The Glister: A Novel by John Burnside

Title:The Glister: A Novel
Authors:John Burnside
Info:Nan A. Talese (no date), Hardcover, 240 pages

The Glister by John Burnside

English (28)  German (1)  All languages (29)
The Glister promises a great deal, but in the end it has little more to offer than that cheap trick of the modern "literary" novel: writing the last chapter in obfuscating prose to mask the fact that as an author you never had an end-game in mind.

Burnside's Innertown's post-industrial decay and dispirited inhabitants aren't too far off from reality, and the mystery of the missing children, the cover-up and the desperation add an urgency to the story. The whole novel suffers from overwriting, but that's something I'll always forgive - especially if the effect is as pleasing as The Glister was - if the author can back up their fluff with something substantial.

Leonard, the teenage boy who we're led to believe is our protagonist, seems to be on the right track to figuring out the problem that is Innertown, or at the very least escaping it, until his journey fizzles. He doesn't learn anything. His character starts as being worldly wise and ambivalent and the novel leaves him that way. Am I naive to have wanted more? Am I hopelessly stuck with some modernist expectation for a novel to achieve something? Should I just shrug The Glister off because even if it didn't amount to anything, at least it sounded good while it lasted? Maybe there's something to that, but if I'm going to redefine my expectations of what a novel should be, its going to be something damn better than this. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |
This is a book where beautiful writing overshadowed a confusing ending. That pulled this one into the like category for me. ( )
  reginaplove | Sep 9, 2018 |
I'm stunned by how low the average rating us for this book! I absolutely fell in love with Burnside's way with words and devoured this book in a day. The "abstract" edge to the plot leaves room for great discussion. ( )
1 vote PagesandPints | Sep 1, 2016 |
bookshelves: published-2008, one-penny-wonder, hardback, autumn-2013, lit-richer, bullies, boo-scary, plague-disease, tbr-busting-2013
Read from September 18 to October 22, 2013

Perth.

Opening: Where I am now, I can hear the gulls.

Probably one of the most terrifying books I have ever read and no doubt The Moth Man will puzzle me to the end of time but oh, how I would have loved a decent ending - a full star drop right there.

Would recommend to no-one.

3.5* Glister
4* A Summer of Drowning
4* The Devil's Footprints ( )
  mimal | Jan 1, 2014 |
Darkly Scottish and full of adolescent angst, adult angst, and murderous angst. Great tone and characterizations. ( )
1 vote willmurdoch | Nov 5, 2011 |
"Hist, then. How dost thou know that some entire, living, thinking thing may not be invisibly and uninterpenetratingly standing precisely where thou now standest; aye, and standing there in thy spite? In thy most solitary hours, then, dost thou not fear eavesdroppers?" --Herman Melville, Moby-Dick, or, The Whale
"Buoyed up by that coffin, for almost one whole day and night, I floated on a soft and dirge-like main. The unharming sharks, they glided by as if with padlocks on their mouths; the savage sea-hawks sailed with sheathed beaks. On the second day, a sail drew near, nearer, and picked me up at last. It was the devious-cruising Rachel, that in her retracing search after he missing children, only found another orphan." --Herman Melville, Moby-Dick, or, The Whale
In the beginning, John Morrison is working in his garden.

The children of Innertown exist in a state of suspended terror. Every year or so, a boy from their school disappears, vanishing into the wasteland of the old chemical plant. Nobody knows where these boys go, or whether they are alive or dead, and without evidence the authorities claim they are simply runaways.

The town policeman, Morrison knows otherwise. He was involved in the cover-up of one boy's murder, and he believes all the boys have been killed. Though he is seriously compromised, he would still like to find out the killer's identity.

The local children also want to know and, in their fear and frustration, they turn on Rivers, a sad fantasist and suspected paedophile living alone at the edge of the wasteland. Trapped and frightened, one of the boys, Leonard, tries to escape, taking refuge in the poisoned ruins of the old plant; there he finds another boy, who might be the missing Liam and might be a figment of his imagination. With his help, Leonard comes to understand the policeman's involvement, and exacts the necessary revenge - before following Liam into the Glister: possibly a disused chemical weapons facility, possibly a passage to the outer world.

