How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much…

How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much

by Ellyn Satter

How to Get Your Kid to Eat: But Not Too Much probably could have been shortened to a brochure in order to get the main point across, but I’m still very thankful that we have the book in our home library. Hayden is not much of an eater, unless you count bread, fruit, pizza, chicken nuggets and boogers as a well rounded diet. This book has tried to tell me that it will be okay, though. My job is to provide him with food. His job is to decided what and how much to eat. We’re getting there. At least he isn’t throwing temper tantrums when solid vegetables are on his plate any more.

While the book doesn’t have all the questions and answers I would like it to have (such as, how do I get my child to eat a vegetable that doesn’t come from a baby jar and what about when the kid asks for seconds of bread at the dinner table but has touched nothing else?) it’s a start at least. I can admit that I don’t look forward to the first time another mother sees that Hayden may have a portion of dessert with his dinner, watches him scarf it down and then ask to be excused. But at least my three-year-old says, after he’s finished eating his carbs, “May I be excused now?” ( )
  HippieLunatic | Dec 3, 2007 |
a fabulous book, worth reading and re-reading as your family eating dynamics change over time.
  CrunchyGranola | Dec 30, 2006 |
Brilliant. Excellent ideas coupled with excellent presentation. This book should be in every parent's toolbox.

Parents are in charge of what food the child has to choose from and when food is presented.
Children are in charge or how much they eat, what they eat, and whether they eat anything.

The goal of parents should be threefold:
- Provide children with the nutrition and calories they need to grow.
- Help them learn to enjoy many different kinds of food.
- Give them an opportunity to learn to self-regulate their eating; to know what hunger feels like but that it's not disasterous; to provide their own calorie regulation.

I would recommend this book OVER a pediatrician's advice about feeding. ( )
  meganparenting | Sep 21, 2006 |

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0915950839, Paperback)

"Feeding is a metaphor for the parent/child relationship overall," says Ellyn Satter, author of How to Get Your Kid to Eat ... But Not Too Much. Satter stresses her "Golden Rule" of parenting: parents are responsible for what is presented to eat and the manner in which it is presented. Children are responsible for how much or even whether they eat. Early chapters describe basic feeding principals. Satter then stresses ways to develop and maintain normal eating patterns from birth through adolescence, and provides solid information (and information on "solids") to both empower and relieve all parents worried about how their child eats. Later sections focus on feeding problems, obesity, special needs children, and eating disorders. How to Get Your Kid to Eat ... But Not Too Much may be the most sensible and accessible book on childhood feeding on the market.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:00:57 -0400)

This book teaches simple ground rules for developing healthy, happy eating habits. By building on natural instinct, this book teaches that children will get what they need nutritionally, but makes clear where a parent must establish rules and take charge.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,940,939 books! | Top bar: Always visible