Hail to the Chef by Julie Hyzy

Hail to the Chef (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Julie Hyzy

Member:comfy_corner
Title:Hail to the Chef
Authors:Julie Hyzy
Info:Berkley (2008), Paperback, 336 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Hyzy - White House Chef Mystery BOOK 2

Hail To The Chef by Julie Hyzy (2008)

English (17)  Piratical (1)  All languages (18)
An enjoyable read. Nothing deep or heavy, but written well with good characters and style.
I was pulled in due to the genre - culinary mystery - and where it takes place, the White House.
Ollie has her hands full with Thanksgiving and Christmas events to manage, yet still finds time to investigate bomb threats and behind the scenes maneuvering involving the First Lady's life.
The supporting cast are characters in their own right, but work well as a team in supporting Ollie.
I plan to read the first book of the series to get a bit of background on Ollie, and will also look for subsequent books. ( )
  ChazziFrazz | Jun 23, 2016 |
The second in a series of cozy mysteries featuring White House Executive Chef Ollie Paras begins at Thanksgiving and takes the reader through preparations to decorate the White House for Christmas. But the discovery of a fake bomb hidden in the building complex puts everyone on edge. Clearly it was planted by an insider, for who else would have access? Was this someone’s idea of a practical joke? Or is someone seriously trying to harm the President?

This was fairly entertaining, but I guess what was going on FAR ahead of Ollie, and even, apparently, the Secret Service Agent in Charge! I didn’t even have the benefit of an intense one-on-one hours-long training session with said AiC, the way Ollie did, to get the message. Yet time and again Ollie ignored the warning signs that I felt were as obvious as the largest Las Vegas neon sign. Oh well … all’s well that ends well.

It’s a cozy mystery and I read this genre for the escape from reality. And this certainly fills that bill. ( )
  BookConcierge | Feb 9, 2016 |
White House executive chef Ollie Paras has her hands full preparing for the beginning of the holiday season. Ollie and her staff will be serving Thanksgiving for the President and his wife and a small circle of their friends, then preparing food for a gathering of mothers and children to publicize the gingerbread decorating contest with entries contributed by children from across the U.S. If that wasn't enough to keep the White House kitchen hopping, Ollie and her staff must also participate mandatory training courses with the Secret Service to learn to spot potential security threats. Ollie and Special Agent Gavin start off on the wrong foot, but they gradually earn each others' respect, especially when Ollie's sixth sense starts picking up on danger lurking within the White House.

I still enjoy reading about the behind-the-scenes activity in the White House. I've watched the holiday tours on HGTV so it was fun reading about the preparations for this annual media event. The mystery wasn't as difficult to solve as the one in the first book, perhaps because the cover illustration gives away most of the plot. This is one of the better recent cozy series, and I'll look forward to reading more about Ollie's White House adventures. ( )
  cbl_tn | May 10, 2014 |
With the holidays coming up, White House Executive Chef Ollie Paras and her staff are busy taking care of the food needs of all the extra celebrations. She's hired a new chef Agba from the SBA to help them keep up with the preparations. When a fake bomb sends them to the bunkers and out to the streets, the entire White House is placed on enhanced security and must attend a series of meetings designed to help them spot security threats. In the mean time, the first lady is being pressured to sell her part in a company with a philanthropic mission. There are a couple of deaths, the first one being an electrocution. There is much more to the plot, but I don't want to give it away. This is definitely an above average cozy read and one that is quite enjoyable. While some of the situations might be implausible in a different location, they work well in the context of the White House. ( )
  thornton37814 | Feb 10, 2014 |
I've read these books out of order, if one were to read in the order in which books are printed. Hail to the Chef is more enjoyable for me because Ollie is not presented as needy and insecure as I remember her being in later titles of the White House chef series. Gotta love strong female roles! I hope later books will remove Ollies insecurity and self-doubt because if one is the White House chef, one is confidant and secure in one's ability. ( )
  KarenRinn | Nov 2, 2013 |
For Rene

and

For Karen
I stopped short at the doorway to the White House solarium.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425224996, Mass Market Paperback)

White House executive chef Ollie Paras has to put her own interests on the back burner when a kindly electrician is electrocuted to death, and the First Lady’s nephew dies in an apparent suicide less than 24 hours after cleaning shrimp with Ollie. Ollie suspects something fishy is going on. She’ll have to watch her back—and find a killer unlikely to be pardoned.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:27 -0400)

White House executive chef Ollie Paras has to put her own interests on the back burner when a kindly electrician is electrocuted to death, and the First Ladys nephew dies in an apparent suicide less than 24 hours after cleaning shrimp with Ollie. Ollie suspects something fishy is going on. Shell have to watch her backand find a killer unlikely to be pardoned.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,135,008 books! | Top bar: Always visible