The Redeeming by Jennifer Ashley

The Redeeming

by Jennifer Ashley

Samantha is half demon and half human; her father was demon and her mother human. Most of her life she despised her father for what she thought he did to her mother. However lately she see's more of him, and her heart softens toward him. About a year ago, she helped save Tain from being in captivity by a powerful demon for over 700 years. Tain still suffers affects from being imprisoned for over 700 years being a captive and being tortured. Its been a year, and Samantha still thinks about Tain, she is a cop for the Paranormal Police. When she is trying to undermine a drug problem that is surfacing among demon clubs, she comes face to face with Tain who has re-entered her life. Even though Tain has feelings of hatred and disgust with the past demon who captured him, he feels drawn toward this courageous young woman, who is half demon. He feels the need to protect her, even though he has destroyed many demons. Now being in Samantha's life, he wants to protect the demon world more for her sake. As the plot thickens with intigue and danger, so does the sensual connection between them. Samantha has always felt drawn toward Tain, he seems to understand her more than anyone else has ever done. As she finds herself falling in love with the powerful Immortal, there are things she must decide about her own future that will change her very lifestyle forever.

I really enjoyed reading Tain and Samantha's story, it was a very compelling read. This is the second one that I have read in the series, and yes I am reading them out of order. Which you will find is what I do!!! I wondered when I first started reading this one, how Tain and Samantha's romantic relationship would progress. Tain has suffered greatly from being tortured for 700 years, and this story takes place a year after he is freed by his brothers, their wives and Samantha. Samantha was raised by her mother, never having known her father until this book. Which I enjoyed that aspect of this book, that there was a lot more in it than just Tain and Samantha's story. In the last book, Samantha has much disgust and hatred for her father. However once she learns the real truth her perspective changes quite a bit. Also on the other side of that, you see Tain interact with his brothers quite a bit which was very enjoyable. Overall I really enjoyed this book, it was filled with everything that a paranormal romance reader loves. It was well written, has deep characters and a plot filled with romance, adventure, creatures of the paranormal world and a mystery that will unravel and perhaps even surprise you! ( )
  addictofromance | Mar 2, 2013 |
Tain, an immortal warrior, was captured by a demon, an Old One for 700 years. His brothers and their girlfriends managed to save him, but he's still not back to normal. Samantha is half-demon and also a cop. She was instrumental in Tain's rescue, but isn't sure she wants any more to do with him after that. When someone starts kidnapping young demon women and cutting out their hearts, Samantha and Tain are thrown back together to figure out who's doing it.
Jennifer Ashley delivers another entrancing volume in the Immortals series. The Redeeming has much darker themes than the previous books, which were mostly straight-forwardly about defeating the big bad demon. Here, the question of whether you can be a demon and still be a good guy is explored in more detail. For those of you familiar with the work of Joss Whedon, this book is more like an episode of Angel than Buffy.
One criticism I have is that I've started skipping Ashley's love scenes. The language is just slightly too graphic for me. However, I will still fight to get my hands on any more Immortals books as soon as they're written. ( )
  EmScape | Jul 10, 2009 |
This is book 5 of the Immortal series, which I received from the author Jennifer Ashley . I had found out that I was getting an ARC of book 6 "Immortals:The Crossing" from Joy Nash, but wanted to read book 5 (first one of this set) first. Jennifer was kind enough to send me a copy. She warned me that the book was hot and steamy...and she was right!!

I loved this book! I've always loved anything paranormal, but never read any of these type of books. I'm hooked! The characters of Samantha and Tain are amazing. Both love each other but feel that can't let the other know because of who they each are....so different. This difference though is what makes the chemistry so hot between the two of them. The book takes you in to the world of demons, vampires, werewolves, demigods and humans who all try to coexist together. The storyline describing how each survives living with those they hate is mind boggling. How do we know these people don't really exist in our world? Maybe you live next door to a demon and don't know it?!

