Maailman valloittajat. by Desmond Reid

Maailman valloittajat.

by Desmond Reid

411,664,912 (3)None

Detection with more than a hint of a science fiction influence. Is it a good idea ? Well, I`m not against it in principle but it will take more than this to convince me it works in practise.

First, the details. This was credited to the fictitious Desmond Reid with an additional note "Novel based on an original short story by Rex Dolphin". However, informed sources suggest that the story was in fact Dolphin`s work from start to finish.

At the start of the story we do encounter a small outcrop of good writing ("Dusk hung like a gold, gauze curtain over everything. the heat of the dying day still lingered pleasantly"), but the general style is exaggeratedly pulpy and becomes quite wearing.

For reasons I can`t go into now, Blake, Tinker and an associate find themselves despatched to the Arctic. Initially, they are placed on a survival course to acclimatise themselves. I enjoyed this secton and it held my attention well, as did their initial experiences at a secret location in that area.

For the third and final section we have yet another change of mood and another change of style, and I must admit I began to lose interest. Towards the end, Blake starts musing on world affairs in an almost philosophical manner and the effect is simply ridiculous.

Like Tinker, one is relieved when it`s all over and the Blake team can get back to `normal` crime.

My experience of Dolphin`s work is that the quality control was a bit patchy. Nevertheless I`m convinced he had a talent and fully intend to explore his other works when time allows. ( )

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,988,985 books! | Top bar: Always visible