Fantasy Classics: Graphic Classics Volume 15…

Fantasy Classics: Graphic Classics Volume 15 (original 2008; edition 2008)

by Tom Pomplun (Editor), H. P. Lovecraft (based on), Nathaniel Hawthorne (based on), L. Frank Baum (based on), Lord Dunsany (Author)12 more, Rod Lott (Author), Ben Avery (Author), Antonella Caputo (Author), Skot Olsen (Illustrator), Mark A. Nelson (Illustrator), Lance Tooks (Author), Brad Teare (Illustrator), Leong Wan Kok (Illustrator), Rachel Masilamani (Illustrator), Lance Tooks (Illustrator), Clark Ashton Smith (Author), Evert Geradts (Illustrator)

13None717,429 (3)None
Member:ElizaJane
Title:Fantasy Classics: Graphic Classics Volume 15
Authors:Tom Pomplun (Editor)
Other authors:H. P. Lovecraft (based on), Nathaniel Hawthorne (based on), L. Frank Baum (based on), Lord Dunsany (Author), Rod Lott (Author)11 more, Ben Avery (Author), Antonella Caputo (Author), Skot Olsen (Illustrator), Mark A. Nelson (Illustrator), Lance Tooks (Author), Brad Teare (Illustrator), Leong Wan Kok (Illustrator), Rachel Masilamani (Illustrator), Lance Tooks (Illustrator), Clark Ashton Smith (Author), Evert Geradts (Illustrator)
Info:Eureka Productions (2008), Edition: 2008, Paperback, 144 pages
Collections:Read but unowned, Library Book
Rating:**1/2
Tags:library, graphic novel, anthology, short stories, fantasy, horror, YA, read2012

Graphic Classics: Fantasy Classics by Tom Pomplun (Editor) (2008)

Reason for Reading: I'm working on reading the complete series.

I'd say this is my least favourite of this series that I've read so far too date. First I'll start off with the art. I found it all incredibly enjoying and each artists style was perfect for each story they illustrated. I especially liked the representation of "Frankenstein's Monster"; truly hideous and yet his eyes show his human emotions: sadness, despair, anguish, anger and madness. As to the stories themselves I found them a motley example of the theme topic "fantasy". Overall from this series, the genre collections are my least favourite as they seem to be a questionable lot labelled under the titular genre. I'm more fond of the broader themes related to specific topics or collections such as Halloween, Christmas, African-American authors; and most fond of the author specific volumes.

This collection starts with Frankenstein, first a retelling of the evening when Mary Wollstonecraft along with Shelley, Byron and others agree to a challenge to each write a "ghost story. Frankenstein is not a ghost story, but this is where she came up with the idea. Secondly is a retelling of the Frankenstein story. As said I enjoyed the art and also the retelling here, but its inclusion is dumbfounding. Frankenstein is not fantasy at all; it is horror or science fiction, separately or combined. My favourite story in the book is a retelling of Hawthorne's Rappaccini's Daughter. I've read a bit of his work but this was new to me and I found the story spooky as well as fantastical; the art gorgeous. Baum's The Glass Dog was another satisfactory entry. Two poems are included but I'm no great connoisseur of poetry and found them each ok. The book then ends with a long adaptation of HP Lovecraft's "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath" I find myself hit miss with Lovecraft. I've read a few short stories here and there, but most commonly come upon him in this situation; a graphic adaptation. Suffice it to say, I either just don't get Lovecraft or I get but can't see the point. It was the latter situation with this story and frankly, it bored me to tears. Great art but aside from "Rappaccini's Daughter" and the non-fantasy "Frankenstein", none that I loved. ( )
  ElizaJane | Dec 4, 2012 |

Is an adaptation of

The Fantasy Classics graphic novel adaptation of Frankenstein should not be combined with the major work or with different graphic novel adaptations. Thank you.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0978791932, Paperback)

Fantasy Classics presents Mary Shelley's "Frankenstein," adapted by Rod Lott and Skot Olsen, with a prologue illustrated by Mark A. Nelson. Plus H.P. Lovecraft's epic fantasy "The Dream Quest of Unknown Kadath," by Ben Avery and Leong Wan Kok, and "Oz" author L. Frank Baum's "The Glass Dog," by Antonella Caputo and Brad Teare. Also Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Rappaccini's Daughter," adapted by Lance Tooks, and poems by fantasy masters Clark Ashton Smith and Lord Dunsany, illustrated by Rachel Masilamani. With a dramatic cover painting by Skot Olsen.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:37:12 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 89,419,280 books! | Top bar: Always visible