"The Redeeming" mixes paranormal and romance together to make a hot, interesting and intrigueing storyline that I can't wait to read more of!! I will now have to find the first four of the series to get caught up on some of the storylines, but I found you will enjoy this book without knowing about the past books. ( )
  Allie64 | Oct 26, 2008 |
Reviewed for queuemyreview.com; book release Sep08

In 2007, there was a four book series called “Immortals” written by three popular authors, Jennifer Ashley, Robin Popp, and Joy Nash. The series was about five brothers, children of a mortal father and different goddesses. Their destiny was to preserve the balance between life magic and death magic, but as the years passed humankind forgot about them and they each went their separate ways. I enjoyed reading the series, but was always bothered that the last brother, Tain, didn’t really get a happy ending. He got rescued from the ancient demon torturing him, but he didn’t get a woman for himself like his brothers. I don’t know who and I don’t know why, but I DO know that I’m glad to see the series picked up again. “Immortals: The Redeeming” by Jennifer Ashley is the first book of the series continuation and FINALLY, Tain gets his happy ever after.

Tain was held captive and tortured, mentally, physically, and sexually, for 700 years by a demon. It’s been almost a year and a half since he and his brothers won his freedom. He’s spent that time trying to heal, but he lives in fear that the darkness he was inundated with for so long, and still occasionally suffers from, will overtake him. If that happens, it will be a very, very bad thing. Not just for Tain, but for everyone on Earth…because what Tain never told anyone else is that those years of torture also made him more powerful than the rest of his brothers put together! Tain also never let on that far from being ‘rescued’, it was contact with the half-demon Samantha that brought him back to himself and gave him the push to help save himself. But do his constant thoughts and dreams of Samantha mean he loves her? Or do they mean he’s being drawn to her because of her demon side?

Samantha has always lived as a human. She has struggled her whole life to tamp down any demon-like urges. She worked hard and finally won a place in the paranormal division of the LAPD. Her job is to stop crimes, whether against human, demon, vampire, or anything else. It’s all she ever wanted to do. Well, almost all. She’d also really like to ‘do’ Tain. After she was injured helping in the fight to win his freedom, he’d healed her, flirted with her, and then turned around and walked away. She hasn’t seen him since, except in her dreams. Until one night, in a vampire bar…

Jennifer Ashley can write a heck of a novel. Her ability to draw the reader in and breathe life into her characters is just one of the reasons I never pass up one of her books. Her novels never drag, and her characters don’t have to resort to TSTL (too stupid to live) moments or wildly reaching actions because her plots and pacing flow like fine wine. Her characters don’t talk too much or too little. There’s a little first person and a lot of second person to help the reader understand the whys and wherefores. And let’s not forget the heat. Grab a facecloth…you’re gonna need it. It’s hot, but it’s also moving because it comes from feelings and not just scratching an itch.

“Immortals: The Redeeming” is a darn good read. I expect there will be quite a few folks looking for the first four books in this series once they read Jennifer Ashley’s newest. As for me, I’ve already accepted that I’m hooked all over again. I’m also pleased that the publishers were nice enough to schedule the next two books in this series for publication in September (The Crossing, Joy Nash) and October (The Haunting, Robin Popp) so I don’t have to wait too long for my next fix. I’ll also be ‘haunting’ Ms. Ashley’s webpage at http://www.jennifersromances.com/ to make sure I don’t miss out on her upcoming novels whether they’re under this name or her alternate pen names: Allyson James (sexy paranormals) or Ashley Gardner (historicals).

Til next time
JJ ( )
1 vote jjmachshev | Aug 29, 2008 |
Samantha hated being demon bait.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0505527456, Mass Market Paperback)

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:13 -0400)

For centuries they have walked among us--vampires, shape-shifters, the Celtic Sidhe, demons, and other magical beings. Their battle to reign supreme is constant, but one force holds them in check, a race of powerful warriors known as the IMMORTALS. He is going to take her. And it won't be gentle. After all, the last 700 years of torture and captivity haven't been gentle on Tain. This woman, this half-demon who leaves him burning with desire, is pretty tough herself. She needs to be, for the world is not safe for demon-kind these days. A violent backlash has disrupted the balance of power, and now Tain finds he may have to rescue the dark ones instead of fight them. He feels compelled to protect the alluring Samantha--whether she wants him to or not--but all he can think of is seduction. Ultimately, she'll either destroy him or bring exactly what he needs most...THE REDEEMING.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,287,725 books! | Top bar: Always visible