K Is for Korea (World Alphabets) by Hyechong…

K Is for Korea (World Alphabets)

by Hyechong Cheung

I thought this book was a wonderful children’s book for introducing the alphabet. The big idea of the book was to introduce Korean culture through the English alphabet. I liked the fact that the written language was clear and easy to follow. Also, the pictures were wonderful in supporting the written language. This made any unclear words easier to understand through these illustrations. ( )
  dbrock3 | Dec 4, 2015 |
I thought that this was a really cool book! I like how the author incorporates the alphabet into the central message of the book. The central message of the book is to inform readers about Korea and the many things that define its culture. I think that by including a different letter from the alphabet for each part of Korea's culture that the author was describing gave the reader an interesting experience in which they can tie in what they already know about the alphabet with what they are learning about Korea. I also like the photographs in this book. The photographs truly give the reader an idea of what Korea's culture is like and help them connect the text that they are reading to a visual. I also like the borders on each page. Each page has a different color border with what looks like a Korean symbol on it. I think that this is very eye-catching to a reader, which will keep them interested throughout the book. ( )
  abreck2 | Nov 11, 2013 |
K is for Korea is an excellent book that goes through the English ABC's with each letter standing either for a Korean word, or English translation of an aspect of Korean culture/society. It has beautiful photographs taken in Korea for each letter and I was happy to see new concepts covered that were not in some of our other Korean books.
  aevans1 | Nov 27, 2012 |
Personal Response:
The book was nicely done with pictures showing several events in the lives of Korean people. I enjoyed the book and learned more about some of the Korean culture. The book was slim but covered a lot in regards to food, objects, buildings, sights of the area and many new words to learn.

Curricular or Programming Connections:
Excellent curriculum for Korean Cultural Studies
Young Children thru Adult ( )
  CarmellaLee | Jul 11, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 184507789X, Hardcover)

K Is for Korea offers young readers a composite picture comprised of the customs, religions, and cultures — both ancient and modern — that make up this fascinating country. As with each of the books in the series, this one is written by a knowledgeable local. Author Hyechong Cheung carefully selects words starting with each letter of the alphabet to focus on both city and country life, sampling everything from regional food and drink to music and art. Prodeepta Das helps bring each to life with an evocative photograph.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:45 -0400)

With each letter of the alphabet featuring a city or aspect of country life, the ancient and modern world of Korea, its people, culture, and traditions are presented in a richly illustrated addition to the World Alphabet series with color photos throughout.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,238,168 books! | Top bar: Always visible