The Burning Land by Bernard Cornwell

The Burning Land (2009)

by Bernard Cornwell

Recently added byRockLyons, private library, OHBibliophile, Tricialenht

English (24)  Swedish (1)  All (25)
I had not read a book in this series in a few years, and I now regret waiting so long. I was sucked right back into the world and actions of Uthred and enjoyed this story very much. Cornwall's ability to mix history with fun adventure and exciting (if not unrealistic) characters is outstanding. Looking forward to the next one. ( )
  msaucier818 | Apr 9, 2018 |
(1) The 5th book in the tale of Alfred the Great's quest for a united England under Christian rule. Uhtred is still his man, living in Lundene with his wife and children happily for the past 5 years - yet the Danish threat is growing again. His old frenemy Haestard is amassing and Alfred is growing sick and weak at the end of his life. This one takes some twists and turns and Uhtred's loyalty is tested.

More of the same yet entertaining nonetheless. I did not buy into Uhtred's changes of heart so much. It seems he holds his brother Ragnar rather cheaply considering he rescued him from slavery. I am almost (but not quite) skimming some of the shield wall battle scenes as they are practically verbatim from book to book. Thus it is hard to give a higher rating based on literary merit alone. That being said, reading the series and watching the Netflix series 'the Last Kingdom' at the same time is enchanting and transporting. I am hooked! ( )
  jhowell | Jan 3, 2018 |
Enjoyed this installment of Uhtred as much as any others. Maybe even a little more on account of some good evil characters! ( )
  Mrdrewk | Aug 18, 2016 |
Uhtread of Bamburgh continues to do good things against his bitter judgement. The series has a good period flavour, and is on a par with his Richard Sharpe works. we are involved with the education of one of king Alfred's few bastard children, and the attendant military business is well described. ( )
  DinadansFriend | Mar 15, 2016 |
I'm enjoying this book more than I thought I would. I really like the good sportsmanship and common sense of the main character, Uhtred. He and the author have a different perspective than I do, though: several pages about a battle and only one paragraph about sex? Seriously? ( )
  leoht13 | Feb 25, 2016 |
Bernard Cornwell is one of the kings of historical fiction — his Richard Sharpe novels, about a British soldier in the Napoleonic wars, and Grail Quest series have captivated audiences in the United Kingdom and United States. His new book, The Burning Land — the latest in his series The Saxon Tales — is currently on the bestseller list. NPR's Neal Conan talks with Cornwell about the ninth century, writing historical literature and the new PBS series based on his Sharpe novels.
added by bongiovi | editNPR (Jan 28, 2010)

Historical novels stand or fall on detail, and Mr. Cornwell writes as if he has been to ninth-century Wessex and back. He gives a graphic sense of what it's like to stand in a defensive shield-wall and how you go about breaking one. Each of his battles poses different tactical questions and gets imaginatively different answers. His accounts of fire and slaughter, and of Viking methods of extorting money, would seem gruesomely exaggerated if they weren't so often based on old legends or confirmed by archaeology.

The Burning Land is for Alan and Jan Rust
Not long ago I was in some monastery.

The Danes of East Anglia and the Vikings of Northumbria are plotting the conquest of all Britain. When King Alfred's daughter pleads with Uhtred for help, he cannot refuse her request. In a desperate gamble, he takes command of a demoralized Mercian army, leading them in an unforgettable battle on a blood-soaked field beside the Thames.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,505,275 books! | Top bar: Always visible