Self-Editing for Fiction Writers by Renni…

Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (1993)

by Renni Browne

This is an incredibly helpful book for novelists [and would-be novelists]. I have used it for each of my books. [b:Rashi's Daughters, Book 1: Joheved|136960|Rashi's Daughters, Book 1 Joheved|Maggie Anton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172087171s/136960.jpg|131994] and [b:Rav Hisda's Daughter: Book 1 - Apprentice|16045976|Rav Hisda's Daughter Book 1 - Apprentice|Maggie Anton|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1348543795s/16045976.jpg|21824809]and it has been invaluable. I cannot recommend it highly enough. ( )
  Maggie.Anton | Jul 18, 2014 |
As I read this book, I didn't think it would be useful. Then I got to the second half, and it got a lot better.

The first discusses a lot of standards that orange-green belt writers should already know. Like "showing vs. telling" and point of view. If you've read the good writing books like "On Writing", "Characters and Viewpoint", and "Dare to Be a Great Writer: 329 Keys to Powerful Fiction", then you know those basics.

However, some of the later tips do come in handy for reaching that blue belt, like proportion, unsophisticated prose, and the writing exercises. You'd be amazed how often you write something, know in the back of your head that it's stupid, but still fail to fully recognize it. That's why I still check out the writing books from time to time, even though I now see that "On Writing", the first and basically my bible, has screwed me up somewhat.

It's certainly better than "Bird by Bird". ( )
  theWallflower | Mar 26, 2014 |
One of my favourite craft books since "On Writing". A very good, clearly written guide to the technical side of writing. Highly recommended. ( )
  EMaree | Feb 11, 2014 |
Pretty basic stuff, but sound advice. ( )
  marti.booker | Dec 2, 2013 |
I had a friend who was in a doctorate program in writing and helped edit their journal. She told me her professors said that if a writer could only have one writing book on their shelves, this should be it. Renni Browne and and Dave King have worked for decades as an editors and literary agents. That makes their input as valuable as any "name" author--because they've been gatekeepers--and know just what can get your manuscript tossed. There are chapters as such basic precepts as: Show and Tell, Characterization and Exposition, Point of View, Dialogue Mechanics, Voice and more--all very lucid and useful to pour over when going through a manuscript. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Sep 7, 2013 |
In memory of Edwin Spotswood Dillard,
without whom there might be no Editorial Department,
nor would there be a Renni Dillard Browne.
Introduction-
Why self-editing?
Because self-editing is probably the only kind of editing your manuscript will ever get.
What's wrong with this paragraph:

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0060545690, Paperback)

There's not much of the old-style editing going on at publishing houses today. Renni Browne, veteran of William Morrow and other publishers, founded the Editorial Department in 1980 to teach fiction writers the techniques professional editors (many of whom have gone independent) use to prepare a manuscript for publication. In this book, she and senior editor Dave King share their accumulated expertise in a series of brilliantly compact lessons. One page from their simply and markedly improved version of a scene from The Great Gatsby alone would make a compelling advertisement for their techniques. Very highly recommended. --MTB

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:33:05 -0400)

"Hundreds of books have been written on the art of writing. Here at last is a book by two professional editors to teach writers the techniques of the editing trade that turn promising manuscripts into published novels and short stories." "In this completely revised and updated second edition, Renni Browne and Dave King teach you, the writer, how to apply the editing techniques they have developed to your own work. Chapters on dialogue, exposition, point of view, interior monologue, and other techniques take you through the same processes an expert editor would go through to perfect your manuscript. Each point is illustrated with examples, many drawn from the hundreds of books Brown and King have edited."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,563,749 books! | Top bar: Always visible