a baby, Harry Potter has spent 11 awful years living with his mean aunt, uncle, and cousin Dudley. But everything changes for Harry when an owl delivers a mysterious letter inviting him to attend a school for wizards. At this special school, Harry finds friends, aerial sports, and magic in everything from classes to meals, as well as a great destiny that's been waiting for him...if Harry can survive the encounter. From an author who has been compared to C. S. Lewis and Roald Dahl, this enchanting, funny debut novel won England's National Book Award and the prestigious Smarties Prize.

(Charles Duff Review below)

What else can you say about Harry Potter....phenomena...landmark...revolutionary...historic.  Whether its read to young children or children read it themselves.  Harry Potter is removed from the torment of his Aunt and Uncle and attends the Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.  It's almost an automatic choice for independent reading.  English teachers could use this, since so many read it, to offer up blogging opportunities for sharing thoughts and opinions on the text.  Here is a link for teachers on some teaching resources for the Harry Potter series: http://www.nea.org/tools/lessons/teac...
Harry's a wizard
studies magic at Hogwarts
fights possessed teacher
(asbunny)
A wizard child
saves his school from a Dark Lord
and makes some new friends.
(marcusbrutus)
Orphaned a baby
but growing up unknowing
he is a wizard
(Firefox-Flame_dancer)
Went with a strange man

because he gave me chocolate.

Almost got murdered.

(CathWhitney)

Rescued from the outrageous neglect of his aunt and uncle, a young boy with a great destiny proves his worth while attending Hogwarts School for Wizards and Witches.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 108,532,202 books! | Top bar: Always visible