Das Rad der Zeit 02 - Das Original by Robert…

Das Rad der Zeit 02 - Das Original (edition 2004)

by Robert Jordan

Member:jake2012d
Title:Das Rad der Zeit 02 - Das Original
Authors:Robert Jordan
Info:Piper Verlag GmbH (2004), Paperback, 779 pages

The Great Hunt by Robert Jordan

English (82)  French (1)  German (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (85)
Although not as good as book 1 it was still great enough for me to continue to invest the time in continuing with the series. ( )
  Knotai2474 | Sep 4, 2018 |
As with the other book, this is simply the continuation of the story. Jordan’s works don’t have the same feel as many series, where you get a distinct story each book. Instead, his books each feel like just another chapter in the story. Adventure and Danger, Magic and Darkness, Evil Doings and Brave Deeds abound.
High fantasy at its best! ( )
  empress8411 | May 25, 2018 |
Definitely not as compelling as the first one. Still enjoying this, though, and definitely plan on finishing the series. ( )
  gossamerchild88 | Mar 30, 2018 |
The Great Hunt is the second book in the Wheel of Time series. It definitely shows its age and is a very traditional fantasy epic with many known and possibly tired tropes. However, I am enjoying getting to know the characters and can't wait to see where their journey takes them. Rand is a bit of a reluctant hero and spends a lot of this book in denial; I can't wait for him to embrace his destiny. The world building is very detailed and I'm in awe at what Robert Jordan created with this series. ( )
  Vinjii | Mar 26, 2018 |
Maybe 3.5* for the book itself.

While I was swept up in this book (as witnessed by the fact that I listened to the entire 681 pages {paperback length} in 2 days), there were certain features that recurred several times (and had happened in the first book) that I found intensely annoying. One was Nynaeve who continues to act as if everyone should do as she says even when she has no idea of what is going on; this aspect was a bit lessened from the first book so I am willing to concede that maybe this is just character development (or maybe she is just an annoying character). The other one that bothered me a lot was Rand's foolish insistence in ignoring the reality (unpleasant as it may be) by casting the Aes Sedai & Moiraine in particular as his enemies. This attitude was understandable at the beginning of the book but became increasingly hard to take as the story progressed. It was also a bit irritating that he never questioned what Selene might be (other than apparently mind-numbingly beautiful) but I put that down to his youth and her powers.

I did find some interesting allusions in this -- the sa'angreal for example sounds suspiciously like the term used for the Holy Grail (Sangrail or Sangraal). ( )
  leslie.98 | Mar 11, 2018 |

Sweet, Darrell K.Cover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Is contained in

The Wheel of Time (Boxed Set #1) by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of time series by Robert Jordan (1-11) by Robert Jordan

New Spring, Eye of the World, The Great Hunt, The Dragon Reborn, The Shadow Rising, The Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, by Robert Jordan

5 Titles By Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Series (1-5) : 1. The Eye of the World 2. The Great Hunt 3. The Dragon Reborn 4. by Robert Jordan

Wheel of Time, Books 1-11 and prequel "New Spring" by Robert Jordan

The Wheel of Time: Eye of the World, the Great Hunt, Dragon Reborn, Shadow Rising, Fires of Heaven, Lord of Chaos, Crown by Robert Jordan

Contains

And it shall come to pass that what men made shall be shattered, and the Shadow shall lie across the Pattern of the Age, and the Dark One shall once more lay his hand upon the world of man. Women shall weep and men quail as the nations of the earth are rent like rotting cloth. Neither shall anything stand nor abide... Yet one shall be born to face the Shadow, born once more as he was born before and shall be born again, time without end. The Dragon shall be Reborn, and there shall be wailing and gnashing of teeth at his rebirth. In sackcloth and ashes shall he clothe the people, and he shall break the world again by his coming, tearing apart all ties that bind. Like the unfettered dawn shall he blind us, and burn us, yet shall the Dragon Reborn confront the Shadow at the Last Battle, and his blood shall give us the Light. Let tears flow, O ye people of the world. Weep for your salvation.

--From The Karaethon Cycles: The Prophecies of the Dragon,

as translated by Ellaine Marise'idin Alshinn,
Chief Librarian at the Court of Arafel,
in the Year of Grace 231 of the New Era, the Third Age
And men cried out to the Creator, saying, O Light of the Heavens, Light of the World, let the Promised One be born of the mountain, according to the Prophecies, as he was in Ages past and will be in Ages to come. Let the Prince of the Morning sing to the land that green things will grow and the valleys give forth lambs. Let the arm of the Lord of the Dawn shelter us from the Dark, and the great sword of justice defend us. Let the Dragon ride again on the winds of time.

--from Caral Drianaan te Calamon, The Cycle of the Dragon,
Author unknown, the Fourth Age
This book is dedicated to Lucinda Culpin, Al Dempsey, Tom Doherty, Susan England, Dick Gallen, Cathy Grooms, Marisa Grooms, Wilson and Janet Grooms, John Jarrold, the Johnson City Boys (Mike Leslie, Kenneth Loveless, James D. Lund, Paul R. Robinson), Karl Lundgren, William McDougal, the Montana Gang (Eldon Carter, Ray Grenfell, Ken Miller, Rod Moore, Dick Schimdt, Ray Sessions, Ed Widley, Mike Wildey, and Sherman Williams), Charlie Moore, Lousia Cheves Popham Raoul, Ted and Sydney Rigney, Robert A. T. Scott, Bryan and Sharon Webb, and Heather Wood.
They came to my aid when God walked across the water and true Eye of the World passed over my house.
The man who called himself Bors, at least in this place, sneered at the low murmuring that rolled around the vaulted chamber like the soft gabble of geese.

The eagerly awaited sequel to the critically acclaimed national bestseller The Eye of the World. The monumental task of retrieving the lost Horn of Valere--the legendary horn that will raise the dead heroes of the Ages--rests on the shoulders of Rand al'Thor. Here he begins the long journey of discovery.

The Wheel of Time turns and Ages come and pass. What was, what will be, and what is, may yet fall under the Shadow. For centuries, gleemen have told of The Great Hunt of the Horn. Now the Horn itself is found: the Horn of Valere long thought only legend, the Horn which will raise the dead heroes of the ages. And it is stolen.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,563,308 books! | Top bar: Always visible