Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

The Man of the Forest by Zane Grey

The Man of the Forest (1919)

by Zane Grey

The author, like this reader, belongs to the first half of the 20th century. I was raised on Zane Grey and Egar Rice Burroughs. Today's literary critic will say the book is "overwritten," but I say he paints with a rich tapestry of adjectival and adverbial colors. Too, he was of an age when people had romance, dreamt of love, and didn't just walk up and say "let's fuck." Frankly, this book was so thorughly enjoyed by me that I am grateful I am soon shuffling off this mortal coil. It has become too ranuchy for me. In the so-called "wild west" people actually were more polite and civil to each other than anywhere in our urbanized society of today. I would love to see the law allow everyone to wear their pistol openly. Watch road rage and basic disrepect wind down fast. If you believe in a slower, more sustaining relationship and the power of emotional love, this writer and this book especially is for you. ( )
  andyray | Jul 27, 2011 |
At sunset hour the forest was still, lonely, sweet with tang of fir and spruce, blazing in gold and red and green; and the man who glided on under the great trees seemed to blend with the colours and, disappearing, to have become a part of the wild woodland.

Accidentally overhearing a plot to kidnap the niece of a prominent rancher as she arrives from the East, Milt Dale springs into action. He comes out of his splendid isolation to protect Helen and her kid sister, Bo. Leading them away from manmade danger, exposing them to unaccustomed rigor on mountain trails, Dale imparts his rugged philosophy. Beyond the forest, Beasley and Snake Anson are still waiting to carry out their evil plot.

The Man of the Forest is one of Zane Grey’s most celebrated nature novels. In a foreword to this authorized edition, his son, Loren Grey, notes that when the book was first published in 1920, “it was said that probably more Americans learned about Darwin’s views from Zane Grey than from all the college textbooks printed about the subject.”

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:44 -0400)

Milt Dale is the Man of the Forest. Living alone in a camp in the wilderness he calls Paradise Park, he prefers the company of bears, cougars, and wolves to that of the surrounding ranchers and troublemakers. But one day he overhears a conversation that changes his life and convinces him to leave his wild paradise to save a young woman from certain doom.… (more)

Tantor Media

2 editions of this book were published by Tantor Media.

Editions: 1400100399, 1400109426

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,479,200 books! | Top bar: Always visible