The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2)…

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2) (edition 1991)

by Robert Jordan

Member:crazyfish
Title:The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 705 pages

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

English (58)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (60)
Don't get me wrong; I liked the book but it sags in the middle. Things plod along, I suppose building tension. The only tension I could feel was wanting to lift the needle off of a broken record. Then, suddenly everything happens a little too neatly in four or five chapters. It's as if Robert Jordan had a goal of making it to 600 pages and then discovered he hadn't moved the plot significantly over the last 400 or so, or had a sudden deadline to meet. I mean, really... In two thousand years, nobody had ever though about how to handle the Damane problem? An epic battle happens in six pages? Six? It took as many to talk about stale bread and cheese. ( )
  mpawloski | Dec 14, 2014 |
Full disclosure - I don't know why I am reading any more books from this series. I have a problem with repetition and in the preface Jordan writes the phrase, "the man who called himself Bors" no less than 23 times. I get it. He wants you to know the guy's name isn't really Bors. As a result of the preface, I expected nothing less in the rest of the book. There is a lot of repetition between the first and second book to "catch you up" if you didn't read the first one. However, truth be told, very little changes in the next installment of the Wheel of Time series. Everything is still over-the-top dramatic ("eyes more dead than death" p xiv). Rand al'Thor is still the reluctant hero. Trollocs are still terrible. Egwene is still conflicted and childlike. They still have this weird romance thing lingering. Probably the more interesting thing about them at this point is that they go on different journeys. Still, it wasn't enough to keep me glued to the page.
And another thing! Can I just say how annoyed I am by the sheer number of groups, nations, societies and the like? Good grief! You have aielmen, arad doman, caemyl, cairhien, children of the light, darkfriends, dai shan, dreadlords, far dareis mai, eyeless, forsaken, fades, gaiden, goaban, hardan, hundred companions, lurks, manetheren, marath'damane, mydraal, halfmen, questioners, shadowmen, sea folk, taraboners, tinkers, tree killers, trollocs, tuatha'an, warders, watchers over the waves, white cloaks, women's circle, and wisdom. Let's not forget about the aes sedai who can be red, brown or blue, or the ajah who can be blue, red, white, green, brown, yellow or gray (where's the purple, orange or pink?). ( )
1 vote SeriousGrace | Oct 30, 2014 |
Loved it! Continues the story with lots of action and adventure. On to Book 3! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book was not as long as the first one. Yet, I found myself truly annoyed at the long windedness of passages from the book. Robert Jordan has an affinity for detailed explanations for EVERYTHING! Just their journey along to Torman Head took forever. Character development, like the last book, is somewhat slow but I still liked the book. On to the Dragon Reborn! ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Here's another really fun installment of The Wheel of Time. Like The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt kept me thoroughly entertained. Everything I said in the review for The Eye of the Wold goes for this book, too.

We get to meet some excellent secondary heroes and villains in The Great Hunt -- Egeanin and the Seanchan from across the sea who use captured and chained women with power to fight for them, and ship captain Bayle Doman, for example.

There was only one truly obnoxious scene in The Great Hunt: three women get possessive about Rand while he lays dying. I wonder if Robert Jordan thought that women really act like that in emergency situations?

Overall, I enjoyed this read -- it's certainly one of the better novels in The Wheel of Time series. The audiobook production is excellent. Too bad the cover art is so horrid.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #1) by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown of Swords, and Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

5 Titles By Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (1-5) : 1. The Eye of the World 2. The Great Hunt 3. The Dragon Reborn 4. by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

Contains

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide... Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth. In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people, and he shall break the world again by his coming, tearing apart all ties that bind. Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation.

--From The Karaethon Cycles: The Prophecies of the Dragon,

as translated by Ellaine Marise'idin Alshinn,
Chief Librarian at the Court of Arafel,
in the Year of Grace 231 of the New Era, the Third Age
And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the Prophecies, as he was in Ages past and will be in Ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

--from Caral Drianaan te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon,
Author unknown, the Fourth Age
This book is dedicated to Lucinda Culpin, Al Dempsey, Tom Doherty, Susan England, Dick Gallen, Cathy Grooms, Marisa Grooms, Wilson and Janet Grooms, John Jarrold, the Johnson City Boys (Mike Leslie, Kenneth Loveless, James D. Lund, Paul R. Robinson), Karl Lundgren, William McDougal, the Montana Gang (Eldon Carter, Ray Grenfell, Ken Miller, Rod Moore, Dick Schimdt, Ray Sessions, Ed Widley, Mike Wildey, and Sherman Williams), Charlie Moore, Lousia Cheves Popham Raoul, Ted and Sydney Rigney, Robert A. T. Scott, Bryan and Sharon Webb, and Heather Wood.
They came to my aid when God walked across the water and true Eye of the World passed over my house.
The man who called himself Bors, at least in this place, sneered at the low murmuring that rolled around the vaulted chamber like the soft gabble of geese.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed national bestseller The Eye of the World. The monumental task of retrieving the lost Horn of Valere--the legendary horn that will raise the dead heroes of the Ages--rests on the shoulders of Rand al'Thor. Here he begins the long journey of discovery.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages. And it is stolen.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,363,328 books! | Top bar: Always visible