Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for…

Raising Your Spirited Child: A Guide for Parents Whose Child is More… (1991)

by Mary Sheedy Kurcinka

An excellent book describing children who are intense, perceptive, and sensitive, with ways of helping them cope when life overwhelms them. For any parents with young or pre-teen children, even if they don't think their children fall into this category. Lots of good advice. ( )
  SueinCyprus | Jan 26, 2016 |
I read and reread this book several times as my child grew up; over and over it reassured me that I was not alone and helped me understand my child and myself. An absolute lifesaver. Thank you for writing this, Mary Sheedy Kurcinka. ( )
  Connie-D | Jan 17, 2016 |
I thought that Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's book "Raising your Spirited Child" was pretty informative. It has good information about how kids who are high spirited are different than others and different approaches that can be taken with discipline.

I didn't get a ton of new ideas out of it because many of the tips and techniques are similar to those recommended for parenting children who have experienced trauma. However, there were a few new (to me) ideas sprinkled in. ( )
  amerynth | Jun 10, 2015 |
As the mother of a three-year-old "spunky" son, this book helped me understand more where my son is "coming from" in terms of his personality and why he is the way he is. Acceptance is a huge factor is not losing my own sanity, because spunky and spirited kids are often mis-labeled as troublemakers, ADHD, and so on.

However, I wish this book had more organization. For instance, sections for younger children and then older children would make it more easy to navigate; instead, I waded through anecdotes and information about teens that I am not necessarily concerned about at this moment.

My biggest concern with this book is that it does not offer much in the way of helpful tips in dealing with/communicating with spirited children. It's more of an explanation of why spirited children are the way they are and how their brains work. Which is all well and good, but after I have a layer of background information I would like some tips on how to, for instance, help my child navigate the world more effectively. ( )
  amandacb | Jun 4, 2014 |
Amazing book for anyone with children -- "spirited" or not. ( )
  katttg | Jul 24, 2008 |
Dedicated to:

My husband, Joseph Michael Kurcinka -- without your insight, wit, and organizational eye I couldn't have done it.

My children, Joshua Thomas and Kristina Leah Sheedy Kurcinka -- without you I wouldn't have known.

My parents, Richard and Beatrice Sheedy -- without you I wouldn't be ...
Welcome to "Raising Your Spirited Child."
This is NOT the same work as Raising Your Spirited Child Workbook. The latter is a companion volume to this one.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060923288, Paperback)

Recently, temperament traits have come to the forefront of child development theory. In Raising Your Spirited Child, Mary Sheedy Kurcinka's first contribution is to redefine the "difficult child" as the "spirited" child, a child that is, as she says, MORE. Many people are leery about books that are too quick to "type" kids, but Kurcinka, a parent of a spirited child herself and a parent educator for 20 years, doesn't fall into that trap. Instead, she provides tools to understanding your own temperament as well as your child's. When you understand your temperamental matches--and your mismatches--you can better understand, work, live, socialize, and enjoy spirit in your child. By reframing challenging temperamental qualities in a positive way, and by giving readers specific tools to work with these qualities, Kurcinka has provided a book that will help all parents, especially the parents of spirited children, understand and better parent their children.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:03:24 -0400)

Presents guidance and exercises for parents of "spirited" children on such topics as dealing with tantrums and power struggles, helping a child focus and adapt to change, and recognizing cues when trouble is brewing.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 180 books! | Top bar: Always visible