All the Colours of Darkness by Peter…

All the Colours of Darkness (2008)

by Peter Robinson

Series: Inspector Banks (18)

In a Dry Season by Peter Robinson (mikedraper, ehines)
    mikedraper: This novel is also by Peter Robinson, considered to be one of his best. It also is a multi layered story featuring Inspector Banks.
    ehines: Definitely Robinson's best, because of the varied plot- and time-lines give him a much greater field to play in.

English (34)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  All (36)
Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot gets a case in which a man is found hanging from a tree. There are no signs of a struggle and by all appearances, it is suicide. When she learns that his name is Mark Hardcastle and he directs plays at a local theatre, she pays a visit and learns that Hardcastle has a boyfriend, Laurence Silbert. Silbert is the next stop on her quest for information and when no one answers the doorbell, Annie becomes skeptical. She breaks in and calls Silbert’s name. When still no answer, she and Winsome Jackman begin a search and find Silbert’s beaten body. At this point, Annie’s boss, Detective Superintendent Gervaise, suggests they call Detective Chief Inspector Banks home from his holiday.

Of course, what for all intents and purposes begins to look like a jealous lover’s murder/suicide, to Banks’ imaginative mind there are sinister doings. I won’t spoil the intrigue by describing these sinister doings, though.

I picked up All the Colours of Darkness, written in 2008, at Warwick’s Albert Wisner Public Library’s Friends bookstore and although it’s signed and normally I’d keep it, I think I’m going to re-donate it and let someone else get some reading pleasure. As always, Robinson’s DCI Banks books are great reading. In this particular book he does not deal with a cold case alongside a current one, which he has in many previous books.

There is intrigue, suspense, espionage, action. Of course, there’s Banks’ extensive and variable taste in music, some of which I want to write down. (Has anyone compiled a list of his music, similar to Michael Connelly’s Bosch CD?…actually there is, so click here.)

Other reviews here include: When the Music’s Over, In the Dark Places, Children of the Revolution, and Before the Poison.

I just received my copy of Robinson’s latest book, Sleeping in the Ground, which I can’t wait to read. It will be great vacation reading. ( )
  EdGoldberg | Nov 28, 2017 |
Book Description
New York Times bestselling and Edgar Award-winning author Peter Robinson delivers a gripping novel of jealousy, betrayal, envy, ambition, greed, lust, revengeâall the colors of darkness that lead inevitably to murder.

In a world of terror and uncertainty, what does one small death matter?

The body hanging from a tree in a peaceful wood appears to Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot to be a suicide. But further investigation into the sad demise of Mark Hardcastle leads to another corpse, brutally bludgeoned to death.

Suddenly the case demands the attention of Chief Inspector Alan Banks, called back from his vacation even though nothing suggests this wasn't a crime of passion followed by remorse and self-destruction. Shocking revelations broaden the inquiry to unexpected places and seats of power. And a stubborn policeman who will not be frightened away could lose everything in one terrifying, explosive instant.

In this masterful novel of psychological suspense, Peter Robinson delves once again into the dark recesses of the human mind and shows what can happen when evil rests there.

My Review
I listened to this book on audio and the reader did an fantastic job. It held my attention all the way through which is not the case with some audios. I found the characters to be well developed especially Inspector Banks and Annie Cabbot. The excellent plot had lots of twists and turns with a bit of venture into spying with the MI6. The book was very well written and I loved his musical and literary references. This book mainly dealt with Shakespeare's Othello's themes. I look forward to the next book in the series and highly recommend this series to those who love police procedurals. ( )
  EadieB | Oct 23, 2017 |
I love this series and I did enjoy this book, but I wasn't happy with the ending. There was no real resolution to the mystery, and Banks does not get to put this one in his solved file. The body of a man is found hanging in the woods, and his partner is found battered to death in his home, All the powers that be say it's a simple murder-suicide, but Banks isn't convinced. So ignoring his boss's request to let it end, he goes off on his own to try to figure out what actually happened and why. He finds himself at loggerheads with other high level agencies as they try to keep a lid on their many secrets. At much personal risk to himself and to his friends and acquaintances, Banks continues his off-the-books investigation. But the other agencies end up wininng in the end, and all is swept under the rug. Even though it was a murder-suicide, the reasons behind it and the reasons for the intrusions into Banks life and into his friends are neve revealed - not even to the reader. I am looking forward to reading the next book in the series to see where Banks goes with the knowledge he has discovered, and maybe get some closure to this book which seemed unfinished to me. ( )
  Romonko | Jul 25, 2017 |
[All The Colors of Darkness] by Peter Robinson
Alan Banks series Book #18
4 ★'s

From The Book:
In a world of terror and uncertainty, what does one small death matter?

