Silks by Dick Francis

Silks (2008)

by Dick Francis, Felix Francis (Author)

English (30)  Dutch (1)  All (31)
SPOILER ALERT:

I was very disappointed by the end of this book. I have one last Francis book to read, so they are precious commodities now, and when the protagonist did a 180 from the now expected (and loved) Francis protagonist and ended the book--I seem to be physically incapable of doing a complete spoiler, so I will say that part of what I have come to love about Francis books is that the protagonists are very moral people. I don't mean religious, I mean they live within a code of ethics that does not permit violence except as self defense. An attempt was made to justify the character's final action in that way, but it doesn't wash.

I am sure most people won't be troubled by it, but I am. C'est la vie. ( )
  thesmellofbooks | Apr 22, 2017 |
Not traditional Dick Francis but a decent legal thriller. ( )
  cygnet81 | Jan 17, 2016 |
Sloppily plotted Dick Francis...but somehow hard to put down nonetheless.

In Francis' contemporary novels his heroes take their own vengeance and swear explicitly. Older people are more often maddeningly stupid, as the protagonist's father in this book and Sid Halley's father-in-law in "Under Orders".

I don't feel that I know a whole lot more about the English judicial system than I did before I read the book, but I do have an idea of where Wormwood Scrubs is located.

In this novel the protagonist is inconsistent, terrified for one week and quite untroubled the next. So many characters seem to be terrified by one man who isn't even armed; Francis' earlier books had tougher incidental characters who had to be threatened with a weapon before they caved in.

The tardy response of the police has a realistic quality.

The remarks the cleaners make about cleaning out the homes of people who had died and hadn't been noticed for a while ring disturbingly true.

There are many standard Francis plot contrivances...the post victory battle, and the hero, in crutches or a cast due to a previous incident, having to fight his entirely whole enemies. ( )
  themulhern | Oct 4, 2014 |
I love Dick Francis's books. This one written with his son carries on the tradition. Good pacing, good characters, good story, startling ending. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Fun, interesting, pretty standard Francis (which is good, since this one is mostly Felix writing). The pun in the title refers to jockeys' riding silks and the upper-level barristers called Queen's Counsels and nicknamed 'silks'. The hero is a part-time jockey and a full-time barrister (some discussion of the differences between solicitor and barrister, in English law; also some discussion of the structure of English courts and the differences between them and European ones). Blackmail (rather crude), murder, assault, a rather thoroughly-set-up frame, and (of course, it is a Francis) a love affair. The hero suffers two (three?) attacks from enemies, but takes considerably more damage from a racecourse fall. And I knew what would happen with the torso reinforcement as soon as it was mentioned - expected it earlier, when he yelled at Trent, actually. Not a bad story, not a favorite, but I suspect I will reread it with enjoyment in a while. ( )
  jjmcgaffey | Nov 3, 2013 |

Dick Francisprimary authorall editionscalculated
Francis, FelixAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Our thanks to
Miles Bennett, Barrister, Guy Ladenburg, Barrister, David Whitehouse, QC
"Guilty."

Unabridged CDs ? 9 CDs, 10 1?2 hours

The Grand Master returns in prizewinning form.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:12:52 -0400)

Geoffrey Mason is well known (as "Perry" Mason) among the pro riders, including Steve Mitchell and Scot Barlow--arguably the two top pros. So when Scot Barlow is murdered--with Mitchell's pitchfork nonetheless--Geoff finds himself pulled into the case as a junior barrister.… (more)

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,924,374 books! | Top bar: Always visible