Gnomologia: A Collection of the Proverbs,…

Gnomologia: A Collection of the Proverbs, Maxims and Adages That Inspired… (1732)

by Thomas Fuller

131723,089 (4)None

This book contains selections from the original Gnomologia, compiled by Thomas Fuller, M.D., and published in London in 1732. The Library of Congress' acquisition of the book in 2005 solved the search for source(s) for the adages and homespun maxims that peppered Franklin's speech, identified him as an ideal conversationalist of his time, and made him a prized and frequent dinner guest.

The word gnomologia is rooted in a Greek word meaning "to know." Initially the volume was painstakingly organized alphabetically by Dr. Fuller for self use. Benjamin Franklin used the result of Fuller's work to begin an organized record of these "neglected fragments of wisdom" when he published Poor Richard's Almanac.

This edition contains an easy-to-use index which qualifiies it as an excellent reference for the 21st century. This new printing should ensure wise words carry on for generations to come and continue to link the oral and written traditions of knowledge "gathered in one age and distilled through many others." The fact that this small volume is still available remains a testament to the value of the words Franklin made sure were recorded for posterity. ( )
  greytone | Dec 5, 2008 |
With grateful acknowledgement to The Library Company of Philadelphia -- Benjamin Franklin, Founder
To the Reader (1732)
All of us forget more than we remember, and therefore it hath been my constant Custom to note down and record whatever I thought of my self, or receiv'd from Men, or Books worth preserving.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,228,297 books! | Top bar: Always visible