The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

The Great Hunt

by Robert Jordan

Series: Wheel of Time (2)

English (77)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (79)
The second book in Robert Jordan's EPIC Wheel of Time series, The Great Hunt is a great contribution to the series. I first read this 27 years ago, and while I remembered the general storyline, I forgot the big climactic finish! The only thing that irked me a bit (and as I remember, I was irked through all the books I managed to read in this series the first time) is the main character's constant complaining about not wanting to have or use his powers. I'm hoping he grows out of the complaining eventually! ( )
  LisaMorr | Oct 7, 2017 |
Well, it now starts to come together. Boo one was a little bit boring and confusing for my liking but to my surprise I didn’t find it long. It is very rare that I enjoy a book longer than 500 pages but recently it happened more than once, not sure if it’s me or the books. Kidding, for sure it’s the good books.

The story begins right where the first book finished.Rand accompanies his two friend along with a Shienarian army to retrieve the horn from dark friends. Nynaeve and Egwene are going to White Tower to become Aye Sedai. Rand is struggling with his faith but he forces to channel.
I can’t decide yet what I make out of Rand, for sure he is not a strong main character. So much doubt, so much fear, and still confused about too many things, not only him.But then I think maybe that’s how it should be. To see him grow and become he needs to be, should be. I’ll wait to see what’s happening in next books, it’s just the beginning I guess.
My most favorite character of book two is Nynaeve, doing everything she can to help her friends from two river. Looks like she sees herself still as their Wisdom and don’t want to give up on them. She is the voice of wisdom so many times when Egwene is all energy, excitement and worry about Rand.

Soon I’ll start the third book and I’m sure will be more confused by many new characters. Hell, why there are so many already? How many more are going to be added in next 12 books? ( )
  ardvisoor | Jun 5, 2017 |
Slow read. I struggled to get through this. It seemed like the author wanted to describe everything and everyone. He spent so much time creating this world that it felt like very little actually happened. A problem I heard gets worse as the series goes on.

It seemed obvious that there was more to Selene than she was letting on.

Poor Rand, he desperately wants to escape his fate. He doesn't want to be the Dragon reborn, but he is. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 29, 2017 |
Rarely does a sequel improve upon the first book. However, I feel that The Great Hunt may have even improved upon the first book in the series. It was filled with all the same things and both the world and characters received more development. The book centered on Rand and the journey of him coming to terms with his destiny. I kept waiting for him to finally accept who he is and it was almost frustrating watching him run away from his destiny. Nynaeve also was focused on some. I went from completely loathing her to actually kind of liking her. Some new characters were also introduced, while some from the first novel took more of a back seat (Lan and Moiraine). I wished there was a little more development from Mat, but he still the same annoying and useless character he was in the first book. And anything that seemed like able about him in The Eye of the World quickly became obnoxious. I really wouldn't mind if he was killed off in the next book. But on the whole this book was really great and Robert Jordan fully discontented from the Lord of the Rings and created his own interesting world. I'm excited to read the rest of the series ( )
  RickyHaas | Dec 31, 2016 |
This was fantastic. Even better, imo, than the previous book. Lots of epic'ness and glimpses into a world that is older, more mysterious and intriguing, than we can truly imagine. I am simply enjoying this without thinking of the future books, cause that would spoil things. These beginning books are the reason this series is so fantastic. It has a solid foundation. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide... Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth. In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people, and he shall break the world again by his coming, tearing apart all ties that bind. Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation.

--From The Karaethon Cycles: The Prophecies of the Dragon,

as translated by Ellaine Marise'idin Alshinn,
Chief Librarian at the Court of Arafel,
in the Year of Grace 231 of the New Era, the Third Age
And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the Prophecies, as he was in Ages past and will be in Ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

--from Caral Drianaan te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon,
Author unknown, the Fourth Age
This book is dedicated to Lucinda Culpin, Al Dempsey, Tom Doherty, Susan England, Dick Gallen, Cathy Grooms, Marisa Grooms, Wilson and Janet Grooms, John Jarrold, the Johnson City Boys (Mike Leslie, Kenneth Loveless, James D. Lund, Paul R. Robinson), Karl Lundgren, William McDougal, the Montana Gang (Eldon Carter, Ray Grenfell, Ken Miller, Rod Moore, Dick Schimdt, Ray Sessions, Ed Widley, Mike Wildey, and Sherman Williams), Charlie Moore, Lousia Cheves Popham Raoul, Ted and Sydney Rigney, Robert A. T. Scott, Bryan and Sharon Webb, and Heather Wood.
They came to my aid when God walked across the water and true Eye of the World passed over my house.
The man who called himself Bors, at least in this place, sneered at the low murmuring that rolled around the vaulted chamber like the soft gabble of geese.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed national bestseller The Eye of the World. The monumental task of retrieving the lost Horn of Valere--the legendary horn that will raise the dead heroes of the Ages--rests on the shoulders of Rand al'Thor. Here he begins the long journey of discovery.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages. And it is stolen.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,588,113 books! | Top bar: Always visible