I See You Everywhere by Julia Glass

I See You Everywhere

by Julia Glass

I loved Three Junes so so much, that I've wanted to love everything else JG has written. This novel isn't as awful as her second one, but it is also disappointing in a similar way: it feels naive and pat. Although compelling enough that I finished it, and very occasionally touching, mostly it's facile and simplistic in its descriptions and themes of "nature" "science" and "wild animals", and the characters seem too credulous, their lives ingenuously perfect--even in their experience of despair, anger, loss! (the series of boyfriends/lovers/husbands, the food and cooking, the specific music that supposedly is for emotional flavor but will date,not in a good way, all appear too correct and too good to be true and carefully tied up).
The most interesting and believable character was the distant, irritating, hunting-hound mother, and reminded me of that wonderful segment of Three Junes.
I found out afterwards that this JG's most autobiographical book, and I'm sorry that the author experienced the losses she describes in her life, but it just goes to show that "writing what you know" doesn't mean it's going to be good art, or even feel truthful and moving to readers.
In the end the book reminded me how much better Andrea Barret writes about science and nature (exploring, through these themes, many profound issues in her books) and, of course, the ultimate, AS Byatt, who also writes about those issues as well as about family and loss in a rigorously intellectual, never facile, and always thought-provoking and emotionally convincing way that is never simplistically plotted or tied up in the end. ( )
  lxydis | May 11, 2013 |
Beautiful and wise. I liked this one at least as much as The Whole World Over, and there were only two main characters to follow here instead of 3 . Julia Glass is one of those few authors I have complete confidence in; I know I'll like whatever she writes. ( )
  JennyArch | Apr 3, 2013 |
Yeah no. Classic case of getting sucked in by a pretty cover, but then the interior novel falls short. This is (unbeknownst to me) a series of not really connected vignettes, about two sisters, both of whom narrate. Sometimes in the same chapter. Without any defining characteristics. At times, I wasn't even aware the narration had changed until the sister I THOUGHT was speaking was called out by name. The short stories span years at a time, but don't flow, so it's a series of choppy, confusing, somewhat boring mini stories. AND THEN the younger sister KILLS HERSELF. YES. WHAT. I had to read it three times to make sure I understood what had happened. Believe me when I understand that suicide can sometimes feel like it comes out of nowhere but this literally came out of NOWHERE. Thankfully, I wasn't as attached to the characters, so I just kept right on plugging through until the end. thank Jesus I rented this from the library, I'd be seriously bummed if I bought this one. Nope. No thanks. ( )
  aelizabethj | Apr 1, 2013 |
can't remember if I read this or didn't finish. didn't like her other recent book maybe this one too. ( )
  gsusie4 | May 18, 2012 |
ok
  jenny.whitman | Apr 9, 2012 |
In this life, in this life, in this life,
In this oh sweet life
We're coming in from the cold
--Bob Marley
For Carolyn and Robert
I avoid reunions.

From the author of the best-selling Three Junes comes an intimate new work of fiction: a tale of two sisters, together and apart, told in their alternating voices over twenty-five years.

Louisa Jardine is the older one, the conscientious student, precise and careful: the one who years for a good marriage, an artistic career, a family. Clem, the archetypal youngest, is the rebel: uncontainable, iconoclastic, committed to her work but not to the men who fall for her daring nature. Louisa resents that the charismatic Clem has always been the favorite; yet as Clem puts it, “On the other side of the fence–mine–every expectation you fulfill . . . puts you one stop closer to that Grand Canyon rim from which you could one day rule the world–or plummet in very grand style.”

In this vivid, heartrending story of what we can and cannot do for those we love, the sisters grow closer as they move farther apart. Louis settles in New York while Clem, a wildlife biologist, moves restlessly about until she lands in the Rocky Mountains. Their complex bond, Louisa observes, is “like a double helix, two souls coiling around a common axis, joined yet never touching.”

Alive with all the sensual detail and riveting characterization that mark Glass’s previous work, I See You Everywhere is a piercingly candid story of life and death, companionship and sorrow, and the nature of sisterhood itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:47 -0400)

Louisa Jardine is the older one, the conscientious sister who is a good student, and yearns for a good marriage, a career and a family. Clem Jardine is the younger sister -- the uncontainable rebel, daring and irresistible to men, and a constant source of frustration to her more reliable sister. Alternating between the sisters voices, I See You Everywhere unfolds across a 25-year span, from 1980 to 2005, beginning when Louisa and Clem are in their early twenties. A tale of jealousy and anger, affection and devotion.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,538,094 books! | Top bar: Always visible