Death of a Witch by M. C. Beaton

Death of a Witch (original 2009; edition 2010)

by M. C. Beaton

Member:SharronA
Title:Death of a Witch
Authors:M. C. Beaton
Info:Grand Central Pub 2010-01-04 (2010), Edition: First Edition, Paperback
Rating:***
Tags:mystery series

Death of a Witch by M. C. Beaton (2009)

I really enjoy Hamish Macbeth. A relaxing light read with good humor. I listened to Graeme Malcolm read this. Wonderful reader. Lovely accents. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
"Returning from a foreigh holiday, the red-headed Constable Hamish Macbeth senses a dark cloud of evil hanging over his Scottish village of Lochdubh. A newcomer, Catriona Beldame, has cast a spell over the town, and word of her magical powers spreads as fast as the Highland fog. The local men are visiting Catriona's cottage at all hours of the night and the women are outraged, ready to cast this witch into the sea loch. Hamish himself is charmed by her, too, until he begins to suspect that she is a danger to the town.

"The townsfolk simply don't believe that Catriona is a serious threat, saying that the loveless constable has turned against all women, and before he can prove them wrong, she is murdered. Catriona, in her own wicked way, curses Hamish from beyond the grave, making him the prime suspect in her murder case. Hamish will call upon the assistance of a pretty female forensic expert as he attemp0ts to clear his name -- perhaps he will find romance at last! Lochdubh's loyal constable won't give up until he can bring peace and quiet back to his beloved village."
~~front & back flaps

Hamish is his usual intuitive self, eventually solving the various murders -- after a good deal of to and froing to other places to find the clues that set him on the right path. And Elspeth and Priscilla elude him again. ( )
  Aspenhugger | Feb 7, 2014 |
GENRE/PUB DATE/PUBLISHER/# OF PGS: Mystery/2009/Hachette Book Group/245 pgs
SERIES/STAND ALONE: #25 in Hamish Macbeth series

TIME/PLACE: Current/Lochdubbh -- Scottish Highlands
CHARACTERS: Constable Hamish Macbeth

FIRST LINES: Police Constable Hamish Macbeth, heading home to his police station the village of Lochdubh in Sutherland, heaved a sigh of relief.

COMMENTS: I still love this series, it is always a lovely visit to Lochdubh. Fun characters and a good mystery. In this outing Hamish returns from a vacation to Spain to find a new resident -- Catronia Beldame, who seems to be a witch the way she has cast a spell on the male residents. Hamish, doubts she has special powers more likely the use of some type of illicit substance. He is too late on his confrontation -- someone already got to her & she has been murdered in her home . ( )
  pammykn | Oct 13, 2013 |
For a cozy, this book revealed an awfully dark side of the village - I don't think I've read a single Hamish Macbeth book yet where the murderer was actually a villager. Husband beating is something I don't see mentioned a lot in books in general, much less cozy mysteries (if I'm wrong about classifying this series as a "cozy mystery series", do let me know). And widespread, secret prostitution on Hamish's beat...? Wow.

Hamish really isn't lucky with women - all of them sneer at his love for his pets, and everyone either wants him to loosen up about them or wants to completely change him. No one likes that he just wants to stay in Lochdubh, living just the way he always has. I did like that he finally explained what made him want to become a Lochdubh police officer, and this is the first book I've read that had his mom in it. I began this series very late and have yet to read most of the earlier books, so, while none of this may have been new to long-time readers of this series, it was new to me.

Speaking of new things, I wonder if Caroline will show up in any future books? I doubt he'll have more luck with her than with any of the others, and I'm thinking she's probably just a one night stand, but it's possible. She could shake things up a bit in his love life - things are getting a bit old with Elspeth and Priscilla. The whole "on again, off again" thing can be fun for a bit, but that's all that ever seems to happen between Hamish and either Elspeth or Priscilla. I don't know that I necessarily am wishing for him to end up with Caroline, but I wouldn't mind something new cropping up to complicate Hamish's love life, if he's going to continue not choosing between Elspeth and Priscilla.

I was really surprised that there wasn't more about Blair's new wife - also, it seems that Blair is actually kind of happy in his new marriage. She tries to get him to be healthier (eat better, quit drinking alcohol), and he tries to avoid her nagging, like any husband. Maybe Blair will settle into marriage better than I thought he would, considering that he didn't get married by choice.

Overall, it's a very twisty and interesting mystery, and I had fun trying to figure out why Ina was involved in all of this, although this isn't really the kind of mystery where the reader should be able to figure out the murderer - not enough information is given. With this series, it's the characters and the location that are the draw, as well as the humor. I do wonder, though, if Hamish will be able to look at the villagers the same way from now on, knowing what sorts of things might be hiding underneath the surface?

(Original review, with read-alikes, posted on A Library Girl's Familiar Diversions.) ( )
  Familiar_Diversions | Sep 24, 2013 |
'Death of a Witch' begins with a woman bearing the unlikely (but fake) name of Catriona Beldame taking a cottage in Lochdubh. Talk quickly spreads that she is a witch and that evil is abroad. She is soon found murdered in her cottage and shortly afterwards the place catches fire and is burnt to the ground. Hamish investigates in his usual unorthodox way and it is not long before he uncovers a nest of vipers. Put down by Blair and struggling to keep his place in his beloved Lochbubh,he has a constant struggle on his hands.
His love life is still causing him trouble and in addition to Elspeth the reporter and Priscilla,he also has to contend with Lesley Seaton from forensics. ( )
  devenish | Nov 3, 2012 |
For Rene and Carole of Stow-on-the-Wold,
with affection.
Police Constable Hamish Macbeth, heading home to his police station in the village of Lochdubh in Sutherland, heaved a sigh of relief.

ISBN 9780446615495 A deadly brew of toil and trouble. Returning from a vacation, Constable Hamish Macbeth senses a dark cloud of evil hanging over his Scottish village of Lochdubh. Newcomer Catriona Beldame has cast a bewitching spell over the town, causing the local men to visit her cottage at all hours of the night and infuriating the women. Hamish suspects that she is a great danger to the town. Before he can prove that Catriona is truly wicked, she is brutally murdered - and Hamish becomes the prime suspect in the case. The constable will call upon the assistance of a pretty female forensic expert as he attempts to clear his name... and perhaps even find some romance. But when more violence breaks out, loyal Hamish must use all his detective skills to restore peace to his beloved village.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0446196134, Hardcover)

Returning from a foreign holiday, Hamish Macbeth is worried because he senses a dark cloud of evil hanging over the Highland village of Lochdubh. He learns that a newcomer, Catriona Beldame, is regarded as a witch and various men have been seen visiting her. Hamish himself is charmed by her until he finds out she has been supplying dangerous potions. At first the villagers won't listen to him, saying that the loveless Hamish has turned against all women. He threatens to kill her so that when she is found murdered, he must clear his name and then work to solve yet another murder to bring peace and quiet back to his beloved village. His investigations are complicated by a romance with a female forensic expert. Perhaps he'll get married at last!

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:34:18 -0400)

Hamish Macbeth, Scotland's most laconic and low-tech policeman, investigates the death of a woman with seemingly unearthly powers.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,598,934 books! | Top bar: Always visible