The Gladiator by Simon Scarrow

The Gladiator (original 2009; edition 2009)

by Simon Scarrow

Member:jmulick
Title:The Gladiator
Authors:Simon Scarrow
Info:Headline Book Publishing (2009), Paperback, 512 pages
Collections:Your library, Read
Tags:Ancient Rome, Crete, Marines, Grain, slave rebellion, historical fiction

The Gladiator by Simon Scarrow (2009)

This is not a book I would normally choose to read but I was glad I did.
Its the story of Marco and Cato they with a boat load of other Romans get shipwrecked in Crete after an earthquake.

The slaves are rebelling chaos reigns and its up to them to sort out the mess. A slave called Ajax is leading the revolt. Marco and Cato have crossed paths with Ajax before and it was them that executed his father. Ajax wants blood and wants to kill his old adversaries.

Marco and Juila (Catos girfriend are held hostage) Cato has to go to Egypt to enlist reinforcements.

A large battle commences Julia and Marco are rescued, Marco joins in the fighting. Ajax escapes he will be hunted down in the next book though.. Good read this was quite interesting and I could imagine what it was like 2000 years ago. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Jul 8, 2013 |
Another enjoyable and fun read about our two heroes as they battle Rome's enemies. This time it is slaves, slaves who use the opportunity provided by a destructive earthquake on the island of Crete to revolt against their masters, and attempt to free themselves. With a little help from the governor of Egypt and some daring do, Cato crushes the rebels, saves his girl, and his friend, but is then despatched to chase down the slave leader, following him across the Mediterranean. An Odysseus like conclusion.

To the same quality as the previous books in the series. I will admit the tension about the fate two centurions (though Cata is appointed a prefect by the end of this novel), is hard to find. It is obvious that if any two people survive a disaster it will be these two. They have survived so much thus far. ( )
  Traveller1 | Mar 30, 2013 |
One of the best in Scarrow's series about Cato and Macro, two Roman legionaries, to date. I've been reading them more or less in order, and the last few, though entertaining enough, have felt a bit formulaic. Gladiator though is a return to the form of the early books in the series. The plot is well constructed, a cut above the usual Roman military tourism. Central to the plot is a slave revolt in Crete, and Scarrow succeeds in portraying the perspective of both the rebel slaves and the Roman soldiers. Yes, much like C.S. Forrester's Hornblower series, or Bernard Cornwell's Sharpe novels, this is about characters who mysteriously play a central role in just about every campaign of the wars they live through; yes, there are quite a few battle scenes; yes, they're not great literature. But, like Hornblower and Sharpe, they're engagingly written, with a good eye for historical detail. ( )
  YossarianXeno | Jan 25, 2012 |
this book takes two steps back from the previous series....predictable and no insight into life in Crete. I found that were it not for Macro and Cato I would be cheering for the rebels to win. Ajax had more sympathy capital than anyone in that story. A fast read and a waste of time doing it in my opinion. ( )
  Lynxear | Jan 21, 2012 |
After success in the last book, and as this is a series, we do expect success by the end of the novel, it is time to make our way home to Rome and for the heroes to get their rewards. Macro and Cato have been stepping up and giving great needed service to Rome, and Claudius and they deserve accolades.

Instead an earthquake and tidal wave beset them as they are near Crete. It throws the Island into turmoil, seriously hammering the infrastructure and forcing our two Centurions to step up once more.

We see the continuing evolution of Cato as a leader and we also see that Macro, once the Master, now becoming the lieutenant. Something that we knew from book one was a possibility and long overdue.

What comes as an unexpected and pleasant addition is that we have an enemy who we had left behind long ago, emerge. One that gives us plausible cause to believe he is not only present at the recovering Crete, but his actions will and do impact the story.

In all, a very good book and nice to see Cato finally on his path instead of treading water. A definite reread when we have the entire series finished. ( )
  DWWilkin | Nov 29, 2011 |

Simon Scarrowprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wahlund, TorstenTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Wennerberg, IngmarNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

The action-packed new novel featuring Roman army officers Macro and Cato from Sunday Times bestselling author Simon Scarrow While centurions Macro and Cato are returning to Rome from a harrowing campaign against the Parthians, their transport ship is almost capsized by a tidal wave. They barely make it to the port of Matala in Crete where they are stunned to find a devastated town. An earthquake has struck the island, destroying its cities and killing thousands. In the chaotic aftermath, large bands of the island's slaves begin to revolt and local bandits, taking advantage of the slave rebellion, urge the Cretans to overthrow the Roman administration. With many of the island's troops either killed or wounded during the earthquake, the governor of the province calls on Macro and Cato for help. Can they move swiftly enough to counter the rebellion before it sweeps the Romans from the island?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:35:44 -0400)

The action-packed new novel featuring Roman army officers Macro and Cato from Sunday Times bestselling author Simon ScarrowWhile centurions Macro and Cato are returning to Rome from a harrowing campaign against the Parthians, their transport ship is almost capsized by a tidal wave. They barely make it to the port of Matala in Crete where they are stunned to find a devastated town. An earthquake has struck the island, destroying its cities and killing thousands. In the chaotic aftermath, large bands of the island's slaves begin to revolt and local bandits, taking advantage of the slave rebellion, urge the Cretans to overthrow the Roman administration. With many of the island's troops either killed or wounded during the earthquake, the governor of the province calls on Macro and Cato for help. Can they move swiftly enough to counter the rebellion before it sweeps the Romans from the island?… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,982,413 books! | Top bar: Always visible