The Devouring by Simon Holt

The Devouring (edition 2009)

by Simon Holt

Member:MyBookishWays
Title:The Devouring
Authors:Simon Holt
Info:Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (2009), Paperback, 256 pages

The Devouring by Simon Holt

Recently added byHertfordLC, MidnightFae, misshannahlori, turk70, ceecee83, nycke137, private library

English (44)  French (1)  All languages (45)
  nycke137 | Jul 29, 2014 |
It's been awhile since I have read this entire series, but i still remember how I loved it. Very addicting. might read again. ( )
  darkonelh3730 | Dec 27, 2013 |
Once you get past the shock value of this book (and there are some distracting moments, including eating spiders and small animals dying), this book does have a few strengths.

The two protagonists, Reggie and Aaron, are likable. They both have their flaws, but we're given the chance to see them grow and change by the end of the book, which sometimes gets overlooked in favor of plot. Both Reggie and Aaron are big fans of horror, but have crippling fears they eventually have to address. Aaron is terrified of water, while Reggie's (which initially seems to be spiders) ties into her mother's abandonment of her family.

The plot itself, though, is a weaker element of the novel. Reggie and Aaron unintentionally summon the Vours, ghost-like creatures who possess humans and prey on fear. A Vour ends up possessing Reggie's brother, Henry, and the two have to rescue him. The Vours are definitely creepy as all get-out, but we don't find out much about them in this installment. They apparently come from another dimension, though we're not sure where. We also know they feed off fear, but again, we aren't sure what they get from it or why they would want to possess humans for an extended period of time. The book also doesn't really have a conclusion, and just sort of stops once Henry is rescued. This is apparently the first in a series, so I'd expect the later books to address some of these issues, but I would have liked to see this one stand on its own a little more. ( )
  Becky_Jean | Mar 31, 2013 |
To Cary, Cathy, Connie, and Alvina
On Sorry Night, just a few days before Christmas, you have to snuff the lamps, douse the flames in the fireplace, and spend the night in the cold and dark.

The existence of Vours, supernatural creatures who feast on fear and attack on the eve of the winter solstice, becomes a terrifying reality for fifteen-year-old Reggie when she begins to suspect that her timid younger brother might be one of their victims.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,737,906 books! | Top bar: Always visible