Money Well Spent: A Strategic Guide to Smart…

Money Well Spent: A Strategic Guide to Smart Philanthropy

by Paul Brest, Hal Harvey (Author)

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book wasn't quite what I expected, like other reviewers. It is written for individuals with lots of money who want to ensure that their capital makes a measurable difference in a desired area. I'm afraid I didn't make it through the entire thing, so I'm leaving the stars aspect of the review out, so as to not skew the quantative side of the reviews. I will, however, be keeping it in my personal library, should I be in a better place in the future to make this type of major financial gift. I have no doubt it will be a useful tool at that time.
  Bonni208 | Apr 18, 2010 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I expected this book to be more about how, for non-profit people, to make money, but it was instead about how to spend it, and to spend it well....

While I don't really have much money to spend, well, none, after paying back student loans, I found this book an interesting and helpful read, and more actually found it quite helpful to learn how to improve my non-profit so philanthropists can be more drawn to it. ( )
  brandydaniels | Sep 10, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Money Well Spent is a valuable resource both for philanthropists and trust managers as well as people working for non-profits that are looking for ways to make their work appeal to donors.

If there is one key lesson from the book, it is this: there is a good way for a program to fail and a bad way. Money spent on a program that fails to meet its goal but results in learning and research is still money well spent. Realizing this lesson when creating programs and deciding when to fund them can make a big difference in the non-profit world.

In a bad economy non-profit organizations need to be able to put together the best possible proposal to attract funding from a diminished pool of resources, and this book will help. ( )
  kbondelli | Aug 29, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Received as an advance copy, only read the first two chapters before it was packed away for moving, so I can't properly review it. Promising start, though.
  cmoore | Jul 23, 2009 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Overall the book is excellent reading. The strength of the Brest and Harvey book lies in its application to a wide range of philanthropic entities and various levels of experience from an individual writing checks to a large foundation. The basic message from the authors is that all philanthropy has the possibility to be strategic, and all those philanthropic funds have the potential to be “money well spent.”
One criticism I could be make from someone who has written grants is that the book is written entirely from a grantmaker’s perspective. A crucial part of successful philanthropy-and Brest and Harvey would no doubt agree-is effective collaboration with grantees.Some discussion of how this can be done effectively, with particular attention to the viewpoints and needs of nonprofit institutions would help .
1 vote Elliot1822 | Jun 11, 2009 |

Paul Brestprimary authorall editionscalculated
Harvey, HalAuthormain authorall editionsconfirmed

"Starting with the premise that strategy makes all the difference in effective giving, the book shows foundations and individual philanthropists the best way to design a strategy to achieve their stated philanthropic goals. Drawing on examples from many different foundations, the authors give philanthropists the framework necessary to harness expert knowledge in various sectors"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul Brest's book Money Well Spent was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,445,443 books! | Top bar: Always visible