The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2)…

The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2) (edition 1991)

by Robert Jordan

Member:crazyfish
Title:The Great Hunt (The Wheel of Time, Book 2)
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Tor Fantasy (1991), Mass Market Paperback, 705 pages

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

English (76)  French (1)  Dutch (1)  All (78)
Well, it now starts to come together. Boo one was a little bit boring and confusing for my liking but to my surprise I didn’t find it long. It is very rare that I enjoy a book longer than 500 pages but recently it happened more than once, not sure if it’s me or the books. Kidding, for sure it’s the good books.

The story begins right where the first book finished.Rand accompanies his two friend along with a Shienarian army to retrieve the horn from dark friends. Nynaeve and Egwene are going to White Tower to become Aye Sedai. Rand is struggling with his faith but he forces to channel.
I can’t decide yet what I make out of Rand, for sure he is not a strong main character. So much doubt, so much fear, and still confused about too many things, not only him.But then I think maybe that’s how it should be. To see him grow and become he needs to be, should be. I’ll wait to see what’s happening in next books, it’s just the beginning I guess.
My most favorite character of book two is Nynaeve, doing everything she can to help her friends from two river. Looks like she sees herself still as their Wisdom and don’t want to give up on them. She is the voice of wisdom so many times when Egwene is all energy, excitement and worry about Rand.

Soon I’ll start the third book and I’m sure will be more confused by many new characters. Hell, why there are so many already? How many more are going to be added in next 12 books? ( )
  ardvisoor | Jun 5, 2017 |
Slow read. I struggled to get through this. It seemed like the author wanted to describe everything and everyone. He spent so much time creating this world that it felt like very little actually happened. A problem I heard gets worse as the series goes on.

It seemed obvious that there was more to Selene than she was letting on.

Poor Rand, he desperately wants to escape his fate. He doesn't want to be the Dragon reborn, but he is. ( )
  nx74defiant | Jan 29, 2017 |
Rarely does a sequel improve upon the first book. However, I feel that The Great Hunt may have even improved upon the first book in the series. It was filled with all the same things and both the world and characters received more development. The book centered on Rand and the journey of him coming to terms with his destiny. I kept waiting for him to finally accept who he is and it was almost frustrating watching him run away from his destiny. Nynaeve also was focused on some. I went from completely loathing her to actually kind of liking her. Some new characters were also introduced, while some from the first novel took more of a back seat (Lan and Moiraine). I wished there was a little more development from Mat, but he still the same annoying and useless character he was in the first book. And anything that seemed like able about him in The Eye of the World quickly became obnoxious. I really wouldn't mind if he was killed off in the next book. But on the whole this book was really great and Robert Jordan fully discontented from the Lord of the Rings and created his own interesting world. I'm excited to read the rest of the series ( )
  RickyHaas | Dec 31, 2016 |
This was fantastic. Even better, imo, than the previous book. Lots of epic'ness and glimpses into a world that is older, more mysterious and intriguing, than we can truly imagine. I am simply enjoying this without thinking of the future books, cause that would spoil things. These beginning books are the reason this series is so fantastic. It has a solid foundation. ( )
  BookstoogeLT | Dec 10, 2016 |
Great read. Really enjoyed it. What I enjoyed was the imagery of the story telling. Robert Jordan did a great job painting the mental image in my mind of where people were, what they were doing, how they looked and felt, what buildings and landscapes looked like, and so forth. Very rarely did I find myself rereading previous paragraphs or sentences to figure out exactly what he was trying to describe (unlike Brandon Sanderson, actually).

My favorite part of The Eye of the World was when Moiraine, Rand, and comany travel through The Ways. Will this time, Liandrin take Nynaeve, Egwyene and others though. Although not as detailed as the previous book, Jordan didn't skimp on the details, and made sure that you got a good feeling of how The Ways operated, it's fantastical and magical setup, and the fear of the Black Wind.

However, before this, Rand, Hurin, and Loial travel into a "world that could be" via a portal stone. I honestly was not expecting something as fun to read as this experience, especially something as fun as The Ways, but it actually worked very, very well.

While in this world-that-could-be, they meet up with Selene, who appears to be a lady who can channel, and makes it clear that she has the hots for Rand. Rand becomes one with the void, slays a beast saving Selene, and she's all over him like white on rice. It's actually quite entertaining, because the way Jordan portrays Selene, she's quite the shapely woman.

Eventually, they leave the world-that-could-be, and find themselves getting the Horn, in Cairhien, and Jordan again creates a great city with peasants, lords, and everything inbetween. As a show of great talent, Jordan is a fantastic world builder.

Seriously, everything about this book is so great. My only complaint, is that the story felt stretched in a couple areas. As if Jordan is trying to create a thick book with some rice filler, because there is enough to notice it. But really, it's not that bad. Not enough to detract from the story. You just feel like some dialogue should get on with it, or the plot seems a tad slow in areas.

However, the Aes Sedai get more background and character building, as with the Children of the Light. You learn a bit about Ba'alzamon, Lanfear, and the Dark One, as well as a touch more of the magic system. Almost as if Jordan is teasing you to read more (it's working).

There are some great reveals, and the last quarter of the book is hard to put down. Especially the last 5-6 chapters. ( )
  atoponce | Oct 7, 2016 |

Russo, CarolCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

Contains

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide... Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth. In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people, and he shall break the world again by his coming, tearing apart all ties that bind. Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation.

--From The Karaethon Cycles: The Prophecies of the Dragon,

as translated by Ellaine Marise'idin Alshinn,
Chief Librarian at the Court of Arafel,
in the Year of Grace 231 of the New Era, the Third Age
And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the Prophecies, as he was in Ages past and will be in Ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

--from Caral Drianaan te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon,
Author unknown, the Fourth Age
This book is dedicated to Lucinda Culpin, Al Dempsey, Tom Doherty, Susan England, Dick Gallen, Cathy Grooms, Marisa Grooms, Wilson and Janet Grooms, John Jarrold, the Johnson City Boys (Mike Leslie, Kenneth Loveless, James D. Lund, Paul R. Robinson), Karl Lundgren, William McDougal, the Montana Gang (Eldon Carter, Ray Grenfell, Ken Miller, Rod Moore, Dick Schimdt, Ray Sessions, Ed Widley, Mike Wildey, and Sherman Williams), Charlie Moore, Lousia Cheves Popham Raoul, Ted and Sydney Rigney, Robert A. T. Scott, Bryan and Sharon Webb, and Heather Wood.
They came to my aid when God walked across the water and true Eye of the World passed over my house.
The man who called himself Bors, at least in this place, sneered at the low murmuring that rolled around the vaulted chamber like the soft gabble of geese.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed national bestseller The Eye of the World. The monumental task of retrieving the lost Horn of Valere--the legendary horn that will raise the dead heroes of the Ages--rests on the shoulders of Rand al'Thor. Here he begins the long journey of discovery.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages. And it is stolen.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,249,551 books! | Top bar: Always visible