A terrifying exploration of loss and the violence that pools under the surface of the everyday, Glister is an exquisitely written, darkly imagined novel by one of our greatest contemporary writers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0385527640, Hardcover)

Amazon Best of the Month, March 2009: George Lister's secretive chemical plant fueled Innertown's economy for decades, but since its closure, its legacies are poverty, clusters of rare cancers, and a local wilderness populated with rumors of an unnatural selection of misshapen wildlife. When Mark Wilkinson--the first of several teen-aged boys to disappear every 12-18 in the coming years--is found hanged in the "poison woods" over a bizarre shrine of boughs, glass, and tinsel, the town constable chooses to cover up the atrocity (to the pleasure of Innertown's corrupt string-pullers), leaving the town's long-abandoned youth to take responsibility themselves. The Glister is a strange and affecting book, working as both simmering horror and a Dennis Lehane-style thriller: think The Blair Witch Project meets Mystic River meets It. Burnside's deliberate prose strikes a pitch-perfect balance between the insidious banalities of industrial society and the unacknowledged horrors lurking in the varicose network of cracks in its crumbling foundations, the spaces where institutionalized cowardice and naïve accountability meet to settle the fates of a damaged society's innocents. It's a story that will stay with you long after its last harrowing pages. --Jon Foro

Amazon Exclusive: Jim Crace Reviews The Glister

Jim Crace is the author of nine novels, including Being Dead, which was shortlisted for the Whitbread Prize and won the prestigious National Book Critics Circle Award for Fiction in 2000. In 1997, Quarantine was named the Whitbread Novel of the Year and was shortlisted for the Booker Prize. Crace has also received the Whitbread First Novel Award, the E.M. Foster Award, and the Guardian Award. Here he reviews John Burnside’s The Glister for Amazon:

I lent my copy of John Burnside’s The Glister to a friend the moment I finished it. I wanted her to share the novel’s troubled beauty and its bleak but tender outlook on the urban predicament, the state of the nation, the human condition--well, pretty much everything. “It’s a triple murder mystery,” I explained. “Teenage boys are being wiped out. So is the landscape where they live.” In my view, The Glister was not only a thrilling and engaging read but an unusually multi-layered and nuanced work of startling transcendence and importance. No one could think otherwise. Everyone should try it.

She said she was puzzled by the last scene, yet only a few weeks later she was recommending The Glister to her reading group and naming it her Novel of the Year. “So, you read it again?” I asked. But no, she hadn’t needed to encounter it a second time. As soon as she had finished its final page, a little baffled by its meaning, the story had started haunting her. It brewed in her subconscious as all great fiction does until, level by level, the book’s unnerving ambiguities began to clarify themselves, she was getting it. “It’s a sleeper,” she said, mixing her metaphors. “It creeps up on you.”

My experience of The Glister has been much the same. It is a novel with an afterlife. It continues to steep in my imagination one year after reading it and to imprint its indelible images on to my comprehension of the modern world. I now cannot help but recognize Burnside’s devastated, weed-choked Innertown in almost every industrial city that I visit on both sides of the Atlantic. And I better understand the dangerous boredom of those adolescent gangs on street corners throughout the world, their brutal, plucky hopelessness. But most importantly the novel has taught me that if we want to find an optimistic narrative to help us cope with our failing cities, their increasingly toxic landscapes and their splintered families, we have to hunt for it, as Burnside has, in the darkest corners and in the most menacing of company and not deceive ourselves with bright, narcotic fairytales.

Quite what the glister of the title is, I cannot say for sure. The novel doesn’t want to tell me exactly. It wants me to be teased. But I’m still brewing on the question, I’m still haunted by the book. There is no greater praise than that. --Jim Crace

(Photo © Lorentz Gullachsen)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:27 -0400)

Ever since George Lister's chemical plant shut down, the neighboring woods have become the home to strange, sickly plants, and when a young boy named Leonard and his friends realize that boys from their school are vanishing after venturing into the poisoned woods, they alone are willing to confront the forces of evil that are destroying their once-happy town.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,564,982 books! | Top bar: Always visible