Smash Trash! by Walt Disney Productions

This easy reader looks to the success of Disney and Pixar to choose an engaging character, Wall-E. This book is a level one in the Step into Reading program, and fittingly strives to use simple sentence structures to introduce simple grammar structures. Examples like ‘Trash here. Trash there,’ or ‘Smash! Smash trash. Stack trash,’ provide repetition and rhythm that iterate these structures. However, although the writing style was kept simple, having Wall-E as the titular character seemed to give cause to introduce words that seemed out of place for the skill level of the intended reader. At one point, “Wall-E cubes up,” which doesn’t seem to fit the flow of the narrative or the point of the book as a whole; at another point, the story introduces the word ‘treads’. Despite the shortcomings, having Wall-E as a character may act as a bridge between the movie and text to encourage reluctant readers, and provides an opportunity to engage via reading the story in Wall-E’s distinctive voice. Also, Wall-E is a nice gender-neutral character that equally could entertain boys and girls and perhaps even jumpstart an interest in science. Recommended additional purchase. ( )
  kornelas1 | Oct 22, 2014 |
This is a great book for the early reader who loves the movie Wall-E. The pictures are fun and the words are simple enough to make this a great 1st book.
  polochick | Jan 17, 2014 |
People are going to think it's crazy, but I loved this book. It was a ton of fun to read aloud (I read it to my boyfriend in the middle of a Barnes and Noble). It had so much repetition and rhyming that I think it would amuse kids. It's for students just learning to read, so the fact that it's fun to read aloud makes it perfect. I also really love the character Wall E because he's so cute. I'd use this definitely in the classroom as a book to help kids read, I'd have them read it to each other since it is, once again, so fun to say the words. ( )
  roseannes | Jun 6, 2010 |
I love that I am able to read almost all by myself this story: pretty cool! ( )
  Mikelodeon | Jun 4, 2010 |

IT IS THE 29th Century and the Earth has been abandoned, but one robot has been left behind to collect and condense trash—WALL•E. This Step 1 book, introduces early readers to WALL•E, Disney•Pixar’s newest animated film coming to theaters in summer 2008.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:29 -0400)

As his pet cockroach keeps him company, Wally the robot shovels and scoops trash into his compacter every day, creating compacted trash blocks, and finding "goodies" to collect .

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,409,684 books! | Top bar: Always visible