Self-Editing for Fiction Writers (1993)

by Renni Browne

"Hundreds of books have been written on the art of writing. Here at last is a book by two professional editors to teach writers the techniques of the editing trade that turn promising manuscripts into published novels and short stories." "In this completely revised and updated second edition, Renni Browne and Dave King teach you, the writer, how to apply the editing techniques they have developed to your own work. Chapters on dialogue, exposition, point of view, interior monologue, and other techniques take you through the same processes an expert editor would go through to perfect your manuscript. Each point is illustrated with examples, many drawn from the hundreds of books Brown and King have edited."--BOOK JACKET.… (more)

Works best read front cover to back cover. First time I read it I tried picking and choosing and got frustrated. The topic areas were good, the examples were clear (I liked that they used first drafts for examples and then showed a corrected version) and the writing didn't interrupt the message. I won't keep the book on my desk, but I may reread at some point, and I'd consider buying another book by the same authors.

Probably the part that stands out compared to other books on similar areas, is the supportive feeling of the tone - it was neither condescending, nor lecturing, which I found refreshing. ( )
  Happenence | Oct 2, 2020 |
I read this years ago before I ever had anything published and would rate it as one of the most useful books I read on the subject. Definitely worth checking out if you're interested in writing novels. ( )
  James_Maxey | Jun 29, 2020 |
I can see why this comes so highly recommended. For me, the thing I liked the most was that it didn't aim its information too low - so many writing theory books proceed as though the reader has barely even strung a sentence together before.

A lot of the things in here are fairly standard pieces of advice, but they're written in an engaging and straightforward manner. There are good hints for taking your writing that step further as well. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
Excellent book for fine tuning your craft. It was recommended by an agent. ( )
  caanderson | Mar 1, 2020 |
I seriously love this book. I feel like it's improved my writing tenfold in the few months since I've finished it. ( )
  MorganDax | Jan 28, 2020 |

Renni Browneprimary authorall editionscalculated
King, Davesecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
In memory of Edwin Spotswood Dillard,
without whom there might be no Editorial Department,
nor would there be a Renni Dillard Browne.
Introduction-
Why self-editing?
Because self-editing is probably the only kind of editing your manuscript will ever get.
What's wrong with this paragraph:

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 154,639,417 books! | Top bar: Always visible