The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2)…

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2) (edition 1991)

by Robert Jordan

Member:crazyfish
Title:The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 705 pages

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

English (56)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (58)
Loved it! Continues the story with lots of action and adventure. On to Book 3! ( )
  darcy36 | Jul 8, 2014 |
This book was not as long as the first one. Yet, I found myself truly annoyed at the long windedness of passages from the book. Robert Jordan has an affinity for detailed explanations for EVERYTHING! Just their journey along to Torman Head took forever. Character development, like the last book, is somewhat slow but I still liked the book. On to the Dragon Reborn! ( )
  seaofsorrow | May 20, 2014 |
ORIGINALLY POSTED AT Fantasy Literature.

Here's another really fun installment of The Wheel of Time. Like The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt kept me thoroughly entertained. Everything I said in the review for The Eye of the Wold goes for this book, too.

We get to meet some excellent secondary heroes and villains in The Great Hunt -- Egeanin and the Seanchan from across the sea who use captured and chained women with power to fight for them, and ship captain Bayle Doman, for example.

There was only one truly obnoxious scene in The Great Hunt: three women get possessive about Rand while he lays dying. I wonder if Robert Jordan thought that women really act like that in emergency situations?

Overall, I enjoyed this read -- it's certainly one of the better novels in The Wheel of Time series. The audiobook production is excellent. Too bad the cover art is so horrid.
Read more Robert Jordan book reviews at Fantasy literature. ( )
  Kat_Hooper | Apr 6, 2014 |
Yeah, definitely not my thing. ( )
  KateBond | Sep 20, 2013 |
From my blog:

We finished up our readalong for The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan a couple weeks ago, so it’s time for the review :D. There will be spoilers for those who haven’t read The Eye of the World, but not for the Great Hunt. I have to say that I didn’t find The Great Hunt as compelling as the first book for most of the book, however I loved the ending much more than the ending of The Eye of the World, so it worked out ;-). We’ll be continuing our reading of this epic fantasy series (epic in terms of length too D:), so keep your eye out for the first read along post :D.

Strengths:
As I said above, the ending of the Great Hunt is so epic and much more clear than in The Eye of the World. There were also so many feelings, omg! Just the way I like it ;-).
There are a lot of story lines going on in the Great Hunt (and the series in general), but they are weaved together elegantly before once again splitting as characters go on their way for the moment ;-).
Awesome plot twists! I definitely didn’t see the big one coming and it was so moving and made a lot of sense in hindsight. I always appreciate being surprised :D (in books, not in life though >.>)
We are continuing to find out more and more about the world in The Great Hunt, including a lot about the Aes Sedai and the people of Artur Hawkwing that had been hinted at previously!

Weaknesses:
For me at least, the first 2/3 of The Great Hunt were rather slow. This is where a readalong comes in handy, since I pushed through and didn’t just put the book down, which did pay off in the end ;-).
There were a few information dumps barely disguised as long sequences of dialogue or characters teaching others. Those got a little boring after a while.
This was pointed out by Nrlymrtl, but the beginning of The Great Hunt remarkably familiar, ie just like the beginning of The Eye of the World…. Peace interrupted by a Trolloc attack leading to a great chase. The only difference was this time they were chasing the Trollocs >.>.

Summary:
While I had trouble getting into The Great Hunt, the ending more than made up for any slow parts. I literally got shivers multiple times while reading the ending (with white knuckles… poor book!). If you like high fantasy and all the complicated story lines, intricate world, and grand adventures that go with it, then you will probably enjoy continuing the Wheel of Time series. However, the Great Hunt also had the typical weaknesses of the genre, so you better be in the mood otherwise you might get bogged down in all those details. ( )
  anyaejo | Sep 7, 2013 |

Reading, KateNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #1) by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown of Swords, and Path of Daggers by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

5 Titles By Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (1-5) : 1. The Eye of the World 2. The Great Hunt 3. The Dragon Reborn 4. by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

The Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, the Dragon Reborn, the Shadow Rising, the Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, a Crown of Swords, the Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight (The Wheel of Time, 1-10) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time (The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan, Wheel of Time , 11 Books Collection Set New (The Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, Crossroads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown by Robert Jordan

8 " Wheel of Time " PAPERBACKS (#1 the eye of the world #2 the great hunt #3 the dragon reborn #4 the shadow rising #5 the fires of heaver #6 lord of chaos #7 is missing #8 the path of daggers #9 winters heart) by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time Series Book Set 1 and 2 Includes Eye of the World and the Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, 1,2) by Robert Jordan

Complete Wheel of Time 12 Volume Hardbound Set Plus Companion Volume: The World of Robert Jordan's The Wheel of Time by Robert Jordan

Robert Jordan: Wheel of Time - 11 Book Set (Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, A Crown of Swords, The Path of Daggers, Winter's Heart, CrossRoads of Twilight, Knife of Dreams) by Robert Jordan

The Complete Wheel Of Time by Robert Jordan

Contains

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide... Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth. In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people, and he shall break the world again by his coming, tearing apart all ties that bind. Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation.

--From The Karaethon Cycles: The Prophecies of the Dragon,

as translated by Ellaine Marise'idin Alshinn,
Chief Librarian at the Court of Arafel,
in the Year of Grace 231 of the New Era, the Third Age
And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the Prophecies, as he was in Ages past and will be in Ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

--from Caral Drianaan te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon,
Author unknown, the Fourth Age
This book is dedicated to Lucinda Culpin, Al Dempsey, Tom Doherty, Susan England, Dick Gallen, Cathy Grooms, Marisa Grooms, Wilson and Janet Grooms, John Jarrold, the Johnson City Boys (Mike Leslie, Kenneth Loveless, James D. Lund, Paul R. Robinson), Karl Lundgren, William McDougal, the Montana Gang (Eldon Carter, Ray Grenfell, Ken Miller, Rod Moore, Dick Schimdt, Ray Sessions, Ed Widley, Mike Wildey, and Sherman Williams), Charlie Moore, Lousia Cheves Popham Raoul, Ted and Sydney Rigney, Robert A. T. Scott, Bryan and Sharon Webb, and Heather Wood.
They came to my aid when God walked across the water and true Eye of the World passed over my house.
The man who called himself Bors, at least in this place, sneered at the low murmuring that rolled around the vaulted chamber like the soft gabble of geese.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed national bestseller The Eye of the World. The monumental task of retrieving the lost Horn of Valere--the legendary horn that will raise the dead heroes of the Ages--rests on the shoulders of Rand al'Thor. Here he begins the long journey of discovery.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages. And it is stolen.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,242,929 books! | Top bar: Always visible