The body hanging from a tree in a peaceful wood appears to Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot to be a suicide. Further investigation into the sad demise of Mark Hardcastle, the set designer for the local amateur theater company, leads to the corpse of Mark's older, wealthier lover, brutally bludgeoned to death.

Suddenly the case demands the attention of Chief Inspector Alan Banks, called back from his vacation even though nothing suggests this wasn't a crime of passion followed by remorse and self-destruction. But machinations within the shadow world of secret government only add to the colors of darkness already shading this troubling affair. And a stubborn policeman who will not be frightened away could lose everything in one terrifying, explosive instant.

My Thoughts:
This book draws on elements of espionage and Cold War treachery, yet it is another solid installment in the Inspector Alan Banks series.

Boys playing in the woods find a body hanging from one of the trees. Alan Banks is away with playing house with his much younger girl friend, Sophie... so Annie Cabot is own her own until she is ordered to call Banks and bring him back. It looks like a domestic quarrel where one partner bludgeoned the other and then hanged himself in grief so Annie thinks she hardly needed assistance with this case. Banks returns and all of a sudden no one wants the case investigated...they want it closed. Of course that raises red flags to Alan and Annie who continue to investigate on their own.

There are many subplots to the main story and investigation, so at times, the whole thing becomes confusing...and in the end it still leaves you wondering if any of the motives for the murder were ever really believable. There are personal developments with our main detective that fans of the series will want to see but I have to say I've read better Alan Banks novels. ( )
  Carol420 | Dec 14, 2016 |
A man is found hanged in a local forest; when his male lover is discovered beaten to death at their home, the natural conclusion is that of a murder-suicide. But DI Annie Cabbot and DCI Alan Banks are not convinced, particularly when they learn that the murder victim had worked as a spy for decades and even more so when Banks is visited by a menacing civil servant who warns him off the case…. "All the Colours of Darkness" is the 18th Inspector Banks novel; by now, readers of Peter Robinson’s series expect complicated and absorbing plots in addition to fine characterizations and relationships, and they will not be disappointed in this entry. I especially liked the skilled way in which Robinson weaves the shadowy world of spycraft with the perhaps equally shadowy world of amateur theatre; there are more parallels than one might think. Highly recommended, but read the whole series in order! ( )
  thefirstalicat | Nov 23, 2016 |

Peter Robinsonprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gudmundsen, Per KristianTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Janssen, ValérieTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
prebble, simonNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For when my outward action doth demonstrate

The native act and figure of my heart

In complement extern, 'tis not long after

But I will wear my heart upon my sleeve

For daws to peck at; I am not what I am.

—William Shakespeare, Othello
The poison is working!

—Puccini, Tosca
To Dad and Averil

Although the world is full of suffering,

it is also full of the overcoming of it.

—Helen Keller
Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot thought it was a great shame that she had to spend one of the most beautiful days of the year so far at a crime scene, especially a hanging.
"What about it?" Banks asked, filling his own glass and sitting beside her.

Sophia turned to face him. "Well, what do you think it's about?"

"Othello? Oh, jealousy, betrayal, envy, ambition, greed, lust, revenge. The usual stuff of Shakespearean tragedies. All the colours of darkness."

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 006136293X, Hardcover)

Detectives Alan Banks and Annie Cabbot return in another electrifying novel from the acclaimed award-winning author of the New York Times bestseller Friend of the Devil

When the body of a man is discovered hanging from a tree in the woods near Eastvale, all signs point toward suicide. At least that's what it initially looks like to Detective Inspector Annie Cabbot.

The man is soon identified as Mark Hardcastle, the set and costume designer for the local amateur theater company. Mark was successful and well liked in the community, but enough remains mysterious about his background that suicide isn't completely out of the question. But when Mark's older and wealthier lover is discovered bludgeoned to death in his home, Annie begins to think differently. Could it have been a crime of passion, or did overwhelming grief lead to a man taking his own life? Increasingly confounded, she calls in the vacationing Chief Inspector Alan Banks—even if it means prying him away from his new girlfriend.

Once on the investigation, Banks finds himself plunged into a case where nothing is as it seems. More and more his own words about the victim's latest production, Othello, are coming back to haunt him, for "jealousy, betrayal, envy, ambition, greed, lust, revenge—all the colors of darkness" are quickly becoming his world as well.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:58 -0400)

When the body of a man is discovered hanging from a tree in the woods near Eastvale, all signs point toward suicide. Inspector Banks finds himself plunged into a case where nothing is as it seems.

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,293,260 books! | Top bar: Always visible