The January Dancer by Michael Flynn

The January Dancer (2008)

by Michael Flynn

One thing I appreciate in science fiction--and this book has it--is a fully realized background universe. The characters are interesting and the writing above the general level. I liked the idea that though the human race has spread through the galaxy the only sign of aliens is remnants of long extinct civilizations. Gives an idea of how long the universe has been around and how rare life may be. ( )
  JudyGibson | Jul 17, 2016 |
I loved the story. The work was had to read, yet worth it. Nothing is spoon fed to the reader. I agree that it is two stories but I think they are interwoven expectonaly well. This is a spy story set in space, and an epic poem. Spies have multiple lives, poems do not fit a simple narrative form. I think its worth buying. I'm glad my library did. I will read more of this author.
  Cataloger623 | Nov 8, 2014 |
I was put off by the uninteresting characters put in insufficiently compelling situations, even though I had the sense that the galaxy-spanning settings might have been put together well. ( )
  rmagahiz | Dec 21, 2013 |
High 3.5 stars

_The January Dancer_ is a very good space opera…I wish it had tipped over into great. There is a lot going on here to love: a sufficiently deep future history created through the liberal use of allusion that references any number of existing earth cultures (heavily relying on Celtic and cultures from the Indian subcontinent) along with some pretty swell creations of Flynn’s own (the Hounds, ‘those of Name’, the Terran Corners, the Rift, the People of Sand & Iron, etc.) in which the diaspora of humanity has settled across the cosmos, making use of an intriguingly pseudo-scientific explanation for FTL travel; a cast of varied and interesting characters of disparate parts coming together, as though by chance, to solve the mystery of a powerful pre-human artifact; and perhaps most of all the well-crafted prose of Michael Flynn that provides a certain shine to what might have been little more than a bloated pulp epic in weaker hands.

And yet I just didn’t find myself utterly captivated by the story as I hoped I might. Somehow it felt as though I was being held at arm’s length from the narrative and I was unable to fully immerse myself into this world as I have done in Herbert’s [b:Dune|1685995|Dune (Dune Chronicles, #1)|Frank Herbert|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1311873074s/1685995.jpg|3634639], Zindell’s [b:Neverness|2030987|Neverness|David Zindell|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1336192264s/2030987.jpg|2035642], or Simmons’ [b:Hyperion|77566|Hyperion (Hyperion Cantos, #1)|Dan Simmons|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1332885131s/77566.jpg|1383900]. Perhaps it was Flynn’s use of a dual narrative structure in which the main story was a tale being told by a character in another narrating arc, but I don’t think that’s it: I am not averse to the technique (indeed it’s not unlike that used by Simmons’ in _Hyperion_) and I don’t think Flynn did a bad job in making it work.

Perhaps the story was too much of an obvious set-up for the required sequels. There was a lot happening, but so much of it was seemingly to get the board into a state of readiness for the game to *really* proceed that it might have made the story of this volume itself seem weak, unable to support its own weight. Whatever the case may be, I did quite like the story Flynn had to tell, but I just wanted to love it more.

We follow the wanderings of a group of characters as they in turn follow the peregrinations of an alien artifact able to change its shape imperceptibly (and may have other, less benign powers) that was discovered by the tramp freighter captain Amos January (hence its name, The January Dancer) as it moves from hand to hand across large swathes of known human space. As various players from different factions come across the Dancer (or rumours of it) a race to attain the hidden power of the alien artifact begins. We are given a tour of many of the main worlds that make up the loose conglomeration of planets known as the United League of the Periphery (under the nominal control of the Ardry of High Tara and his specially trained police force, the Hounds) whose great enemy, the Confederation of Central Worlds (in which is held the lost home-world of Old Earth), lies watching and waiting across the great galactic rift.

The main characters (and even many of the secondary ones) are fairly well-fleshed out and have interesting motivations, the prose is very good, and the story moves along at a decent clip. Somehow though I just didn’t fall completely under the story’s spell. I have to admit, though, that the final reveal about the Dancer was pretty freakin’ awesome and well worth the lead-up. All-in-all a worthy read. ( )
1 vote dulac3 | Apr 2, 2013 |
Tramp space freighter captain stops for repairs at a distant planet and discovers an alien ship with artifacts. He keeps the only one that could be removed, the Dancer, and what unfolds is an extraordinary story that spans the outer reaches of the galactic arm.
The opening scene caught my attention and though I felt Michael was a tad too wordy at places, it proved to be an entertaining read. The cast of characters (unique, realistic and fraught with human foibles) was almost too many to follow and the stories at first appeared independent of each other, but the pieces made sense coming together near the end.
I was rather surprised at the ending as I hadn't expected such a logical solution. Still it provided a satisfying conclusion, though I was a little miffed that the scarred man's identity wasn't revealed.
Overall a lengthy, but good read. This is the style of writing that wins scifi awards, though I prefer less convolution and far less time delving into the minds and motivations of the characters. For someone who does love this, I would recommend this book. ( )
  DavidLErickson | Jul 2, 2012 |
To Hari, Bikram, Sandeep, Yash, and the rest of the gang down in Old Chennai
Everything in the universe is older than it seems.

A triumph of the New Space Opera: fast, complicated, wonder-filled!

Hugo Award finalist and Robert A. Heinlein Award–winning SF writer Michael Flynn now turns to space opera with stunningly successful results. Full of rich echoes of space opera classics from Doc Smith to Cordwainer Smith, The January Dancer tells the fateful story of an ancient pre-human artifact of great power, and the people who found it.

Starting with Captain Amos January, who quickly loses it, and then the others who fought, schemed, and killed to get it, we travel around the complex, decadent, brawling, mongrelized interstellar human civilization the artifact might save or destroy. Collectors want the Dancer; pirates take it, rulers crave it, and they’ll all kill if necessary to get it. This is a thrilling yarn of love, revolution, music, and mystery, and it ends, as all great stories do, with shock and a beginning.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

Drawing on themes from classic space opera works, a fast-paced tale follows the adventures of Captain Amos January and a host of rivals struggling to obtain an ancient pre-human artifact of great power that incites murderous actions in those who seek it. By the Robert A. Heinlein Award-winning author of Eifelheim.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,618,983 books! | Top bar: Always visible