Open by Lisa Moore

Open

by Lisa Moore

Reading this book was frustrating because I experienced brief moments of intense interest that were spaced by long moments of not having any idea where the story was going. This approach will sometimes work for in a novel, but most of these short stories just weren't worth my time to pay attention to them. I don't think that I'll read this author again. ( )
  bsiemens | Jun 17, 2012 |
Lisa Moore's writing style, at least in this collection, is not for me. It is extremely "stream of conscious," and therefore is very often disjointed and confusing. At the same time, there were moments that were extraordinarily vivid and emotionally present. This collection of stories focuses around women living in or having some connection with the city of St. John's in Canada. Often they are struggling in their relationships with others as well as with themselves.

Stories in this volume: Melody; Mouths, Open; The Way the Light Is; Craving; Natural Parents; Close Your Eyes; Azalea; If You're There; The Stylist; Grace.

Experiments in Reading ( )
1 vote PhoenixTerran | Aug 8, 2007 |
With the increasing abundance of information available on the Internet, the way we learn new things is changing in many ways. The author discusses many aspects of this revolution and how it affects business, schools and individuals. He discusses the conglomeration of information available in what he calls the Global Learning Commons, the acronyms SOFT (sharing, open, free and trust) and MOOC (Massive Open Online Courses) and other concepts. We find out about the shift from learning being delivered by a teacher to a more self controlled approach. The days of learning facts and following a static curriculum are numbered. According to the author, businesses and educational institutions are lagging in this transformation but there are gradual inroads being made. I found the book informative, although I was already aware of many of the concepts because the open learning environment is becoming more apparent everyday. The book is written from a British perspective and I would prefer more US examples, but the concepts are true worldwide.

I received a free copy of the book from librarything.com.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 088784684X, Paperback)

The only certainty in life, according to these stories, comes from the accumulation of moments that refuse to be contained. The stories in Open cover these moments, familiar territory in the hands of most writers, in unfamiliar ways. The interconnectedness of a bus ride in Nepal and a wedding on the shore of Quidi Vidi Lake; the tension between a husband and wife when their infant cries before dawn (who will go to him?) and the husband's wrenching memory of an early love affair; two friends, one who suffers early in life and the other midway through - these are some of the subjects Lisa Moore treats with her incomparable style. Drawing on vivid landscapes both interior and exterior, Moore splices together the sudden shocks and subtle realizations that enter her characters' lives, using the piercing imagery and soulful technique that have won her acclaim from critics and her many fans.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:43 -0400)

Lisa Moore's Open makes you believe three things unequivocally: that St. John's is the centre of the universe, that these stories are about absolutely everything, that the only certainty in life comes from the accumulation of moments which refuse to be contained. Love, mistakes, loss -- the fear of all of these, the joy of all of these. The interconnectedness of a bus ride in Nepal and a wedding on the shore of Quidi Vidi Lake; of the tension between a husband and wife when their infant cries before dawn (who will go to him?) and the husband's memory of an early, piercing love affair; of two friends, one who suffers early in life and the other midway through. In Open, Lisa Moore splices moments and images together so adroitly, so vividly, you'll swear you've lived them yourself. That there is a writer like Lisa Moore threading a live wire through everything she sees, showing it to us, warming us with it. These stories are a gathering in. An offering. They ache and bristle. They are shared riches. Open.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,453,118 books! | Top bar: Always visible